Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil breakdown with time?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Oil breakdown with time? Reply with quote

Does anyone know for sure that engine oil breaks down with time?

Let’s say you only put 1500 miles a year on your bug. That would take two years to get up to the maximum mileage before an oil change is due. However, most car manufacturers say to change your oil at least once a year—despite the mil age.

Does the oil age or chemically lose its effectiveness while in the engine somehow? Or is this a myth to sell more oil or oil changes?

I’m curious because VW stated that hypoid transmission oil didnt ever require changing—unless the weather called for a thinner oil (like if you lived in Alaska, Sweden, etc.).

Oil is oil. Why would engine oil break down over the period of a year, but not transmission oil?

Does anyone know of any facts on the matter?

Tim

Richard O'Brien

Last edited by Tim Donahoe on Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil breakdown with time? Reply with quote

It's not that it breaks down, it's that it get contaminated from the short trips and not getting hot enough to "burn" off the moisture and other contaminates.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil breakdown with time? Reply with quote

I change my oil once a year in the bug. It’s still clear when I change it even then. I would go longer if the bottom of the case didn’t rot out from moisture. That’s my only concern. When the magnesium rots out.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil breakdown with time? Reply with quote

As an example, I run synthetic Mobil Delvac 1 5w40 on my BW diesels. 10k intervals. The cars have over 200k. No oil usage or burning and no rot in the case. The older cases rot out with moisture more readily. (Oh, I used to do 10k a year no problem, sometimes double that, no more, and still no problem.) oil is so cheap for these cars that I just drain it once a year. Those rotted out cases make me sick just looking at hem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil breakdown with time? Reply with quote

a transmission is not an internal combustion engine so no by products of that is why the gear oil last longer.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil breakdown with time? Reply with quote

60, I understand that the engine provides combustion contaminants, as opposed to the transmission, but an engine driven as little as 1500 miles a year would seemingly not contain as many combustion by-products as compared to, say an engine that is driven, say 5000 miles a year.

Using that logic, I was just wondering why the oil would break down sooner, regardless of mileage.

Of course, short trips, especially in winter, would provide too much moisture inside the engine, and require frequent changes, regardless of mileage. But where I live in California, we get little to no rain for many months of the year. No humidity to speak of, and no moisture present whenever I change my oil; although, since I have a working thermostat system, my engine warms up quickly, and I rarely drive it without the oil getting to a nice temperature.

So, it seems moisture build up and combustion contaminants are the reasons for changing yearly, and the oil simply sitting in the motor has no correlation to oil breakdown.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil breakdown with time? Reply with quote

Honestly. You could go two years or 3k. Just my opinion. If it’s always getting to operating temp and it’s under 3k, I don’t see why not.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil breakdown with time? Reply with quote

Tim Donahoe wrote:
60, I understand that the engine provides combustion contaminants, as opposed to the transmission, but an engine driven as little as 1500 miles a year would seemingly not contain as many combustion by-products as compared to, say an engine that is driven, say 5000 miles a year.

Using that logic, I was just wondering why the oil would break down sooner, regardless of mileage.

Of course, short trips, especially in winter, would provide too much moisture inside the engine, and require frequent changes, regardless of mileage. But where I live in California, we get little to no rain for many months of the year. No humidity to speak of, and no moisture present whenever I change my oil; although, since I have a working thermostat system, my engine warms up quickly, and I rarely drive it without the oil getting to a nice temperature.

So, it seems moisture build up and combustion contaminants are the reasons for changing yearly, and the oil simply sitting in the motor has no correlation to oil breakdown.

Tim

Hey Tim. Everything above is true, plus there are acidic properties to some of the contaminants that are injected into the oil from the incomplete combustion of the hydrocarbons taking place and washing into the oil. Those acids (for the lack of scientific terminology) eat away at the metals within the engine, further breaking down the components. When that used motor oil sits, unstirred in the engine, it starts to decay the interior of the engine. Thats why the 3 months or 3000 miles is the VW golden rule. You should change your oil a minimum 4 times a year. If you drive it more than the minimum time limit, you then use the milage as the change point.

I look at oil changes as cheap insurance. They wash out contaminates that eat metal and degrad gaskets. That oil change is one of several tools to gain a long and healthy engine life. Tune ups, visual inspections and periodic cleaning contribute to that longivity as well!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil breakdown with time? Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
Honestly. You could go two years or 3k. Just my opinion. If it’s always getting to operating temp and it’s under 3k, I don’t see why not.

Hey Frodge. You may want to Google oil life in an internal combustion engine. Read several of the articles written by the manufacturers, regarding oil changes. Very enlightening to those that never had been given that information. I was sent to a GM class on the benefits of maintenance back in the 80s. Then Vavoline offered a few classes on the benefits of more frequent oil changes. My boss flew me out to Bowling Green, Kentucky for their courses. I think that was where it was at, because after wards I went to the Corvette museum!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
ricaroo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil breakdown with time? Reply with quote

Do you change the oil at the end of the season or the beginning?

I change it at the beginning of the season, every other year

Rick
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil breakdown with time? Reply with quote

I’m not disputing what you learned, and I will defer to you with these older carbureted engines. They also run richer than new cars and it gets into the crank case. Go onto something like the vw diesel forums, vw recommends 10k oci. No way folks are doing this 4x a year. My Tdi is 17 years old and it’s fine. I do agree that the older engines benefit from more frequent changes, but a lot of these cars, like my own sit idle in the winter because they’re considered classic cars. Not being a wise guy but so I flush my oil 2x in the winter when rarely used because of salt on the road? On the east coast folks don’t take their old classics out.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil breakdown with time? Reply with quote

Every three months, wheter it is sitting doing nothing or being used.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil breakdown with time? Reply with quote

I will also add that it’s kind of ironic that Valvoline gave the class on more frequent oil changes.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil breakdown with time? Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
I’m not disputing what you learned, and I will defer to you with these older carbureted engines. They also run richer than new cars and it gets into the crank case. Go onto something like the vw diesel forums, vw recommends 10k oci. No way folks are doing this 4x a year. My Tdi is 17 years old and it’s fine. I do agree that the older engines benefit from more frequent changes, but a lot of these cars, like my own sit idle in the winter because they’re considered classic cars. Not being a wise guy but so I flush my oil 2x in the winter when rarely used because of salt on the road? On the east coast folks don’t take their old classics out.

It is of no consequence to me what you choose to do. You are free to do whatever. I just thought that I would share the knowledge I was given (for money), during a class, to you for free. Do whatever you want to do.

Personally, I find oil easier and cheaper to change than engine bearings, so I live by the three month rule or 3000 miles on all my cars, even the synthetic ones. Thats me. The mileage I get out of our cars is awesome!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil breakdown with time? Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
I will also add that it’s kind of ironic that Valvoline gave the class on more frequent oil changes.

They pushed there product line, but reiterated the finding GM did through the 70s and 80s regarding wear and oil contamination. It was all good stuff to learn.

There is never a bad piece of knowledge. It is how you choose to digest and use it. That is always an individual choice. I begged the shop owner to send me to every class I could get to. I was not married at the time, no kids, single and partying. Send me anywhere, please!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil breakdown with time? Reply with quote

I said I agree with older carbureted engines to a degree. My golf Tdi has 240k on it and runs like new. 10k intervals, Mobil delvac 1 esp 5w40. No oil usage or burning. Cam looks brand new.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil breakdown with time? Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
I said I agree with older carbureted engines to a degree. My golf Tdi has 240k on it and runs like new. 10k intervals, Mobil delvac 1 esp 5w40. No oil usage or burning. Cam looks brand new.

Yes, synthetics are an awesome contributor to longer engine life! Better fuel management system, better iginition systems and better assembly quality have all added to this longer engine life. I am glad you take care of your car, keep it up!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil breakdown with time? Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Send me anywhere, please!

Hahaha!
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil breakdown with time? Reply with quote

Jimbo, your explanations make sense to me.

Thanks,

Tim

Richard O'Brien
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil breakdown with time? Reply with quote

I worked for Valvoline oil change during A&P school and the training we got there was that oil itself does not break down, which is why oil can be recycled and used again after processing. The official company training was that the oil additives - corrosion resistance, anti-wear, viscosity modifiers, etc - were the chemicals that broke down over time.
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: