Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Scored a local ‘71 Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Just doing little stuff. Got the silver insulation I installed on the heater pipe undercoated, looks better now. Got my dome light working, it needed a new connector and a bulb. Also fixed the holes in the passenger wheel well, let’s call it a permanent temporary fix.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Bulli Klinik wrote:

Unless you have poor hearing, I doubt that you and your passengers will enjoy those straight-cut gears.

This is going back a few pages...but, there is absolutely zero noise in the bus from the straight cut gears. You can barely hear them with the engine lid up and reving the engine with your hand.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

So, I thought I’d be slick and clean up the paint with EZ-Off. There was so many different colors of spray paint and house paint on the body and I just wand something more uniform. Turns out I just fucked it up more. The EZ-Off stripped waaay more off then I anticipated. I thought the new look would grow on me, if it didn’t. It just looked shitty. So I ordered some color matching paint from Wolfsburg and got busy trying to fix it.

I sanded it some more, primed the bare areas, sanded the primer and put several light coats on it. Then I hit the new paint with a scotch bright pad, 400, 1500 and 2000 wet/dry to try and make it kinda match. It’s not perfect, but it’s waaay better and there’s no more camo look.

Before paint (after I fucked it up)

After paint, I almost want to paint the whole bus under the belt line.

I bet some time in the alpine sun and a few dirt road trips, it’ll blend in just fine.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

No matter what the paint looks like, it's a great '71 Westy!
Perfect for living and touring Colorado. Dancing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2020 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Bulli Klinik wrote:

Unless you have poor hearing, I doubt that you and your passengers will enjoy those straight-cut gears.

This is going back a few pages...but, there is absolutely zero noise in the bus from the straight cut gears. You can barely hear them with the engine lid up and reving the engine with your hand.
I really don’t hear mine much, but then I don’t hear much of anything anymore!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

I just turn up the Black Uhuru till suspicious noises fade like today's bad news....
Bulli Klinik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2020 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
I just turn up the Black Uhuru till suspicious noises fade like today's bad news....

Works great for dry points too, though I'm more of a Linton Kwesi Johnson guy.
Colorado Springs
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

My rear pop top hold down finally came in. I must be missing a part, cause it was too big. I used a piece of 3/16 OSB to fill the gap. Once I did that, it fit nice and snug.

I also installed a piece of molding on the head banger. The veneer was pealing up and it looked like there was supposed too be something there. I tried spray adhesive on the veneer, but it still was lifting. So I used some molding.

What am I missing here?

This is what I was using. Not the prettiest, but is worked.

Molding

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Both my rear hold downs are just a tad too long too. They mostly just hang there not hooked up. A little spacer like you have would help though. Mine are black and I did find the black ones fit little tighter and are less stretchy. I bought the yellow one too and never used it because it didn’t fit worth a darn and too stretchy I thought. No idea why they don’t fit well.
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
will t
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Molding
[/quote]

Many may have pointed this out before, but with a hair dryer you can straighten and re-set that squiggly edge tape like at the back of your wardrobe cabinet. My cabinets (inside the bus) sat in a field in western Colorado for 23 years and were all like that, and now they all look like they had been in a garage the whole time. It's interesting, because I think heat causes them to shrink up that way, but it is heat that I have found sets them right. As you heat them, you do have to pull them out of the slot and stretch them flat and back to their original length before you press them back into place. Great bus!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Pre-winter fall time oil change. Beautiful 75* bluebird day! Made for good bike racing and oil changing weather.

4 3/4 qts of Castrol 10w/30, 1/4 qt of Lucas ZDDP and a Wix filter. Ready to go camping next weekend!

New sticker too.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2020 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Love the new sticker!

It's dangerous being a cow around these parts. Laughing

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Installed a new German rear hatch seal today. It was the first seal I've done, not to bad of a job. Seems to be all about the prep, like most jobs. Maybe I’ll do the slider next.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2020 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

I really noticed a reduction in engine noise and road dust after installing my new seal ( I did NOT get the good German one, it was too big and I had to make it fit). Also no annoying puddles by the back hatch after snow storms. How did you install it? I used lightly brushed on roofing tar followed by locktight glue. Keeps it supple and in place ( borrowed from the split forum).

Engine doing well?
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:

Isn’t she monitoring all hailing frequencies?
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Manfred58sc wrote:
I really noticed a reduction in engine noise and road dust after installing my new seal ( I did NOT get the good German one, it was too big and I had to make it fit). Also no annoying puddles by the back hatch after snow storms. How did you install it? I used lightly brushed on roofing tar followed by locktight glue. Keeps it supple and in place ( borrowed from the split forum).

Engine doing well?

I used 3M weatherstrip adhesive I got from my flaps. The tube had a nice needle tip to it, so I went around the channel with the tip and made 2 rows of adhesive side by side and use my finger to spread it (kinda) evenly. As that was getting tacky I put the adhesive on the seal itself. Once that was kinda tacky I put the seal in place. I used a unsharpened carpenters pencil to seat the seal. Not that bad of a job, only time will tell if I did a good job and what the quality of the seal really is.

The engine is great! It starts at the instant turn of the key and purrs like a kitten. I’m running the Webber’s as they came in the box and I’m getting 20-21 on the hwy and around 16-17 in town depending how heavy I am on the pedal. It’s got plenty of power to pull the hills and passes around here and I do notice the difference of the CB equalizer pulley compared to the stock pulley while climbing. It runs a bit warmer then my last engine, but no 2 engines are the same. After lots of trending I’ve found the oil coming out of the external cooler is 30* cooler then the oil in the case (or what my oil temp gauge says). So all systems are working well. Heat is good, leisure battery set up is nice, the interior is nice to be in and sleep in, I like having the stock cabinetry, the ride with the 27x8.5 Grabbers is plush and the Kennedy Stage 1 clutch is still my favorite upgrade. This has been a weird year for everyone and I still don’t have a ton of miles on it. But, we have been talking about a several week trip to Cali next fall. We are thinking LEGO Land for Miles and then either heading south to Baja or north to the Oregon coast. Depending if the border is open, time and weather. If we went north my wife would be more more than happy to hang out in Northern California, so we might not make it all the way to Oregon.

We are camping this weekend at the Wines of the San Juan’s. Should be a blast, I’ll post pics on my Adventure thread.

Rich P.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

will t wrote:

Many may have pointed this out before, but with a hair dryer you can straighten and re-set that squiggly edge tape like at the back of your wardrobe cabinet. My cabinets (inside the bus) sat in a field in western Colorado for 23 years and were all like that, and now they all look like they had been in a garage the whole time. It's interesting, because I think heat causes them to shrink up that way, but it is heat that I have found sets them right. As you heat them, you do have to pull them out of the slot and stretch them flat and back to their original length before you press them back into place. Great bus!

The weather is turning to winter here, so today was kinda a slow day. Since the Broncos were getting their asses kicked I turned to the bus. Even tho it wasn’t really bothering me I decided to work on the cabinet molding. I pulled the molding, put it in a pot of hot water (not boiling, just hot), let it sit for a few minutes and reinstalled it. It was cool to see the wavy sections straiten out while in the water. Once removed from the water the molding hardened quickly, I’m sure it being 45* outside helped. I had a hair dryer handy, but I didn’t need to use it as the molding didn’t require to be stretched upon reinstallation. Did use a mallet to hammer the molding back into place. I didn’t use glue, I figured if it shrinks again all I lost was some time.

Too many photos for a simple job.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
jmstu76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Rich,

Why is the Kennedy Clutch your favorite upgrade?

'76 Deluxe Sage Green Westy
2258 cc GD case 78mm CW crank, 2.0 H-beam rods 5,325” 22mm pin, JE forged pistons with 15cc dish, JE rings, type 11 clearanced oil pump, CB Eagle 2205 Type-2 “Torque Special” hydraulic cam with matched lifters fed by CB Dual Weber 40 IDF MX with 6” foam air filters, currently 55 idle, 130 main, 200 air correction, 32 mm venturis. 27in General Grabber AT2 All Terrains, Berg Shifter, stock '76 exhaust HPC Ceramic Coated. 11/18/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2020 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

jmstu76 wrote:

Why is the Kennedy Clutch your favorite upgrade?

Im running a 200mm VW Kennedy Stage 1, 1700 lb. Pressure Plate with a Valeo 6 spring disc and a balanced and faced OG flywheel. I like the weight of it, I like the way it engages (both up and down) and grabs the gears, it’s crisp, it’s smooth and does not chatter. It feels true every time you engage it. For $110 - $160, depending on where you buy it, it’s an amazing upgrade especially with a large displacement engine. This is the second one I’ve had and I insisted on it with this build. Comparing cost to benefit, I will not run any other clutch in my VW.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 26

Jump to: