Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

steering column removal
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fcgadget
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: steering column removal Reply with quote

read the books, read the posts, but....

with the lower clamp removed, and turning the steering wheel to loosen the shaft (I can feel the breakaway), it still doesn't want to come out.

I can't find an 'exploded' diagram to see bushings/shims/etc that may still be holding things. Is there one out there somewhere?

Am I missing something?
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: steering column removal Reply with quote

... hard to say, if you are missing something or not... removal of the steering "column" should be a pretty simple operation... is not really a column. per say... is more like a shaft inside a steering tube.
What I do is with the gas tank removed, is remove the bolt and nut that pinches the steering rod to the part that is attached with 2 bolts to the steering box. That should release the steering shaft and allow one to pull the unit out, by the steering wheel.
You CANNOT just remove the 2 bolts from the rubber ring on the steering box and pull out as that connecting piece does not fit through the steering tube.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fcgadget
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: steering column removal Reply with quote

I removed clamp and bolt at the bottom of the shaft, liberally squirted KT oil in there and pulled on the wheel with no resulting movement.

The clamp and spline were pretty rusty. I also turned the steering wheel to both sides past the normal stopping point to break the bottom of the shaft free. But no joy....

I was worried that there was something at the upper end that would prevent it from just sliding out
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: steering column removal Reply with quote

Where the clamp and bolt are(attached to steering box) there is a slot in the shaft/rod. Do you use a chisel or screw driver to enlarge the shaft so that the end piece(which connects to the steering box) can come off?

You can’t simply remove the bolt and expect them to come apart. VW put that slot there assist in removal and compressing the shaft around the end piece.

I hope that makes sense
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fcgadget
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: steering column removal Reply with quote

Well, The shaft is loose from the clamp. It rotates independently from the clamp (bolt removed) and the coupling disc.

But it refuses to come out of the tube. I'm almost afraid the steering wheel will break because I'm pulling so hard....
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: steering column removal Reply with quote

This might help.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=398710&highlight=steering+column+remove

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
fcgadget
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: steering column removal Reply with quote

My problem is that the shaft IS loose. but the shaft will not come out.

The rag joint at the bottom is free.
Pulling on the wheel produces NO movement upwards.

It seems like something is holding the shaft still
THX 1138
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: steering column removal Reply with quote

Did you remove the two bolts on the clamp holding the tube under the dash right below the speedo?
fcgadget
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: steering column removal Reply with quote

No. From what I have read I don't need to remove the tube to pull the shaft out. I'd rather not take too many things apart. My goal in this is to fix the horn system at the brush.
OvalinAz
Samba Mini Tech

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: steering column removal Reply with quote

fcgadget wrote:
No. From what I have read I don't need to remove the tube to pull the shaft out. I'd rather not take too many things apart. My goal in this is to fix the horn system at the brush.

If you want the shaft to come out you have to undo the bolt that holds the clamp on the coupler part. once thats unbolted and the coupler end is out it should come right out

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

12/62 French 11 Window Bus
Wedge VW
Pandraggers C.C.
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: steering column removal Reply with quote

I think your problem is that it is still stuck onto the coupling bracket shaft. While you were able to break it loose, that turning with the steering wheel is a lot of leverage compared to pulling the wheel toward you. Remove the two bolts at the coupling bracket and see if the column will move outwards until the bracket hits the tube.
fcgadget
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: steering column removal Reply with quote

thanks OvalinAz...

My dilemma is that somehow something moved and now I can't get it back to what it was. Gave up on the shaft removal, maybe try another time. Now I can't get the clamp lined up (see next post)
fcgadget
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: steering column removal Reply with quote

Ovalin Az

what year is your bug? Mine doesn't have the horn wire coming out the column at the bottom...it has the side tit in the passenger area.
motofly196
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: steering column removal Reply with quote

Sometimes it's good to move to something else for a little bit. Spray down the spline area through the split area with your favorite spray, and keep hitting it a few times a day. When you come back to it, you might have better luck.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: steering column removal Reply with quote

fcgadget wrote:
Ovalin Az

what year is your bug? Mine doesn't have the horn wire coming out the column at the bottom...it has the side tit in the passenger area.

Yours shouldn't have the wire coming out the bottom. His is a later column used after the horn brush was eliminated
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0nebadbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: steering column removal Reply with quote

By looking at your picture... Remove the 2 coupler bolts so that you are disconnected from the flex coupler. Then, after, you'll be able slide the connected pieces to allow enough room to nicely persuade the knurled stub back from the shaft with a good solid rubber mallet (if needed slightly open the slit a bit with good stout flat screwdriver and twist slightly at the very end of the shaft and open it 1 or 2 mm's but just don't get crazy with opening it and also do the same with the outer clamp and slide it up above the shaft slit as well so it is out of the way), once the stub end is off the entire shaft will slide right out of the tube easy peasy...

The problem you're having is that the knurled stub (and/or notch) is stuck in the shaft and needs to be removed (very common). The steering connection was is a critical connection and was not made to simply slide it off... and seeing as your going to have to remove it anyway, spend $15 and order & install in a new coupler anyway...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As far as realigning goes? Use a metal scribe or a paint marker prior to removal of anything (but you're already kinda beyond that so it will be trial & error... It's not very difficult at all).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: