Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Diagnosing shifter issues
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnosing shifter issues Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
If you replace the coupler, re-use the original cage, throw the new one in the trash and just use the new bushings.

Does that apply to these? http://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/6110.htm
tthoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnosing shifter issues Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
mcmscott wrote:
If you replace the coupler, re-use the original cage, throw the new one in the trash and just use the new bushings.

X2, all the metal parts of the kits I've seen are garbage. The rubber is what you are after; that's usually all that wears.

Noted! will do.
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnosing shifter issues Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
mcmscott wrote:

Very much so. No one makes a correct cage. If you use the original cage, new bushing, you should be able to just bolt the shifter in place with no side to side adjusting.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnosing shifter issues Reply with quote

That looks like urethane or other hard plastic, not rubber. It may rattle more, and the rubber is easy enough to replace if it gets sloppy.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnosing shifter issues Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
57BLITZ wrote:
mcmscott wrote:

Very much so. No one makes a correct cage. If you use the original cage, new bushing, you should be able to just bolt the shifter in place with no side to side adjusting.

Thanks Scott . . . Unfortunately, the previous owner threw away the original coupler when it was replaced with the "Rhino" coupler.
Is there any workaround so I can use the "Rhino" coupler, or should I try to source an O.E. coupler cage?
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnosing shifter issues Reply with quote

57BLITZ wrote:
mcmscott wrote:
57BLITZ wrote:
mcmscott wrote:

Thanks Scott . . . Unfortunately, the previous owner threw away the original coupler when it was replaced with the "Rhino" coupler.
Is there any workaround so I can use the "Rhino" coupler, or should I try to source an O.E. coupler cage?

You can use it, they are not "horrible" just no where near as correct as the original. You may need to do some "adjusting" that would not otherwise be needed. I prefere the og cage with CB's bushings.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
tthoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Diagnosing shifter issues Reply with quote

The job is done! Took me about 7 hours from start to finish.

I took the rod out completely. Cleaned it up and greased it. The most difficult part was putting it back in after I had it through the bushing. I used a yardstick to push the thing through. What a hassle! (I can see how the pvc tool comes in).
First time I got the rod back, it had worked its way under all of the cabling in the tube, so I couldn't hook it to the coupler. I had to move it back out and try again.
I replaced the urethane bushings, and sewed it all up! Shifts better, not perfectly. I may have to fiddle with the plate some, and there's still some noise at the shifter when I shift, but not nearly the racket I had.. (Then again, that may be normal?) But I'm kind of proud of myself for my first time doing this.

Thank you all for your help! Next up, the heating system!
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Diagnosing shifter issues Reply with quote

next step toss the stock shifter on the shelf and buy a decent aftermarket shifter ,,You'll thank us later Wink cuz they shift 10 times better then stock Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: