Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

instrument lights not working on 89 syncro
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
4mymalamute
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: instrument lights not working on 89 syncro Reply with quote

Need some help here....I have a 1989 Syncro and today I got in a hurry and did not disconnect the battery while I was hooking up a dash 12v plug where the lighter would go. So, blew a fuse, not biggie, put new one in and overhead lights in cab worked etc. Strange thing now is that my dash lights (brand new led lights two weeks ago that worked perfectly) are not working. I checked the light switch to see if anything was loose, etc but seems good. The one thing I did was jus tap into the wires that would normally be on the lighter....left the actual plug/harness in place (just disconnected the actual lighter and pulled it out)....and now no lights. Any suggestions? Sorry for the long rant and question but I am now shaking my head going hmmmmm what did I do!!!! Cheers!

Oh yes, I did run a new antenna and wire so took the speedo out etc but maybe knocked something off?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4mymalamute
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: instrument lights not working on 89 syncro Reply with quote

Anyone? This has me stumped and not sure where to even start looking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: instrument lights not working on 89 syncro Reply with quote

Probably smoked the electronics in the LEDs with that power surge.

Put regular bulbs back in, see if it works.
4mymalamute
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: instrument lights not working on 89 syncro Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
Probably smoked the electronics in the LEDs with that power surge.

Put regular bulbs back in, see if it works.

Thanks...I am going to try that when I get back home. The good news is, the 12v plug works like a champ (so figured it was wired up correctly).
4mymalamute
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: instrument lights not working on 89 syncro Reply with quote

Finally found my original lights...tried them out and no luck. ZERO lights on dash. Clock works, interior lights work, license plate lights work, etc but no dash lights. I took apart the dash, looked over all the connections and only think I found was my cruise control wires came unplugged (woo hoo hopefully that works now!). Any suggestions?
Like I mentioned, I took out original lighter (literally just took it out of dash and unplugged it then tapped a lead and ground off of the pigtail to run my 12v plug in place of lighter..which works perfectly).
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: instrument lights not working on 89 syncro Reply with quote

Did you check the "secret fuse" above the fuse box? It is not in the normal fuse locations, it is on top of the fuse box. I believe it proved to be the problem with my instrument lights.

-Rob
dlb154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: instrument lights not working on 89 syncro Reply with quote

I had the same issue and the "secret fuse" cured it!
4mymalamute
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: instrument lights not working on 89 syncro Reply with quote

Robw_z wrote:
Did you check the "secret fuse" above the fuse box? It is not in the normal fuse locations, it is on top of the fuse box. I believe it proved to be the problem with my instrument lights.

-Rob

Holy smokes....I had no idea there was a "hidden fuse"....and sure enough, that was the issue. Well, that and I guess two of the LEDs I just got got fried with the surge...BUT good news, I took apart the bulb base and retrofitted another LED wedge base into it and it works!
Now, I did put another 10 amp fuse in and it blew...Soooo I put in a 15 amp and its all good. Do you think that is ok? What is that spare fuse for anyway?
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: instrument lights not working on 89 syncro Reply with quote

so... just a word on LED dash lights. for me, the major reason to go LED is for energy savings. makes sense with always on lights light tail and parking lights or interior lights to save battery. but LED dash bulbs just don't do anything for me. the energy consumption of incandescent dash bulbs is minimal, they have insane longevity, and if an LED shorts out, it can take out a very expensive circuit foil.

LEDs either go open or short dead when they fail. an incandescent always goes open. and besides, i like the light quality of an incandescent, especially with a red rubber filter stretched over the bulb like a condom.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
4mymalamute
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: instrument lights not working on 89 syncro Reply with quote

Well, it was working great today when I "fixed" the hidden fuse. BUT tonight, I went out to admire the lights in the dark and as soon as I clicked on the light switch....I heard the fuse burn out....no dash lights. Hmmmm, so a short I take it? I am at a loss now....maybe I just disconnect the 12v power port and start from scratch again?
dlb154
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: instrument lights not working on 89 syncro Reply with quote

Best to trace down that short before refusing. I would not recommend a higher amp fuse like you said you already tried. If 10 amp is what was in there, stay with 10 amp but find that short for sure first.
4mymalamute
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: instrument lights not working on 89 syncro Reply with quote

Figured it out....I took out the 12 volt plug that was pigtailed into the lighter wiring. I replaced the fuse with the stock 10amp and then ran the 12 volt wires directly to the fuse box. All seems swell....LED lights (I actually fabricated two of them with some parts laying around due to frying them). I THINK the problem is solved. Onto the next issue Very Happy
Thanks for everyones suggestions and insight.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: