Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I need about 150w of Solar Panel for a Goal Zero Yeti 400
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sammyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: I need about 150w of Solar Panel for a Goal Zero Yeti 400 Reply with quote

I currently have about 80w (four x 20w panels) in my cargo bin up front. They fit perfectly up there and never get in the way.

I’m finding 80w isn’t enough. I’d like to run an Engel 45 24x7 and not worry about running out power when on trips.

Do you have a recommendation to upgrade the solar panels to get 150w? Should I add on or should I just get new panels? What fits nicely up top? I have a roof rack if needed.[/b]
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: I need about 150w of Solar Panel for a Goal Zero Yeti 400 Reply with quote

This thread might be of interest. I expect you could get 400W of panel on the roof if you needed to.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: I need about 150w of Solar Panel for a Goal Zero Yeti 400 Reply with quote

Suggest a portable panel Ugely, and charging batteries while you drive (Edit: meaning your alternator charging while bus is running).

— Colin Chapman

Last edited by E1 on Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:14 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: I need about 150w of Solar Panel for a Goal Zero Yeti 400 Reply with quote

This thread too. There are probably a half dozen helpful threads in search.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6508096

Your capacity to run the fridge is s function of two things: solar gathering and battery storing.

How many ah of batteries do you have?

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: I need about 150w of Solar Panel for a Goal Zero Yeti 400 Reply with quote

For the $450 it cost for the Yeti you could have 4x the capacity in batteries, tied into a battery isolator
for charging from your alternator & still use your panels for keeping it topped off while parked. I think
you're working on the wrong end of the equation..."add battery capacity, young man"... Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: I need about 150w of Solar Panel for a Goal Zero Yeti 400 Reply with quote

Alternator charging is my favorite charging method. However if you're in the same spot for days at a time, solar charging.

4x20w panels sounds annoying. Solarblvd has 12v panels for cheap right now. A 120w flexible for like $90. I have a 130w foldable panel with a 25' extension cord.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: I need about 150w of Solar Panel for a Goal Zero Yeti 400 Reply with quote

Hey Brandon, have I mentioned my concerns for your poptop duration?

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: I need about 150w of Solar Panel for a Goal Zero Yeti 400 Reply with quote

Nobody has ever mentioned it before. I'm a weekend warrior right now
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: I need about 150w of Solar Panel for a Goal Zero Yeti 400 Reply with quote

Beast. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Sammyman, were you looking to add 150 watts, or another 70? We have a 120 portable and two 100aH AGMs, and it'd be more than enough for what you *think* you need. But we live in the west so part of the equation is where you are per how much clear sun you get. But more is waaaaay better than less as a general rule -- and quite dependent on whether you let the alternator help.

Just know this is hard on alternators, so we carry a spare (with a pulley mounted!) but in the big investment scheme they're cheap enough.

— Colin Chapman
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: I need about 150w of Solar Panel for a Goal Zero Yeti 400 Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
For the $450 it cost for the Yeti you could have 4x the capacity in batteries, tied into a battery isolator
for charging from your alternator & still use your panels for keeping it topped off while parked. I think
you're working on the wrong end of the equation..."add battery capacity, young man"... Wink

- Dave

Oh my, I just looked up the specs on the Yeti 400 and the battery is less than 33ah (says REI). I don’t know the power consumption of the Engel but it seems the 40ah Yeti 400 won’t keep up.

OP, folks here often mention running a fridge with 100ah of battery and 100 watts of solar. I’ve got 150 ah of battery and 175 watts of solar.

The Yeti 400 is a great, simple solution to power a laptop, lights and maybe a speaker but it’s going to be a puzzle working it into a system to run a fridge.

Consider adding a 100-120 watt panel and shooting for a minimum of 100 ah of battery.

Better yet, do the math: add up your power consumption from the fridge, devices, etc. and determine how you’ll generate and store that power (alternator, solar and batteries).

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: I need about 150w of Solar Panel for a Goal Zero Yeti 400 Reply with quote

I know it's been posted here but bet a lot of people would love to see exactly how that "simple math" works.

Not ashamed to admit need of a refresher myself, especially in terms of practical use, i.e., a percentage to add to the total to have enough reliable power. Did that five years ago and had a decent margin but it wasn't enough in actual use every day.

— Colin Chapman
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: I need about 150w of Solar Panel for a Goal Zero Yeti 400 Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
Nobody has ever mentioned it before. I'm a weekend warrior right now

Your avatar is going to wear it out fast.... Cool

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: I need about 150w of Solar Panel for a Goal Zero Yeti 400 Reply with quote

The math

It’s easiest to work in units of energy, and Watt hours are most convenient units.

Anything rated in Amp hours, like a battery, is quickly converted to Watt hours by multiplying by 12 volts, the system voltage

That 33amp hour battery is thus a 33x12 = 396 Watt hour source.

You add up the loads, the things using electricity, by multiplying the watts they draw by th encumber of hours they are turned on.

Fridges have to be calculated by both the draw and the duty cycle but it turns out for a compressor fridge it will use about 1 amp hour per day per degree Celsius....so 25 amp hours on a mild summer day of 25C, 35=Amps on a hot desert day of 35C.

Finally, for solar panel, you take the number of rated- watts, multiply the number hours of sunlight, then divide that number by FOUR to get the real world estimate of solar watt hour capacity.

Last edited by Abscate on Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
sammyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: I need about 150w of Solar Panel for a Goal Zero Yeti 400 Reply with quote

Hey guys,

Thank you for all the great information in response. I'm not willing to tie into my alternator. I need the fridge for the store, and occasional camping trip. I love that I don't need to worry about the hassles of tying into my battery and alternator.

I am willing to spend money on a bigger battery and more solar panels. I wonder if I can tie a Yeti to a marine battery somehow? Right now the yeti 400 fits perfectly under the rear fold down seat for easy access. Otherwise, I know two will tie together and I can put another under the drivers seat maybe? I know they are expensive for what they are, but they are convenient for me.

Yes, I'd like 150w total. I'll run the calculations today on my needs, but feeling confident that would keep me satisfied on trips. Thanks!
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: I need about 150w of Solar Panel for a Goal Zero Yeti 400 Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
The math

[ REDACTED ]

Finally, for solar panel, you take the number of rated- watts, multiply the number hours of sunlight, then divide that number by FOUR to get the real world estimate of solar watt hour capacity.

This is an excel spreadsheet waiting to happen…

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: I need about 150w of Solar Panel for a Goal Zero Yeti 400 Reply with quote

Just to throw this out, the 25 amp hour draw of a compressor fridge is a 300 watt hour draw , or 1/3 of a standard battery.

You will need 1200 watt hours of solar capacity to keep up, or about 400 watts solar for 12 hour days to stay in full charge condition running just the compressor fridge.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: I need about 150w of Solar Panel for a Goal Zero Yeti 400 Reply with quote

If everyone who needed to know your math answers on this bought you a beer, it'd likely become problematic in time. Wink

Thanks for this, awesome. Cool Cool Cool

— Colin Chapman
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: I need about 150w of Solar Panel for a Goal Zero Yeti 400 Reply with quote

x2...

Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: I need about 150w of Solar Panel for a Goal Zero Yeti 400 Reply with quote

The two most overlooked things

1 you don’t want To cycle a battery below50%, routinely. It’s ok to do it on occasion but not during your camp cycle every day. Ergo, your 80 amp hour (960 watt hour) battery has a useful capacity of 40Amp hour ( 480 watt hour)

2 you plan on solar panels delivering 1/4 of their rating over the day. You lose 1/2 due to the trigonometry of orientation, and 1/2 due to bugs, dirt, toenail clippings that impede the panel. These effects are independent, so the loss is 1/2 x 1/2 = 1/4
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: I need about 150w of Solar Panel for a Goal Zero Yeti 400 Reply with quote

dobryan wrote:

Your avatar is going to wear it out fast.... Cool

Ahh I see what E1 was meaning now. It was quite a bit of work to get that gif under 20kb. Pop it like it's hot.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: