Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Scored a local ‘71 Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Where's that transmission from?

'69 Bug
'68 Baja Truck
'71 Bug
'68 Camper

Only losers litter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Brian wrote:

Looks like JDM. If he build transaxle like he tunes dual carbs, it will be gooooood.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Brian wrote:

JAD rebuilt the transaxle. New bearings except for one, because it was only available from China. New first and second gears, third and forth were shitty out of the box so the originals were used. They were still in good shape. M

Gotta call BD, was shorted a part and one of the items sucks and I want to return it.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Wasted youth wrote:

Q: What does ‘full rings’ mean?

TBH I don’t know. Builders choice and I have yet to ask, but he was all about it. My guess is that it gives a total seal and lets nothing by. What does Skills have to say???!!???

OK, I got your answer. The rings seal completely so no compression gets by during the stroke. So, when you’re adjusting your valves and rotating the engine with a wrench you feel the compression when you hear a hissing sound. The hissing sound is compression getting past the rings. This engine will not make that noise.

I heard from Bush Power Brake today, they receive my booster and sent out the rebuilt one today. I should have it middle of next week
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Good day with the bus. I got about 1/2 of the pan scraped and wire wheeled. The cab pan has been wire wheeled, scrubbed, vacuumed and is ready for paint. Hoping to finish the pan tomorrow so i can start priming it. I’m only gonna paint the cab pan and the cargo pan on the interior. I also banged, pulled and pried some panels back into place. Gotta love a good strike with a hammer. Tomorrow is another day.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
does Skills have to say???!!???

personally, I think they are a gimmick. they usually cause high vacuum, on decel which pulls oil into the cylinders via the valve guides. these don't have vales stem seals, so they can use oil.

I have seen domestic muscle actually pull a valve stem seal almost inside out, and toss the little wire spring retainer for a ride. they also cause higher crankcase pressure now that everything is sealed.

top compression ring usually gets oil starved because the oil is essentially wiped off before it can enjoy any. the flip side is it can try and suck some thru the valve guide Laughing

in high boost applications they may not be a *bad* idea.

these were essentially designed for racers and the hi-po crowd to eek every oz of hp out of an engine. these are also engines that get torn down after every race/season too.

would I use them? no. and I am pushing about 25psi into a 1.8t with stock pistons and rings. PCV system is dry, as well as the intercooler.

but...we all have our own ways of doing things.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Dats what I’m talking about, a proper schooling! Your thoughts will be passed on and as always thanks for your input.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2019 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

at the end of the day, it's up to your builder and his experience. if he stands by his work and you're happy with him then that is all that really matters.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

After mowing the yard this morning I got busy working on my pressure washer. I needed it to clean out the engine bay, this bus defiantly had a bad oil leak for a long time. A few nights ago I fired it up and it would barely run, I pulled the bowl and cleaned the main jet. Runs great now! I sprayed down the engine bay down with degreaser the pressure washer the shit out of it. I had to scrap some areas and spray them again, but I got it pretty clean. I still need to vacuum it (again), scrub it down with 409 and spray it out again. I think I’m gonna paint the valance and the battery tray. Honestly I can’t believe the battery tray is still in good shape. I’ve also pulled all the shocks and the steering damper.

Speaking of paint, I went to the local ACE to get some more Krylon Dover White and....they fucking got rid of all the Krylon. WTF!!! I asked one of the employees and he went to the back and found 4 cans, I bought them all. Gonna have to stretch those cans out.

I just about have the whole pan wire wheeled now. Minus the 1/2 dozen holes the pan is in pretty good shape. I sprayed 2 cans of primer on the sections that were done, I would have kept on wire wheeling but both my drill batteries were dead and it was late.

I worked on breaking loose the spring plate bolts and the hub bolts. A few days ago I soaked them with PB Blaster. All 16 bolts came loose with a little convincing but over all not bad. I’d like to adjust the rear torsion and do the rear brakes before it goes to the shop, but we’ll see how far I actually get. Cleaning, priming and undercoating/painting are my main goals right now.

Battery tray
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pretty clean after a bit of cleaning.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
MorkC68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

I’ve enjoyed reading this thread, good luck with the project Very Happy
- 180W Solar System

My blog: https://twolatebays.wordpress.com/
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Looking good! FWIW, I bought a few can of the LD 90 from Wolfsburg west and it was a perfect match.
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

MorkC68 wrote:
I’ve enjoyed reading this thread, good luck with the project Very Happy

71whitewesty wrote:
Looking good! FWIW, I bought a few can of the LD 90 from Wolfsburg west and it was a perfect match.

Thanks guys, it’s kinda a big project and a little overwhelming sometimes. But one step a time and things will come together.

Ball joints came in today. Nakatas were not available through the vendor at the moment so I got Flennors. They say Germany and nowhere does it say Mexico or Brazil.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Things are moving along and orders are still showing up. The Sew Fine order came in, the color is pretty close. Hard to judge the old from the new, cause the new is new and the old is old. But it’s pretty close and I’m sure it'll look fine when it’s all together.

Got the rebuilt brake booster back, looks good and has a 1 yr warranty. Thanks to Aeromech for helping with this although he doesn’t know it. I was told where to get the booster by someone who he told. Thanks!!!

Best part of the day was the external oil cooler was completed. This is a custom cooler with two T4 oil coolers mated to a aluminum block that has been machined. Oil will enter the cooler via the top hole, then T to both coolers and back out the bottom hole. The fan will push air over the cooler when necessary and will be controlled by a switch on the dash. The engine will also have a T4 oil cooler, sooo looking like 3 T4 coolers on this bus.

Been working on cleaning up the ignition housing and steering column. Just finished painting both. Now I got to install the ignition new switch and install everything. Gotta get this job done so I can put the steering box back in.

Upholstery

Booster

External oil cooler

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Upholstery looks fantastic.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

that's a pretty nice external cooler setup. Where will you mount it? You'll have no oil temp problems with 3 of those puppies.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
that's a pretty nice external cooler setup. Where will you mount it? You'll have no oil temp problems with 3 of those puppies.

Thanks, the builder loves to come up with new stuff. It will be mounted on the drivers side battery tray. It should cool nicely. We are thinking that this set up should be as efficient the Maxi Cool if not more and it’s 1/2 the price. Just ordered a velocity ring for the fan shroud.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Went outside to take my son to the bus stop and found a BD box on my porch. It had my German pop top canvas in it, woot woot!!! Dancing Looks nice, won’t be getting that installed for another month or so.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
71whitewesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

The new covers do look nice! I wonder if they have the same material as NLAVW? It’s hard to tell from the photos but looks close enough either way.
1969 Tucker Sno cat 542
2017 VW Alltrac
71 tin top stock 1600 DP (project but runs)
Twin 71 White Westy, Bus 2, that I pulled from a 15 year slumber in a dry eastern WA field in 2015.
1966 Sundial Camper "Boomer"
Wasted youth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:51 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Looking great Rich!

PM sent...
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

very nice cooler set up!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 26

Jump to: