Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1974 super-beetle Delaware build. (Pic heavy)
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buzzerbug74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:42 pm    Post subject: 1974 super-beetle Delaware build. (Pic heavy) Reply with quote

Hello all! Fairly familiar with some vw's when I was younger, but have been studying since then (I'm 23 now) and bought another beetle! Bought it back in March so here is a compiled series of my progress here and there!

Here she sat, last tagged in 2001. Previous owner is a land surveyor for Delaware since the 70's. He said a client owned him payment and he took the bug as partial payment. He put a new carb on it and said he could get it to idle a bit but never went any further. So here she sat for some years!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'm very surprised on the amount of original paperwork saved!

Of course it snowed a bit the day I went to pick her up!

So I got her home (no garage unfortunately) and started digging in!

So the first thing on my list I wanted to tackle the fuel system, so I bought and installed a new tank as well as lines.

Next I wanted to go over the motor some. Valves were pretty clean! I changed the spark plugs, belt, condenser, points, rotor, dizzy cap, new fuses, and an oil change!

All this progress was weekend after weekend, dont have much time to work on it. But I eventually bought a battery, hooked her up! After a spray of starting fluid she started up! After a few spits an sputters!

Here's a link to my Instagram for it (lots more pictures on there)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BjVfm-EACBv/

Even took her for a quick slug ride in the neighborhood!
https://www.instagram.com/p/BjVf6xXAUSN/

She sat running pretty good for awhile but eventually died. And I could only start her from then on with starting fluid.(possible vacuum leak?) As she ran i noticed the generator light and oil light on. So naturally i assume the alternator needs replacing. So here's the next half of our journey!

I figured since I had it this far apart I might as well clean the engine up a bit, and one thing led to another Laughing

I REALLY had to clean out the crud some eager squirrels (or mice) left in here! So I naturally just did a top-end clean up! I also saw the oil cooler and shape it was in, so I figured replace it since I was in here?

I purchased a complete engine gasket kit from Jbugs (1600 dual port)
As well as the oil cooler. ANYWHO, I also replaced the metal gaskets for the dual ports to the heads, and put on new boots. Anchored everything in and this is how she looks now all cleaned up!

I know to move the gas filter, I had it there from when I changed the lines, but wanted to make sure any crud left in the metal line in the chassis was caught before it gummed up the carb! Haha

But now here's my new issue, I installed new cables, and a new pedal assembly. But the clutch lever stump drags on the floor? Rolling Eyes And gets stuck pressed down? (Did I not adjust the clutch cable tightly enough)

but anyway, I had to jump the battery because it sat for some time (remember, weekend to weekend project) and the car did sputter and backfire a bit but didn't start. Am I missing something key? Sorry its a lot for a first topic post Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scdevon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 super-beetle Delaware build. (Pic heavy) Reply with quote

Did you compare the length of the new clutch cable to the old one? There are a few different lengths of cables depending on year and model. Your cable might be too long.

Nice Super. It looks relatively complete and pretty cancer rust free for a northeast car. Just surface rust mostly. Good luck with it!
Buzzerbug74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 super-beetle Delaware build. (Pic heavy) Reply with quote

scdevon wrote:
Did you compare the length of the new clutch cable to the old one? There are a few different lengths of cables depending on year and model. Your cable might be too long.

Nice Super. It looks relatively complete and pretty cancer rust free for a northeast car. Just surface rust mostly. Good luck with it!

Damn! I new I should've checked that Laughing I guess I know what I'm doing next weekend Rolling Eyes and it is fairly clean, the passenger side pan is shot, so that's all major body wise, but other than that. I just want it mechanically sound before I splurg in the bodywork Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 super-beetle Delaware build. (Pic heavy) Reply with quote

Doin' good work so far there!

Keep on keepin' on!

I'll be following your thread (esp. since our Bugs might have sat side by side on the JG Auto dealership lot)

Happy Bug'n
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 super-beetle Delaware build. (Pic heavy) Reply with quote

Looks great! Doing nice work.

johnL (aka H2OSB)
www.superbeetlesonly.com
Buzzerbug74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 super-beetle Delaware build. (Pic heavy) Reply with quote

Been sometime since I updated my progress! It is a "budget build" so I order large sets of parts at a time and install when I'm free.
Well the entire brake system needed a overhaul.
Brake master cylinder, as well as inner and outer bearings front and rear.

The brakes looked frozen in time all around!

Overhauling these bearings was a huge first time for me, but very satisfying to do!

(Don't worried, I realized the set screw was set wrong side up and fixed)
JZ8G00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 super-beetle Delaware build. (Pic heavy) Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with a budget build just be careful, my budget build is climbing up and up with every urge I get to tackle something new. Looking good so far.

74 Super
Second Owner
Brought back to life in 2012
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 super-beetle Delaware build. (Pic heavy) Reply with quote

Buzzerbug74 wrote:
...It is a "budget build" so I order large sets of parts at a time and install when I'm free...
Overhauling __________ was a huge first time for me, but very satisfying to do!

Amen Brother!!!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
boundstaffpress
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 super-beetle Delaware build. (Pic heavy) Reply with quote

Budget builds are the best IMHO. Keep posting pics this looks like a great project.

Building a 73 Super Beetle with my kids.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
n8ronj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 super-beetle Delaware build. (Pic heavy) Reply with quote

I'll be following this and doing some of the same things. I'm starting to work on my 73 Super. Nice work so far on the build.

I haven't had an air cooled VW since 1992 so I'm relearning a lot now. Where did you source a lot of your engine parts?
Buzzerbug74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 super-beetle Delaware build. (Pic heavy) Reply with quote

n8ronj wrote:
I'll be following this and doing some of the same things. I'm starting to work on my 73 Super. Nice work so far on the build.

I haven't had an air cooled VW since 1992 so I'm relearning a lot now. Where did you source a lot of your engine parts?

Alot of my parts I find I get from Wolfsburg west, jbugs, or appletree auto. I typically price shop alittle between the 3. Most of them all out west. East coast Vdubbin is a hard knock life Laughing

but yeah, I'm 23 and I've had one aircooled car before when I was wayyyy younger but didn't know much or fix much. I like getting hands on and digging in!
Buzzerbug74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 super-beetle Delaware build. (Pic heavy) Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the support! I got the bug moved to a much better location for further work! (My dads, the man with the plan!)

So took this nice Sunday weather before Delaware says otherwise and kinda "drop" the engine Cool

Was much easier to slide out after cutting out the beat up bondo rear apron. Have no fear, I have a replacement. And I know to get the rest off by drilling the spot welds under the rear fenders. All in due time!

And she's out! Looks like my flywheel seal has a leak seeing all this oil in the transmission bell housing. I plan on swapping the transmission with a refurbished one I picked up! Along with new mounts, etc.
Buzzerbug74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 super-beetle Delaware build. (Pic heavy) Reply with quote

Been some time everyone!

Work; pandemics; almost everything under the sun....but I still continued as best I could on my build!

So I've continued IMMENSELY in getting my bug road worthy. After the engine rebuild and getting it tuned up, runs great! But also found out front end bushings where shot (death wobble).

I went through and replaced my complete tie rod assembly; new complete lower control arm bushings, steering dampner bushings, new lower ball joints, etc....

So she is now riding smooth!!

Now for the next hurdle......ELECTRICAL

I'm feeling its a possible ground issue or relays went bad? No turn signals, brake lights stuck on (off when pressed) hazards cause a fuse to burst
(switch from 8amp to 10amp and helped) but now horn stopped working? Worked earlier but after replacing blown fuses not anymore???

One of headlights out, and my rear licence light not functioning.

IM SO CLOSE! Im gonna consult my Bently manual heavy the next few days; so I hope to get things figured out. Otherwise, any of you gurus have any helpful insight?? Much appreciated!
beetlenut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 super-beetle Delaware build. (Pic heavy) Reply with quote

Go through and refresh all your grounds by sanding the corrosion off and getting good contact with bare metal. Pull all the "T" connectors apart, that have push on connectors inside of them, and clean them up and put dielectric grease on them. Either get a complete set of new fuses, or clean up the old ones and the metal receptacles that they go into in the fuse block. You'll get it!
... I spend more time shaking it than directing it?! I get a pretty decent blast for 8sec. then have to shake it again.
- Words to live by right there!

My 74 Super rebuild thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6507104#6507104
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buzzerbug74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 super-beetle Delaware build. (Pic heavy) Reply with quote

Finally got my new turn signal switch installed! So now my headlights work and high-beams also. Took a minute I guess for the new switch to cycle but lights up on dash an clicks, but lights don't flicker.

Original switch; definitely lived its life of good use.

New switche cleans up nice!

So next im gonna check my emergency flasher relay? Those definitely don't work either so maybe the problem is connected?

This is the last step to hopefully get my bug to DMV to finally get it on the road!
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1974 super-beetle Delaware build. (Pic heavy) Reply with quote

What did you figure out why the engine did not start back up again 2 years ago?

Have you fitted the rear "breast plate" back onto the engine now that its running well? You must have that to block the hot exhaust air from getting sucked into the cooling fan and blown over the cylinders and heads.

Did you notice that the original window sticker had Volkswagen misspelled as Volkswagon for the dealer listing? Rolling Eyes
Buzzerbug74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1974 super-beetle Delaware build. (Pic heavy) Reply with quote

Rome wrote:
What did you figure out why the engine did not start back up again 2 years ago?

Have you fitted the rear "breast plate" back onto the engine now that its running well? You must have that to block the hot exhaust air from getting sucked into the cooling fan and blown over the cylinders and heads.

Did you notice that the original window sticker had Volkswagen misspelled as Volkswagon for the dealer listing? Rolling Eyes

I did realize I have neglected to update the "in between" time from when I last posted to now Laughing

The engine had a failed ring on cylinder 1 and oil was getting past the rings. With a help of a fellow VDUBBER I replaced my pistons, cylinder heads, etc... and got it freshened up! Timed an runs great!

I have an Instagram account with all my past engine rebuild progress.

I do Feel bad I neglected my own build thread Rolling Eyes but all is good!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: