Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'78 No Start ???
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
UtahGOgear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 No Start ??? Reply with quote

The series resistor is the one that makes all the clicking when I touch it at all.

Also- there's the + wire running off the battery to the starter and another one that runs off of the + terminal as well but it's just frayed off on one side and isn't connected to anything. Does this sucker go into the double relay or something?? It's fairly long and covered in the same color sleeve as the entire harness.

I must be missing something major here.... hope I haven't fried my starter trying to get it to work so many times without any luck...
UtahGOgear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 No Start ??? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
did we establish that the engine spins normally by hand now after the fan issue??

Yes! Thankfully after I pulled the fan I saw that one of the 4 nuts behind it holding the fan housing on was sticking out and making it so the fan wouldn't turn at all- now it turns fairly easy by hand like normal.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 No Start ??? Reply with quote

is there a loose ground wire on the side of the double relay or series resistors?
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 No Start ??? Reply with quote

I took the relay off to clean the connections but it was way too rusty to even get the bolts off, so I wired it as it was.
-The rusty bolt that holds the starter relay on is the ground connection for the relay. The relay will not work without a good ground connection. You need to get the bolt off and clean the connection.
Or take the red and brown wire off the relay and connect those together, wrap some electrical tape around them so they don't short out and try and start it.

the plug that connects to something just above the double relay it makes this switch sound
Clean the ground wires connected to the Series Resistor.
Fuel Injection Series Resistor Pack Reinforcement How-to
UtahGOgear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 No Start ??? Reply with quote

I re-connected those wires to the starter as they're originally supposed to go stock and just ditched the relay.

I'll check for solid ground connections!

Man... I think if this thing ever fires up I'm going to get emotional!
UtahGOgear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 No Start ??? Reply with quote

Okay- I re-located the ground for the double relay because it didn't look like it was very secure under the series resistors. The entire firewall part that they're both bolted to looks newer and it's all painted so I'm not sure it's even getting a good ground connection.

The weird thing is that what seemed to be the ground wire on the series resistors (didn't go to any resistors, rather in the middle of them all) wasn't really connected on the plug. I shoved it in there and spent some time getting it to fit on. With the ignition on though, the series resistors became hot to the touch, the metal cover burnt me pretty good and so I un-plugged it immediately.

After un-plugging it there was no noise when I moved the wires. I must have some serious problems with connecting the wires in the wrong place when I put the motor back in! Would this even cause it to not start though? I hope I haven't fried major components. The lights and everything work... so there's that... but still when I go to start it absolutely nothing happens, just a click when I turn the ignition on.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 No Start ??? Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
The box is a starter relay.

Disconnect the battery.
Charge the battery.
Clean the connections on that.
Clean the connections on your battery.
Clean the connections on the starter.
Clean the ground strap connections on the transmission to the frame.
Make sure the starter bolts are tight.

Now that you have a charged battery and all the connections are clean. Try to start it with the key.

No luck, jump it at the starter.
Jump Starter

Still does not crank. Remove and replace starter.

Did you charge the battery minimum 12.6 volts and clean all connections?
UtahGOgear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 No Start ??? Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
Tcash wrote:
The box is a starter relay.

Disconnect the battery.
Charge the battery.
Clean the connections on that.
Clean the connections on your battery.
Clean the connections on the starter.
Clean the ground strap connections on the transmission to the frame.
Make sure the starter bolts are tight.

Now that you have a charged battery and all the connections are clean. Try to start it with the key.

No luck, jump it at the starter.
Jump Starter

Still does not crank. Remove and replace starter.

Did you charge the battery minimum 12.6 volts and clean all connections?

Yes! I charged the battery to full and it's brand new, and yes I cleaned all of the connections on battery, starter, wires, transmission ground, everything all tight and secure!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 No Start ??? Reply with quote

What did it do when you tried to jump the starter.
Tcash wrote:
To link to copy and paste
Code:
[url=https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7466741#7466741]Jump Starter[/url]

Battery voltage should be around 12.6 volts fully charged.
Clean battery and all wire connections.

Jumping Starter
E-brake on
Wheels chocked
Shifter in neutral

Jump starter.

Thanks to JerryMCarter1
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Starter cranks, problem is in ignition circuit.
Starter does not crank, problem is in starter or starter circuit.

Good Luck
UtahGOgear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 No Start ??? Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
What did it do when you tried to jump the starter.
Tcash wrote:
To link to copy and paste
Code:
[url=https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7466741#7466741]Jump Starter[/url]

Battery voltage should be around 12.6 volts fully charged.
Clean battery and all wire connections.

Jumping Starter
E-brake on
Wheels chocked
Shifter in neutral

Jump starter.

Thanks to JerryMCarter1

Starter cranks, problem is in ignition circuit.
Starter does not crank, problem is in starter or starter circuit.

Good Luck

It made a bunch of sparks but no luck. I jumped both the + with the top terminal and the + with the one to the right and nothing- just a ton of sparks and that's it... before re-wiring the starter wires and getting rid of the relay the starter would pop the gear out to engage but wouldn't spin. Now nothing. The very thin white and red wire that connects to the terminal with the ignition wire on the top was way frayed and looked a bit black-ish. I spliced in another wire there because it broke right off the clamp when I went to pull it. I'm not sure where it goes- wire diagram is telling me it's the starter signal... not sure where it ends up but might try finding the outlet and just running a new one. Perhaps that's why the relay was on....

Anyway, even with jumping it nothing happens now, not even the gear popping out. The cover of the series resistors heats up like nothing else though so maybe I have a live wire running where it's not supposed to be. The wiring is sort of a mess- maybe I should take some pictures of what's going on in the engine bay and see if something is mad wrong.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 No Start ??? Reply with quote

Connect the two terminal posts of the starter solenoid with a screwdriver, if the starter does not rotate, the malfunction lies in the starter. If the starter functions well, the malfunction lies in the solenoid. Either way the starter needs to come out.

The Red/white wire with the Red/black wire that has the push on terminal goes to the Double relay. This is what powers the fuel pump during cranking.

Pictures would be cool.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 No Start ??? Reply with quote

The weird thing is that what seemed to be the ground wire on the series resistors (didn't go to any resistors, rather in the middle of them all) wasn't really connected on the plug. I shoved it in there and spent some time getting it to fit on. With the ignition on though, the series resistors became hot to the touch, the metal cover burnt me pretty good and so I un-plugged it immediately.

Please do not hook up wires if you do not know where they go.

Click on this link and open it. Note the wire in the center of the series resistor that looks like speaker wire goes in the middle of the resistor plug. The wires that connects to it go to 88b on the double relay and the ECU.
Fuel Injection Series Resistor Pack Reinforcement How-to
UtahGOgear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 No Start ??? Reply with quote

It seems I had a live wire where it wasn't supposed to be. I've plugged everything I don't recognize completely and have started to fit new disconnectors to every wire that is hanging on by a thread (which are like half of them) then following the wiring diagram to plug them in.

Question though- I don't know where the wire that goes off the + of the battery and somehow makes it to the double relay? Does it connect somewhere on the harness leading to the relay? This full-time 12v wire might be what's got me held back. The previous owner has spliced this wire in a few different places for who knows what reason and the tip was just shredded when I got it- I taped it off but now I'm thinking this is what I need to complete the wiring to start... any clue where it fiscally goes on the harness/double relay?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 No Start ??? Reply with quote

UtahGOgear wrote:

Question though- I don't know where the wire that goes off the + of the battery and somehow makes it to the double relay? Does it connect somewhere on the harness leading to the relay?

Not sure how it is done on an aircooled Vanagon, but on a waterboxer there is a junction box in the left front of the engine compartment with a hot stud in it that powers the relays.
UtahGOgear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 No Start ??? Reply with quote

Shoot, I don't see any kind of stud or anywhere it would go off hand. There are two wires coming out of the larger part of the harness that runs across the motor, one is further back right by the air distributor in the middle of the motor ('78 FI Bus) and the other is more forward right before the connectors for the right double relay & series resistor. There are those two sensors thought, so I thought they just plugged into those (on the head of cyl. 3 and the other right next to the spark plug distributor)
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 No Start ??? Reply with quote

On a Bay there is a wire that runs directly from the big 12+ lug on the starter solenoid to the double relay, don't know if this was copied over onto the Vanagon or not. The watercooled Vanagon had a funky split wire system coming off of the alternator with one wire going to the starter solenoid and one to the connector box. It is possible that this funky system was a carry over from an aircooled Vanagon as it certainly wasn't a go setup on the watercooled ones, don't have a clue as to its origin beyond knowing the VW seemed to have a problem with updating their wiring when they made changes to the fuel systems and ignition systems.
UtahGOgear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 No Start ??? Reply with quote

Okay! So then the constant 12v power goes from the starter solenoid straight to the double relay.... but there's still this wire running off the + terminal of the battery (not the huge one running straight to the starter solenoid) and it's about 3 feet long, was black and thick but now is white and thinner (PO maybe spliced the white piece on?) and I have no clue where it's supposed to run to....

still cleaning things up though and really trying to get solid connections/grounds in the right locations this time so this thing can hopefully turn over for me.
UtahGOgear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 No Start ??? Reply with quote

Here's a picture of this wire leading off the positive terminal of the battery
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 No Start ??? Reply with quote

Are you sure the other end of that connects to the battery?, and not the ECU directly in front of the battery?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
UtahGOgear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 No Start ??? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Are you sure the other end of that connects to the battery?, and not the ECU directly in front of the battery?

Yeah, it runs right off of the terminal that goes on the battery- like the terminal was cast with this wire running off of it.... the other one that looks like this runs from the ecu kind of and I plugged that one in on the - side of the coil.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: