Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Truck Fridge Eurovan Camper install. Help!
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
whizzif
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Truck Fridge Eurovan Camper install. Help! Reply with quote

I took the old fridge out and taped the gas fitting (just in the rare even someone wanted to put an original Norcold back in there). Got the new fridge in (just AC/DC) and my question is when I turn the gas on, will gas come leaking out of that copper pipe or ? How do I need make sure I don't blow the van up next time I cook? I use the stove a lot so I'm a little freaked out that gas will be coming through there and ignite behind the fridge if something sparks.

Can someone shed some light on this and what I should do or if I'm good to go (perhaps the tank has another valving mechanism for that line?)

Thanks!
e&m_ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Truck Fridge Eurovan Camper install. Help! Reply with quote

"Taped"? The line should be plugged with a metal compression joint.

We didn't like the extra length of tubing dangling under the sink when we replaced our fridge with an all-electric model, so we cut it off near the floor - but with enough length to allow someone to reconnect new copper tubing, should anyone really want to do that.

We flared the tubing and connected a matching compression plug to seal it off. The tools & hardware required, can all be obtained from your local hardware or home improvement store.

We then checked the joint with a bubble (soapy fluid) test, to make sure that nothing was leaking when we turned on the tank valve.
whizzif
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Truck Fridge Eurovan Camper install. Help! Reply with quote

Thanks so much for taking time to respond! I’m actually getting a plumber to come help. I know I could probably go get the tools and figure it out but my girlfriend and I spend a lot of time in the van and i just want that peace of mind. I got a nut to try and screw into the open fitting. Just won’t work with that weird compression flare fitting. RV places are booked here so hopefully a residential plumber can handle it. Really appreciate the input though! It helps! And means a ton. I love the people on this forum. If I ever become wealthy, I am going to pay you all back for the help!
e&m_ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Truck Fridge Eurovan Camper install. Help! Reply with quote

I noticed you also inquired under a different topic here. Which kind of compression fitting did you try?

Ours was a flared-tube fitting, which is different from most of the fittings you'd find in the plumbing section of the hardware stores. Or perhaps you can find them where the gas fittings are. But it should be there.

This shows a picture near the top & has other helpful hints:
http://xochi.com/evc/vitrifrigo-c60i/

If you're not familiar with them, though, it's better to get someone out who can recognize the fitting and attach the right one, correctly, and test it out. It's not difficult, so just be sure to watch.
whizzif
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Truck Fridge Eurovan Camper install. Help! Reply with quote

That 3/8 flare cap is exactly what I bought but it doesn’t thread and the the nutnfitting on the pipe moved on the pipe so it needs something to pull it to compress and seal. On the fridge the shutoff valve assembly was fixed so this is what I presume it pulled against to seal. Plumber will be here Thursday. Smile
Thanks though! Once I tackle that, the next step is trying to wire up and mount 2 Renogy 100W flexible panels on the roof so I can keep the fridge going.
whizzif
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Truck Fridge Eurovan Camper install. Help! Reply with quote

Update. Got my local propane place to cap it. $20. Took it out for its first trip. Cannot believe I waited so long. I’ve owned a few vans over the years. This is hands down worth every penny. I ran it almost all day and it didn’t even put a dent in my battery. I was worried because the old fridge would run for 30 min on DC before killing my battery. This thing is so much better and more efficient. Install wasn’t bad at all. I think a 100W panel will work. I rarely spend more than one night in a place and am usually driving to a trailhead or somewhere else so it really doesn’t kill my battery. Simply stoked on this purchase from WestyVentures. Karl helped me a ton.
bcolins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Truck Fridge Eurovan Camper install. Help! Reply with quote

whizzif wrote:
Update. Got my local propane place to cap it. $20. Took it out for its first trip. Cannot believe I waited so long. I’ve owned a few vans over the years. This is hands down worth every penny. I ran it almost all day and it didn’t even put a dent in my battery. I was worried because the old fridge would run for 30 min on DC before killing my battery. This thing is so much better and more efficient. Install wasn’t bad at all. I think a 100W panel will work. I rarely spend more than one night in a place and am usually driving to a trailhead or somewhere else so it really doesn’t kill my battery. Simply stoked on this purchase from WestyVentures. Karl helped me a ton.

What fridge did you purchase? Can we see a pic of it installed?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: