Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Duck bill/breather
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:02 am    Post subject: Duck bill/breather Reply with quote

My oil level is right to the top line, maybe slightly over depending how you check. What is the purpose of the duck bill vent that hangs down by the sled tins. After shutdown, I will usually get some oil droplets.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Duck bill/breather Reply with quote

It's a road draft tube drain valve. It lets moisture out of the tube that has condensed there from driving the car at proper temp.
You'll get a little oil there from the oil filler breather.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Duck bill/breather Reply with quote

I think you are asking about the vapor tube. It allows water vapor to escape.

But feel free to post a picture to help clarify exactly what part is the “duck bill”. That part term is new to me.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Duck bill/breather Reply with quote

https://www.westcoastmetric.com/i-22967407-311-541.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: Duck bill/breather Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
My oil level is right to the top line, maybe slightly over depending how you check. What is the purpose of the duck bill vent that hangs down by the sled tins. After shutdown, I will usually get some oil droplets.

the purpose of the rubber end is to act as a one way valve, water can get out, but with the rubber end, road dirt can get in very easy. If no rubber end, the crank case is basically open to road dirt, not good to get diet in the crank case.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Duck bill/breather Reply with quote

I get oil droplets on shut down.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Duck bill/breather Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
I get oil droplets on shut down.

Not uncommon.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Duck bill/breather Reply with quote

The draft tube seal on all cars I have ever seen, weeped oil. Always having a drip on them. Sounds normal to me.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Duck bill/breather Reply with quote

So for a newbie.

How does oil get up that high to run down the tube?
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Duck bill/breather Reply with quote

Chris333 wrote:
So for a newbie.

Through the dipstick area? Oil filler tube?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Duck bill/breather Reply with quote

There is a hurricane taking place inside the engine case. The oil is being splashed around by the crank and camshafts.
This makes a fine mist that get pushed out of the crankcase from blow-by (pressure getting past the piston rings). The fine mist travels up the oil filler/generator stand and collects in the oil filler vent.
When you shut the engine down. The oil pools against the filler vent innards and then seeps down the road draft tube to the drain valve (duck bill thingy).
Get it now?

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
Chris333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Duck bill/breather Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
Chris333 wrote:
So for a newbie.

Through the dipstick area? Oil filler tube?

So does it splash up that high or just from pouring oil in it?
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Duck bill/breather Reply with quote

Splashes up.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Duck bill/breather Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
There is a hurricane taking place inside the engine case. The oil is being splashed around by the crank and camshafts.
This makes a fine mist that get pushed out of the crankcase from blow-by (pressure getting past the piston rings). The fine mist travels up the oil filler/generator stand and collects in the oil filler vent.
When you shut the engine down. The oil pools against the filler vent innards and then seeps down the road draft tube to the drain valve (duck bill thingy).
Get it now?

The only way it splashes up. Is if the oil filler/generator stand louver plate is installed incorrectly!
It must be installed louvers down and facing toward the 1-2 cylinder side of the engine.

Read above for the explanation of why you get oil droplets out of the road draft tube drain valve (the duck bill thingy).

Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Duck bill/breather Reply with quote

Gotcha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Duck bill/breather Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
Gotcha

Whew!
It's been a long day answering questions.

andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Duck bill/breather Reply with quote

There is oil/air/water vapor that moves in and out of the breather. More out than in due to blowby past the rings etc. The breather is usually connected via rubber hose to the air cleaner and most of it gets trapped there or is burned by the engine. Vapor will condense on any cooler surface such as the oil cap, breather, the hose etc. (Water vapor condenses on a cool window as an example)

And FYI - an internal combustion engine produced water as a by-product of burning a hydrocarbon fuel.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: