Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 Thing turn signal problems but flashers work
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panheadguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: 1973 Thing turn signal problems but flashers work Reply with quote

My turn signals don' Question t work but my flashers do. I have searched and found some posts regarding this same issue and determined that the green wire to the flasher is hot with ign on. Has anyone else had this problem and ca offer some suggestions? Thanks.
Guy
Dougster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Thing turn signal problems but flashers work Reply with quote

The green wire actually provides power to the emergency flasher switch that is only used for the turn signals. The position of the emergency flasher switch determines the source of power to the flasher relay which is sent to the relay on the white wire. But since your hazard lights work it sounds like the relay is working properly.

First, Check the plug on the turn signal switch that is under the steering column- if that’s loose and not making a good connection, or disconnected that would cause your turn signals to not work.

Next, with the emergency flasher switch off and ignition on, check that you have +12V power on the + terminal (white wire) on the emergency flasher switch. If not then you probably need a new emergency flasher switch.

If that looks ok, check continuity between the 49a terminal on the flasher switch and the L and R terminals on the flasher switch. You should not have continuity between them with the turn signals switch in the middle (off) position, but you should have continuity between 49a and either the L or R terminal with the turn signal switch in the corresponding position. If you don’t have that, then there is either a break in the black wire with white and green stripes that runs from the 49a terminal to the plug on the turn signal switch, or you could have a bad turn signal switch or connection to the switch as noted above.

If you pass the continuity test between the 49a and the L/R terminals and since you already verified that the green and white wires are getting +12V, then the emergency flasher switch is bad.

Hope that helps!
Panheadguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Thing turn signal problems but flashers work Reply with quote

Huge thanks to Dougster. I'm on it in the AM!
Panheadguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Thing turn signal problems but flashers work Reply with quote

Thanks again to Dougster! Sorry so late in posting this reply. I was able to diagnose a bad flasher switch with Dougster's help.

This board is a huge help!
Dougster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1973 Thing turn signal problems but flashers work Reply with quote

Glad I could help!! Glad it was something simple.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: