Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

gas smell is sickening
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: gas smell is sickening Reply with quote

NOT my vent lines because it wasn't doing this before swapping the H30/31 carb (which had its own problems) out for the 30 PICT 3 I'm using now- this issue seemed to crop up about the same time.
It's terrible.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: gas smell is sickening Reply with quote

Check the trunk area. After removing my 1970's fuel tank for the first time after 46 years, I got leaks in the 48mm i.d. fuel filler hoses, even with the hose clamps tight.

I replaced those hoses with new, gas smell gone. Check the tank vent hoses too.

Your observation of the smell may be totally unrelated to your carb swap.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: gas smell is sickening Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Check the trunk area. After removing my 1970's fuel tank for the first time after 46 years, I got leaks in the 48mm i.d. fuel filler hoses, even with the hose clamps tight.

The only other thing I can think of that I did around the same time, is install a new radio and reinstall the wiring cover in the trunk. That's it--nothing else. When I had the 30/31, I had NO radio, just a big opening in the dash--yet no gas smell at all. I do those two things and BAM it's like someone doused me in the stuff. I can also smell it in the garage after driving the car so maybe there's a leak elsewhere but I already checked the filler hose AND the sender unit plate on the tank and nada.

1600 SP engine
AlmostHeavenWV_VW Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: gas smell is sickening Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Cusser wrote:

The only other thing I can think of that I did around the same time, is install a new radio and reinstall the wiring cover in the trunk. That's it--nothing else. When I had the 30/31, I had NO radio, just a big opening in the dash--yet no gas smell at all. I do those two things and BAM it's like someone doused me in the stuff. I can also smell it in the garage after driving the car so maybe there's a leak elsewhere but I already checked the filler hose AND the sender unit plate on the tank and nada.

Do you have the 'EVAP' system in place?
Didn't happen to pinch off the EVAP lines when replacing that wire cover? (if you have EVAP in place)
Maybe the lines which run across the front firewall and/or something in that system? Could possible get some leaking/sweating there? Maybe the tank outlet line worth a look-see? Just coincidental timing with your other projects?
Bosch DVDA 205AJ Distributor
Hatracks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: gas smell is sickening Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Cusser wrote:

Did you put in any new mounts or brackets when installing the radio? The gas tank is right on the otherside of that wall and its possible to use sharp screws and poke a hole in it when mounting stuff under there.....I dont want to talk about how i know that....
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: gas smell is sickening Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Cusser wrote:

Get underneath and check the flex fuel hose from the pan to the steel engine tube which goes through the front engine tin, you likely rarely check this.

Get underneath and check the fuel line under the tank to the pan, you likely rarely check this.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: gas smell is sickening Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Cusser wrote:

Get underneath and check the flex fuel hose from the pan to the steel engine tube which goes through the front engine tin, you likely rarely check this.

Get underneath and check the fuel line under the tank to the pan, you likely rarely check this.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: gas smell is sickening Reply with quote

Did you break the vent hose or vent system vapor separator behind the fresh air box when installing the radio?

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: gas smell is sickening Reply with quote

I suppose it's possible I did something vent-line related when installing the radio, as that line does cross over the trunk up under the dash, although it routes below that opening. I'll double check and see.
My car is a 69, it does not have the EVAP system or that vapor separator.
It's also possible it's an issue with the line from the steel tube coming out of the pan to the steel tube going into the engine bay- that line is a bit too short and so I had to route it up between the heat exchanger flap and the autostick clutch canister. I did check under the car for leaks and none to be found.

1600 SP engine
SwagWagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: gas smell is sickening Reply with quote

What about the hard line in the tunnel? Maybe open the inspection cover under the back seat & take a whiff
air-h2o-air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: gas smell is sickening Reply with quote

use race gas...it smells good! Smile
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: gas smell is sickening Reply with quote

Good luck with your repair.

Bug On my friend!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
RichNJohn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: gas smell is sickening Reply with quote

Check to be sure your gas cap is on correctly. I know you are way past that in your assessment. However, I just got back from the gas station and was smelling gas. Checked engine compartment first, no leaks, under car, no leaks, in trunk, no leaks. Walked around to passenger side and the fender and running board were covered with gas. Idiot move on my part... Mad Embarassed
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: gas smell is sickening Reply with quote

Is your fuel pump leaking into the case?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: gas smell is sickening Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
Is your fuel pump leaking into the case?

No.

1600 SP engine
hotsam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: gas smell is sickening Reply with quote

RichNJohn wrote:
Check to be sure your gas cap is on correctly.

Yup...I chased my tail for a week looking for the source of a sudden, over-whelming gas smell. The cap wasn't on correctly.

Rolling Eyes x1000
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: gas smell is sickening Reply with quote

hotsam wrote:
Yup...I chased my tail for a week looking for the source of a sudden, over-whelming gas smell. The cap wasn't on correctly.
Rolling Eyes x1000

Funny, because these two things happened at same time for me, in my garage, overwhelming gasoline smell, about 20 years ago.

It turned out that the mechanical fuel pump on my '88 Mazda truck had intermittent leak AND the O-ring on my 1971 Super wasn't sealing well.

So new fuel pump for the B2200 and new fuel cap for the Super....
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: gas smell is sickening Reply with quote

Are you certain that one of the multiple little fuel evap hoses going to the tank or vent setup didn't slide off while working on the radio? I've had that happen before.

Also, check that all the carb fuel lines are clamped well, it could be leaking in the engine bay and carrying the smell into the cabin through the heater channels from the fan.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: gas smell is sickening Reply with quote

Any progress here ?
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: gas smell is sickening Reply with quote

I haven't messed with looking into it. It's not the gas cap, cause my 69 uses the metal cap that basically goes over the filler neck opening and twists into place (more like a radiator cap), not the screw on type. I've been using that cap for years so it was also in use during the no-smell period.

Once the fuel level in the tank gets down to half it smells a lot less. But there is also a residual smell from the car after it's been sitting in the garage, it's more of a sooty, gassy/oily smell. Oh well.

1600 SP engine
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: