Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'78 No Start ???
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 No Start ??? Reply with quote

My guess is that someone used some kind of aftermarket battery cable and it came with a wire that is not needed. Tape it off well so that it can not ground out and melt things down or cause a fire. Maybe someone at one time used it for something, but it is not needed on a stock setup.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 No Start ??? Reply with quote

Looks like there is a red wire that runs from the battery "A" to 88Z on the double relay.
click on pick
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
UtahGOgear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 No Start ??? Reply with quote

Right- I've been chasing down 88Z from this diagram and a write-up on the double relays https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=334340
but man, I can't find where the heck it connects to before meeting up with the double relay. This thing has sure been hacked into so perhaps it's totally some random wire, but it still won't turn over at all.... I ordered a hot/hard start relay as the ignition wire (I think- it's the thinner red/white wire running to the starter solenoid) is so freaking toasted up it's like brown and crispy... but the PO had some kind of trash relay that would make the gear pop out on the starter but not turn and man that thing was rusted out- must have been a hot start or something and so for now hopefully the new hot start relay will get it to turn over and later on I'll replace the crappy looking wires and get things straightened up stock wise....

Before this relay comes in though just trying to get things in order. Also ordered a new ignition switch as I kind of thrashed the previous one with a screw driver haha but that will be here soon with the relay and I suppose we'll see... till then I'll try to wire things up per the diagram and get things cleaned up. Hopefully she turns over after ignition switch and relay is installed- we'll see!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 No Start ??? Reply with quote

Connect the white wire from the battery pos+ to 88Z, there should be a Red jumper wire on 88Z also.

We have instructed you on how to perform the starter test. If it is doing nothing replace the starter.

Good luck
Tcash
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 No Start ??? Reply with quote

88z should have a wire from the battery terminal on the starter already in the FI starter/fuel pump sub harness.

I wonder if the mystery wire was for a dual battery relay?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
UtahGOgear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: '78 No Start ??? Reply with quote

Just an update- it was a bad starter. Go figure. Got the new starter in today and it cranked right over just fine! Now to hook up the fuel lines and see if she fires up!

Thanks for your help to all- I know sometimes the solution is simple like just buy a new starter but it helps to know what goes where and why. Cheers!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: