Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Interior color L278 or L71?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joshua B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Interior color L278 or L71? Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ok I have some color confusion on this color. I am in search of the interior seat frame, steering column, shifter etc, color for a Pastel Green Zwitter. My column and Steering wheel are the same colors, unlike the lighter Azure Blue seat frames and column. Some say it is L71, some say L71 is the darker brown color for split dash splits, or is it L278? So, any ideas? If so does anyone have a paint code, in a single stage, that is a match for it in another brand other than Glasurit? My local paint shop wants to charge crazy $$$ for Glasurit, like $125 for 8oz.
John cilia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior color L278 or L71? Reply with quote

I was told by another member too try Lada car color 509.
You might like it but I had paint guy to just keep adding white to it until I liked it. I thought 509 was close but darker than I thought.
Just my opinion.
John

The most important thing on a Tombstone is the Dash between the 2 dates.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bakersam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Interior color L278 or L71? Reply with quote

Go to a good auto paint shop and talk to them about using PPG instead of Glasurit. PPG has a dead on match for L11 pastel green using the CONCEPT (DCC) mixing scheme. They may be able to similarly help you. Check and see if PPG doesn't list your desired paint code. Depending on your local environmental regulations, you may not be able to get this in a spray where you live. Also try https://www.paintscratch.com/ They can probably get you the color in a can or spray. I've had kind of a mixed result with their L11 product for instance, but it'd be worth a try. It won't set you back much in any case. Last, but not least, have you tried Wolfsburg West? They have a somewhat limited selection of colors, but it's worth a phone call to find out if they can help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joshua B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Interior color L278 or L71? Reply with quote

Thanks for the help

Josh
sweden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Interior color L278 or L71? Reply with quote

From what i know L71 is the darker brown that are on 1952 split L 73 chestnut brown.
Pictures from an split 1952.

Pastellgreen shall have RAL 1019 Graubeige = Grey Beige
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joshua B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Interior color L278 or L71? Reply with quote

Update. So i ordered a couple of 2k single stage aerosol cans in RAL 1019. Was disappointed with the match pretty far off and way too light. It is almost a pretty close match to 56-57 beige steering column. Maybe it was the shop that mixed it, not sure. here is the comparison:

I then took it to a local body shop and had them mix me some paint way closer. Not sure, but I will post anyway, maybe the label will help someone else get a close paint match.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior color L278 or L71? Reply with quote

Joshua B wrote:
I then took it to a local body shop and had them mix me some paint way closer. Not sure, but I will post anyway, maybe the label will help someone else get a close paint match.

I don't know if "Highway Materials Tan" is a standard color but it might be better to post the exact mixture they used.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joshua B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Interior color L278 or L71? Reply with quote

Laughing I hear ya. I thought the same thing. Unfortunately, the body shop farmed it out to a paint shop about 100 miles away. I think they didn’t put a code on it because they had to retint it a few times. Also it probably insures return business if you don’t list a code. 😳😂.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: