Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Scored a local ‘71 Westy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Magion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

71whitewesty wrote:
richparker wrote:
71whitewesty wrote:
Cool. I meant to say E Bike is in my furniture. Your rack will certainly be better for heavy loads.
I still love the fiamma but I’m probably maxing out how much weight I want to put on the rear hatch. Almost seems like you could run both types of racks if you had three or four bikes to haul. I usually put a third bike up on the luggage rack but a fourth bike is hard to pack now that everyone is on full size bikes.

One of the biggest hurdles with E bikes right now is trail accessibility. Here in Durango there is only one trail system That is open to Ebikes. I’d be willing to bet that all those trails you just rode with your son on your Southwest trip or not E bike accessible.

True on the access for the E Bikes. So far where I live there are no restrictions on them. Also thinking realistically I would probably only really use the E Bike here at home anyway, one e bike doesn't really work if the others are not. But I am interested in the possibility of using both types of racks together to see if 4 bikes is possible to haul that way. It's getting tight in the Bus now with the kids growing up. Very Happy

Sean, I also ended up switching to the dark side this year and bought 2 Turbo Levos. Up until now I was proudly sporting Fiamma bike rack (did not have that installed when we dropped by your place couple years back). My main concern was that the Fiamma is only rated up to 35kg and one Levo weighs 19.5kg with the battery taken off. And you know what, it does not even matter because the bottom rails are so too close to each other for the new beefier bikes. I think the weight limit is there because of the entire weight is basically hang on the hatch. T3 and T4 Fiammas can carry far more in terms of wight. My plan is to get hitch receiver and probably the same bike carrier as Rich has. - is that Thule? Thule seems to be the winner so far

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sorry to spam in you thread, your bus looks awesome with the bike sitting on the rack!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

71whitewesty wrote:
But I am interested in the possibility of using both types of racks together to see if 4 bikes is possible to haul that way. It's getting tight in the Bus now with the kids growing up. Very Happy

The Thule, yakima and Kuat hitch racks are all available in 2 bike or 4 bike racks. Instead of using 2 racks your could just get a 4 bike, however it would stick out further. The 4 bike is only available in a 2” receiver though.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

I felt the tach and aftermarket gauge lights were over powering the factory instruments so installed 2.3w bulbs in the factory instrument cluster. Originally I wanted to install 1w bulbs in the gauges, but I couldn’t find them so I just went brighter.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

I installed a 4 way 5x7 dash speaker today. What a difference in the sound, Lil P will even be able to hear the tunes in the back now.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Manfred58sc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Lap siding and flip flops! Best post of the whole thread, that's how its done!!!!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Been thinking about some sort of partial air intake cover for winter driving. As ACVW drivers we all know once the temperature gets below 25* or so the engine doesn’t get warm enough and the heat suffers. I’ve seen pics on the forum of a winter intake cover that VW produced. A few winters back Robbie seemed to have good success using blue painters tape to partially cover his intakes. My idea was to make a cardboard template, cut it out of fiberglass and use threaded J hooks to hold them in place. This is not my final product, it needs to tweaked with spacers and I need to cut the threads down. But, it’s a start.

This isn’t something I wouldn’t run all the time. I’m thinking I’m gonna run some tests and record some data to see how they work. If it doesn’t work or I feel it’s hindering performance in some way it only cost me $10.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Here’s the final product on the partial intake covers. I wanted to cut down the threads, but if I leave them long it makes installation and removal easier and faster. Since I have my external cooler installed on the drivers side of the engine bay, I think I’ll install only the drivers side one to start and see how that changes things.

This is not something I’m planning on running all the time. But, Miles is getting older, crushing it on the slopes and I want to start doing father son ski camping trips. Im thinking load up on a Friday, drive to Snowbowl in Flagstaff, camp in the lot and ski for the weekend. Our winter Power Pass gets us unlimited skiing at 6 ski areas in the four corners and 3 days at Monarch out side of Salida. I’m gearing up for winter camping/ski adventures with my kid. Super stoked for this!

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Wifey and Lil P hooked me up with a CB billet alternator pulley for Fathers Day. Thanks guys!!!

Since the CB nut for this pulley is aluminum and the guys in the engine forum have reported it backing off. I’m gonna go with this steel EMPI one, can’t believe I’m putting something EMPI on my engine. 🙄. I gotta turn it black first tho.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

I got the pulley installed, looks pretty good. I have two EMPI nuts so I’m gonna powder coat the spare one, wifey can powder coat it in her studio. The chrome one doesn’t look half bad tho, maybe it’ll grow on me. I also lubed the speedo cable and the speedo itself, the needle was bouncing a lot. It’s a lot better now, hopefully it’ll smooth out as the lube works in more.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

I run deez nuts too Wink Happy Father’s Day.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Been working on little stuff to dial the bus in some more. This week I decided I wanted to hook up an aftermarket windshield washer pump. I’ve owned 5 buses in my day and none of them have had a working washer. I did some googling, got some ideas and then searched the forum. Looks like this is a pretty common upgrade and I can’t believe I didn’t do it on Bones. Anyway, I bought a pump from Autozone, found a L bracket in my garage to attach it to, got some hardware from ACE and went for it. The pump came with hose connectors and I was able to use all of the factory hoses. My bus did not come with a rear window and the only one I could find locally was out of a ‘69, so I do not have a rear defroster. So I decided to hook the pump up to the factory defroster switch and it works great!

I also turned the LED light bar around in my ARB awning. The power wire for the light came out in the rear and I wanted it in the front so I could run the wire thru the passenger vent window. It took a little time, but I got it done. Then I installed another 12V outlet which I hooked to my second fuse box. This way I can plug the light in. It’s pretty hidden and looks clean.

I also scored a free 20lb propane tank, which I’ll be carrying to power my propane fire pit (every summer there is a fire ban, so now I have a propane pit. Those are still legal to use), camp stove and grill. I bought a splitter with hoses that have the ends for the 1lb camp accessories. I’ll also be able to run my Buddy off it too I want.

Washer pump on a modified L bracket

Here it is installed under the reservoir, I also took down the head of the bolt on the grinder.

Reservoir installed, can’t see the pump

12v outlet, the screw I hooked the ground to was already there. So I used it

Looks pretty clean after I got it all put back together

Here the LED light bar built into the ARB awning. It has 3 light color modes and they are all dimable.

Here’s one of the pump in action. I’m missing the tip on the passenger side, but it still works. I’m sure I’ll come across one someday day.

Link

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Jeff Geisen
Samba Chaplain

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Good job on the washer Rich.

‘63 ragtop - ‘68 single cab
ImAddicted
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Nice job, looks better than mine (I mounted the pump to the bottle bracket). You will love it. Now to get better nozzles, that’s next on my list.
Original condition, which means something different on this forum than anywhere else!
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Got this today. Hopefully it won’t be necessary, but now that I have a solid hitch I wanted on for 4CORE. It was hard to find one with a a high enough load rating, this one is 4000 lbs and it is the highest I could find for a 1 1/4”.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Received a back up 65/70* thermostat today, I bought it from Manfredsc58. It’s pretty clean and it works. I used my wife’s sliver solder torch to test it. It didn’t take much heat to get it to expand. As soon as it moved I removed the heat, I didn’t want it to expand too far. As the expansion size is limited by the bracket.

Thanks Manfred!!!

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Oil change and valve adjustment today. It has only been 800 miles since my last one, but figured I should do it before the 9 day trip at the end of the month. All the exhaust valves were a little tight.

Gotta order a few more items and I should be ready for the adventure.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

So…yesterday after I posted I went out to start the bus and nothing. Not even a click. 😳 WTF! I check all the fuses and then checked my aftermarket hot start relay. I tried a jumper wire to jump the starter and nothing. I had the dikes in my pocket cause I just made the jump wire, so I smacked the relay a few times and tried to jump it again. Bam, we had power! Then I tried the key and it started right up. I tried several more times throughout the evening and it started every time. Today I went to Napa and bought a new relay. Not sure where the old relay was from, my guess is O’riellys, but the Napa one looks nicer and is heavier. Took about 10 minutes to swap out, it started right up and I put the used on in my stash in case of a roadside emergency.

There are definitely some differences between the two relays.

Here it is installed, it’s mounted to a custom bracket that is bolted to the transaxle

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Today I took apart the passenger rear wheel bearing, cleaned it all, repacked them and put everything back together. I did this because I buried that tire in a mud hole last week for about 45 minutes. I was worried that the bearings would be full of clay or water. There was some water, not much and no clay. I wanted to get this done ASAP because we will be leaving for another camping adventure on Friday.

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Changed the oil and adjusted the valves. It has only been 700 miles and 2 trips since my last oil change/valve adjustment, but I wanted fresh oil before our trip this weekend. Looks like we are gonna cover around 900 miles in 3 days. Number 2 intake and exhaust and the #3 intake were all a tad loose. They measured at .007, all valves are set at .006 now. Just gotta pack up and we’ll be ready.

This engine is finally loosening up and I can feel the power!!! Zoom zoom!

Running good and still looking good!

’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
camit34
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Scored a local ‘71 Westy Reply with quote

Nice work Rich! Going to steal a lot of your ideas!
1967 Freedom Camper (SOLD)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Jump to:
Page 22 of 26

Jump to: