Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine ID
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
middlerivermerk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Engine ID Reply with quote

I picked up two engines from a guy cheap and I am trying to I'd one of them. It is a dual port but has a non doghouse fan shroud. No engine number stamp and two oil fills. It is seized so I'm going to tear it down but I would like to know what it came out of if possible. Help appriciated.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine ID Reply with quote

Type3 case with type 1 intakes and shrouds. The oil filler with the breather is type 1 as well.

It's a franken engine.

Did the 30mm socket get thrown in, in the deal?

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine ID Reply with quote

If it's a Dual Oil Pressure Relief case it would likely also have the 3 holes for the Rear Mount into the later Type 3 or a 1968-71 Bus. And it would be a good engine to build for any bug as well. You can have a Type 1 style dip stick installed and block off the Type 3 dip stick port. Find a Doghouse Shroud, Fan, and oil cooler for it if increasing the performance or running it as a stock Dual Port. Make it a Pre-1971 Single Port if it's not a dual oil pressure relief case. Look at the cylinder studs and see if they are 8mm or 10mm and if they have been inserted as you will need to have that done if not.
Mine Before:

And After:

Last edited by Danwvw on Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
middlerivermerk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine ID Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Type3 case with type 1 intakes and shrouds. The oil filler with the breather is type 1 as well.

It's a franken engine.

Did the 30mm socket get thrown in, in the deal?

No the 30mm is mine lol
middlerivermerk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine ID Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. Also can you I'd this lever on the back, none of my other engines have this. Could it be for an auto? Similar to a lockdown?
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine ID Reply with quote

That case looks rough! Type 3 Bell Crank for dual carbs on a Type 3 not for a type 1.
middlerivermerk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine ID Reply with quote

Thanks danwvw

I tore it down to a long block in going to let it soak with penetrating oil for a week to see if I can get it to spin free. Next up f8r teardown and eval it the bus motor I have.
Danwvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine ID Reply with quote

Sometimes you have to hammer a little on the pistons to get the cylinders off but the rings frozen to the cylinder are the only place it should need penetrating oil.
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine ID Reply with quote

The cast iron distributor and early fuel pump suggest this is a 1964 1500S block.

The number (0, followed by six digits) is on top of the case. You can ID month and year in the technical section. There may not be a letter "R" present.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Engine ID Reply with quote

... one time, I rebuilt a 1500, but the old pistons were as-one with the cylinder walls and had to cut apart.

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: