Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1990 Cabrio
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dubllyou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:11 am    Post subject: 1990 Cabrio Reply with quote

I haven't been real active on here lately but I think I just got enthused again. Wavin at ya from the aircooled side with a new ride. I can't believe how much this reminds me of my old first gen Scirocco 😎👍

Scrub adub dub... it's a dirty little tub

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wade

vwo60 wrote:
You cannot polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1990 Cabrio Reply with quote

It's a Cabriolet. Cabrio's were the next generation.

Looks like a good start for a project.
dubllyou
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Cabrio Reply with quote

I stand corrected, thank you 👍 There are a few things to take care of but yes, a good start.

Wade

vwo60 wrote:
You cannot polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Cabrio Reply with quote

Butcher wrote:
It's a Cabriolet. Cabrio's were the next generation.

Looks like a good start for a project.

What are you talking about, very same chassis and drivetrain as the Scirocco. It'll all swap between any of them.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1990 Cabrio Reply with quote

The VW Cabriolet ended in 1993 [for the USA] and is similar to the Scirocco in the underpinnings.

The VW Cabrio was brought in as a 1995 model. The Scirocco was long gone by then.

The Cabrio has little to do with the Scirocco. I hope that clears it up.

Except for a fake license plate, I have never seen VW market the Cabriolet as a Cabrio. If they did, it was for a very select market.

I'm not saying I'm 100% correct, but when people say Cabriolet, they picture a Rabbit [Golf 1] and a Cabrio as the next generation [Mk3.5].
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 1990 Cabrio Reply with quote

Congrats! Very Happy

Disregard the language ignorance above. Call it a cabrio all you like; simply don't capitalize the "c", except at the start of a sentence, and include the year (which you did, along with a photo; anyone familiar with these cars will know what you're talking about). "Cabrio" and "Golf cabrio" are used all the time across the pond. Wink

Butcher wrote:
Except for a fake license plate, I have never seen VW market the Cabriolet as a Cabrio

VW also never trademarked "Cabriolet" and "Cabrio". Can you guess why?

I hope you don't jump down the throats of those who call it a " Rabbit 'vert" or "Rabbit cabrio", or <gasp> "Golf". Rolling Eyes
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: 1990 Cabrio Reply with quote

Kammy is right. Call the car anything you want. You can call it POS, Cabby, etc.

If you want parts, insurance, help online, or pretty much anything else for the car, everyone pictures a VW Cabriolet as the Mk1 and the VW Cabrio is the other one. We are not across the pond.

Want proof? Google VW Cabriolet. What do you see? Now Google VW Cabrio. That's what the world thinks.

Living in several different countries while growing up, if I used the wrong term or phrase while talking to people, I appreciated it when I was corrected. I never thought that people were 'jumping down my throat'. Sorry if you thought I was.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: