Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

bug body dolly
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phat73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: bug body dolly Reply with quote

Good Morning. I was watching Dan Cycle on YB. He was doing a Karman Ghia.
He said he got a set of plans for a rolling body dolly here on TS.

Can anyone direct me to the post where I might find said plans?
Thanks
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: bug body dolly Reply with quote

There are a ton of threads on these in the beetle sections, ghia and body/paint sections. here is one
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=519255&highlight=dolly

Height can depend on if you want to roll the chassis underneath.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Phat73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: bug body dolly Reply with quote

Thanks very much for posting that link. Lots of good info.
Larry
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: bug body dolly Reply with quote

I’ll admit that I haven’t searched but has anyone ever come up with a partial dolly? I need to do some brake work on my dunebuggy and anticipate it will take more than one day. To give me more room I like having the car in the middle of the garage but would like to be able to move it back over to get my other car back in. Any suggestions? Might be useful for the front end as well.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: bug body dolly Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
I’ll admit that I haven’t searched but has anyone ever come up with a partial dolly? I need to do some brake work on my dunebuggy and anticipate it will take more than one day. To give me more room I like having the car in the middle of the garage but would like to be able to move it back over to get my other car back in. Any suggestions? Might be useful for the front end as well.

Here's what I did - It's a little different from what you need, since mine is a Super, and pretty much gutted right now. It might give you some ideas though.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: bug body dolly Reply with quote

Cool. Unfortunately I don’t weld, but wonder if just a very sturdy frame built with 2x2’s and just lower would work.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: bug body dolly Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
Cool. Unfortunately I don’t weld, but wonder if just a very sturdy frame built with 2x2’s and just lower would work.

Possibly, if it's overbuilt You'd still have the full weight of the car on the dolly (mine is only supporting the gutted shell.) Definitely use jack stands if you're not actively moving the car around.

Get good casters that'll support the load. Larger wheels will help keep them from getting caught up on expansion cracks, rocks, n stuff. The wheelbarrow tires I have in the back are a little sketchy, even with a gutted car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: bug body dolly Reply with quote

Chad1376 wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

Possibly, if it's overbuilt You'd still have the full weight of the car on the dolly (mine is only supporting the gutted shell.) Definitely use jack stands if you're not actively moving the car around.

Get good casters that'll support the load. Larger wheels will help keep them from getting caught up on expansion cracks, rocks, n stuff. The wheelbarrow tires I have in the back are a little sketchy, even with a gutted car.

Meant 4x4's, not 2x2'x lol.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: bug body dolly Reply with quote

body/pan removal - working solo

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Phat73
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: bug body dolly Reply with quote

Hey Chad I like your idea.. I think the wheel barrow pnuematics should work fine, but one could always use foam filler tires I suppose.

Thanks for stopping by.
Larry
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: