Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Phat73 Build
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phat73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Phat73 Build Reply with quote

Removal apron! Man I'm all hip to that! That may be one of the first pieces of work I do!

Thanks for stoppin by.
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Phat73 Build Reply with quote

Check out Joels videos on youtube. He shows you where to cut so you can save it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt36dkwtYTI

That should get you started. Happy wrenching.
Phat73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Phat73 Build Reply with quote

Chocho thanks for that link. Very helpful.
Thanks for stoppin by.
Phat73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Phat73 Build Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here a quick shot of the start of my body dolly project. The verticals are attached to the base beam by using hinges with removable pins. This will allow me to disassemble everything.

More detailed pix to follow
Phat73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Phat73 Build Reply with quote

Heisenberg

Dolly. Pardon.
8'Lx6'Wx37"H

Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:27 am    Post subject: Re: Phat73 Build Reply with quote

Is the idea of the hinges so you can collapse the whole thing when you are done with it?
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Phat73 Build Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
Is the idea of the hinges so you can collapse the whole thing when you are done with it?

I don't see how. Other than the uprights being folded onto the lower ones.
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Phat73 Build Reply with quote

Nice work on the bug.
Phat73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Phat73 Build Reply with quote

Thanks Joey.

The idea of the hinges is 2 fold, so I completely disassemble it ( it's stacked out behind the shop) and when it comes time to put it back together I'm not trying to hold 3 things with 2 hands.

Just pin a corner together then go on to the next one. Before any weight is brought to bear on the frame it will be braced with flat corner braces and angle braces were needed.

Thanks for stopping by,
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Phat73 Build Reply with quote

Chad1376 wrote:
Phat73 wrote:
Got in 1 hour on Thursday and 7 hours on Sunday ( yesterday) so now I'm up to 29 hrs...

You're going to drive yourself insane if you track your project in hours. Me, I'm tracking mine in years. Wink

I was tracking mine in smiles and peace signs but lost track. Want another one? Just go for a ride its guaranteed. Very Happy

I must have watched the movie Le Mans a million times as a kid. Looking forward to the paint scheme. l'artiste bombing out fantastic examples as relaxation. This should be good. Cool
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Phat73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Phat73 Build Reply with quote

61 hours.

Today I started on the removable rear apron project.

Getting the rear fenders off was a trip. This is the passenger side before I got things cleaned up.

The driver side was much worse. but I got it cleaned up.

I got one of new fenders temporarily mounted...just to see what it looks like.

And I did start to get the spot welds removed. So I had a pretty good day, 7 hours, and it was smokin hot out at the shop. A 3 bottles of water day!

Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Phat73 Build Reply with quote

Good deal. It will make your life soo much easier. Popcorn
Phat73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Phat73 Build Reply with quote

Well! I got the rear apron out today! Today was one of those days when just nothing seemed to go right and I really questioned why the hell I am doing this!

First thing the new compressor motor puked, I think it is still under warranty...we'll see. Then it was just one thing after another but I stayed at it. Just keep puttin one foot in front of the other and don't stop!

I succeed because I fail.

Now I will tell you, this is sure not what things looked like when I first got the apron out. There was who knows how many years of oil and exhaust soot on everything and I mean everything. But I'm making progress.

Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Phat73 Build Reply with quote

Phat73 wrote:

Well! I got the rear apron out today!

Looks great !! Applause

Phat73 wrote:

Today was one of those days when just nothing seemed to go right and I really questioned why the hell I am doing this!

A day in the life of a bug owner Anxious

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
Phat73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Phat73 Build Reply with quote

Hey Dark I looked at you build site, nice work man. You give me inspiration. to keep at it.
Dark Earth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Phat73 Build Reply with quote

Phat73 wrote:
Hey Dark I looked at you build site, nice work man. You give me inspiration. to keep at it.

Ha ha, thanks Phat73. Yeah, I just jeep plugging away. I've come a short way in a long time. Laughing
I look forward to seeing your progress and later your paint job.

~I'm almost done. I just lack finishing up.~ Anxious
pondoras box
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Phat73 Build Reply with quote

Try a 50/50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid instead PB blaster. works much better. also use heat and then quench with cold water to help with rusted hardware.

Doesn't matter how many years we have been into VW's we still want to see more projects so yes we are interested in the projects of the new guys. Plus people will give you tips and ideas to solve problems you run into.

Good luck with your project, keeping track of hours is one thing but I would suggest you don't do the same thing for the cost it tends to be discouraging.

1961 23 Window (Bobo)
1965 11 Window (Zelda)
1965 13 Window (Lucas)
1957 Oval ragtop
1988 Cabriolet VR6 conversion
Plus a lot of other rusty junk
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Phat73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Phat73 Build Reply with quote

74 hours. Hey Pandora I'm hip to not tracking the cost, I'm not that brave.

I played hooky today and went and played on the car. I needed to do something creative so I sanded down my "new' rear fenders and paint stripped the apron. Then I sprayed some PPG epoxy on things.

The fenders are NOS..old being the operative word in this phrase. They are in pretty good shape but had some surface scratches on em from being moved around, and around over the years.

There were tracers of surface rust generally all over so I sanded em with 40 grit to get a good tooth. The apron had a lot of different paint jobs on it, all pretty much the stock blue but never redone properly.

It took several apps of stripper and then some 100 grit to get it ready for sealer. So FUN DAY man. I love shootin'

thanks for stoppin by.
Phat73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Phat73 Build Reply with quote

this was today's Art Attack. I got tired and overheated cleaning the engine bay so I took an art break. Pictures of cleaned engine bay to follow.

this was hand done using an orange sharpie, a 99cent letter stencil, some RTS (ready to shoot) white base that I brushed on and a school grade geometry set.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Phat73 Build Reply with quote

Looking like the start of a project! You will need new heater channels, from what I can see. Inspect those and decide, before getting in too deep, if that is something you want to spend time and money on. It is not for everyone!

You got my attetion. I will be following along!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: