Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Phat73 Build
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phat73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Phat73 Build Reply with quote

1st attempt to upload a photo. The text didn't come with it but I can repeat that.

This is the paint scheme I'm going to use on my 73. It is Gulf/Porsche Racing livery.
I shot this in base/clear on a hood I had outside the shop. I will probably use single stage on the 73.

testing paint may seem a little ahead of the curve given the car is a rust bucket right now..but it all starts with the VISION.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Phat73 Build Reply with quote

Camaro hood … nice !!

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Phat73 Build Reply with quote

Cant wait to see that hood on your bug
Phat73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Phat73 Build Reply with quote

Some assembly required.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Phat73 Build Reply with quote

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Phat73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Phat73 Build Reply with quote

Thats EXACTLYwhat my 73 will look like with new paint!
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Phat73 Build Reply with quote

...and body work
Snerk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Phat73 Build Reply with quote

Where's the VW content?
Phat73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Phat73 Build Reply with quote

Well, I found out today the front floor pans of a 73 VW are made of Swiss cheese. Pictures to follow.
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Phat73 Build Reply with quote

Will be a good journey with awesome results ... subscribed !

Looking forward to updates ... as they happen !

jinx

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Phat73 Build Reply with quote

I really want to do a Gulf livery on my autocross build. I havn't seen any examples on a Beetle that look good..the lines aren't right.

I'm really interested in what you come up with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Phat73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Phat73 Build Reply with quote

Color scheme: the photo of that 917 really gave me some good ideas for lining out the body, despite the fact that some nelly naysayer didn't think there was any "vw content" in the thread.

I will have to get a poster of the 917 and put it up in the shop.

The separation stripe between the blue and orange looks black but actually it is a dark blue and you really need to get a badge of white in there somewhere to really make it pop.

Thanks for the responses.
Phat73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Phat73 Build Reply with quote

Okay here is today's update( with pix). Now I'm going to assume that if you are looking here for information then you, like me, are a newby.

So if what I post seems obvious to any veterans please just indulge the newcomers.

So this is Day zero, the car just got delivered by a fellow club member. He drove 160 miles each way to get this baby. He left at 11:30 AM and dropped the car off at 19:15.

The first thing I did (the next day) was kinda walk around the car in the shop. I did get it up on wheel dollies so I can move it around. Then I got under there ans started cleaning some crud off the front steering gear and the inner wheel well.

And I found rust!

After that I had to return to work, but yesterday I got into the passenger side floor pan. The photo doesn't really show the extent of the pin hole rust that is in the pan. It appears there was a rear pan replacement done at some point and more recently a very sketchy strip repair done under the seat itself.

The top hat that front of the seat anchors to was completely rusted away from the floor. The only thing holding the seat in was the tracks.

Today I got the gas tank out, disconnected the fuel line at the carb and blew out the line. Man the amount of crap that came out was amazing. Its amazing that any fuel made it through. I rigged a small funnel and filled the line with Sea Foam which I will leave in the line until tomorrow.

Now I realize that removing the tank may be olde hat to many to a newby its a job. So what I figured out was that from under the car I could put a clamp on the fuel line ( with vise grips) and then remove the tank.

I attempted to remove the 2 body mount bolts in the front ( soaked them in PB) but 1 of them broke......but I can fix that.

So that was todays big adventure. Thanks for stoppin by.

OH yea went to VW showéswap meet and got 3 new fenders for 200$
Phat73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Phat73 Build Reply with quote

It's ALIVE, it's ALIVE! Test fired the Death Star today! Yesterday I got the fuel tank out and cleaned and put Sea Foam in the fuel tube along the tunnel.

Today I got a new filter installed at the tank and did a couple of other things before CHANGING THE OIL.

Man I worked on a lube rack for a few years so I have done LOFs on a few cars....I have NEVER seen sludge like what came out of this engine! When I removed the drain plug NO OIL came out. There was a glop of snot started to ooze out of the drain hole.

As I removed the 6 nuts from the screen cover the snot oozed out of the engine, then there was a deluge of the most foul smelling liquid I have ever seen come out of an engine.

The smell of stale gas was enough to gag a maggot! Now the capacity of a VW crank case is about 3 liters, I had 6 liters of crap come out of the crank case. I know it was 6 liters because I measured it afterward.

The filter screen was plugged solid, and I mean solid. I used a whole can of brake cleaner getting that thing spruced up.

When it came to actually fire the beast Heisenberg (that's its name) was not a happy camper! It took a bit to get it going because I had to get fuel through to the float. When it fired up there was a lot of smoke and noise.

I thought I was screwed, I figured the engine was a goner but once it had a chance run a bit and warm up the smoking stopped and things seemed to mellow right out.

So tomorrow I have to check valve lash. So that's it from action central. Thanks for stoppin by.
Phat73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Phat73 Build Reply with quote

Tuesday , July 10, 2018 got 6 hrs in n the car today, now I'm up to 21 hrs.

I want a car like the ones i see everybody working on on YouTube! I want a car where you just squirt some PB on the threads and it just comes apart! Ya know somethin' That just ain't happenin' with my car!

Ya see see this body bolt, well the head was so farkin corroded that I couldn't even get a socket on there. All the PB Blaster in the world ain't gonna fix the bolt! So I attacked it with my sawzall, now that generated a lot of smoke but not really much progress so then I broke out my cut-off wheel. That got the job done!

While had the sawzall going I attacked the rusted out floor pan on the driver's side.

I also found out today that the heater channel on the driver side has had the green weany! So now I am commited to getting the body off.

Thanks for stoppin' by.
Phat73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Phat73 Build Reply with quote

Got in 1 hour on Thursday and 7 hours on Sunday ( yesterday) so now I'm up to 29 hrs.

No pix of yesterday's progress..just rust dust on the floor. I got all the body bolts removed and started to remove the engine.

Rust! Man I hate rust! I only had to cut 2 bolts for the body/pan connection.

I phoned a fellow member, Clay, to ask him something and he gave me great advice as to dropping the engine before I try to lift the body........reduces the height to lift to roll the pan out.

Clay figured I could do it in about 30 minutes...2 hours later I had the rusted to rat shit exhaust off the engine.

By that time it was 5:00, very hot and I was tired. So I cleaned up the shop and when home. Today I will get the engine out and then learn how to weld!
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Phat73 Build Reply with quote

Phat73 wrote:
Got in 1 hour on Thursday and 7 hours on Sunday ( yesterday) so now I'm up to 29 hrs...

You're going to drive yourself insane if you track your project in hours. Me, I'm tracking mine in years. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Phat73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Phat73 Build Reply with quote

35 hours. I got the engine out today.

Now I have heard that 1 person can get a VW engine out in 30 minutes...I doubt it. The throttle cable tube was fuzzed together what a buggar to get apart.

It was a trip getting the car high enough to get the engine out. Even with the jacks at full height I had to drag the engine off the jacks and remove it through the driver side wheel well.

So after all that was done..about four hours, I needed an art break so I grabbed an empty gun wash can I had in the shop and I turned it into a water barrel.

So that was today's big project. Thanks for stopped by.
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Phat73 Build Reply with quote

Three words: Removable Rear Apron

Makes life sooo much easier. I look forward to your rust repair in the front. I have similar that i need to tackle.
TX-73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Phat73 Build Reply with quote

Chad1376 wrote:
Phat73 wrote:
Got in 1 hour on Thursday and 7 hours on Sunday ( yesterday) so now I'm up to 29 hrs...

You're going to drive yourself insane if you track your project in hours. Me, I'm tracking mine in years. Wink

I wound up with just under a bazillion hours getting the bug done.

Good work so far, getting thru the grit, grease, and rust is the hardest part.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: