Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

No click at starter Now With Updates Still need help
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Brugge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:41 pm    Post subject: No click at starter Now With Updates Still need help Reply with quote

Had this bug for almost 4 years. The key I got with it was…faulty. When I got tired of the shake – jiggle - swear - repeat, I got a new key made and everything was fine. Every once in a while you turn the key and get nothing. No click no nada. This happens once every month and a half or so. Then it happens every few weeks, now it is every other day.

Put a new battery in it thinking the one that was in there was weak and running out of juice over time and becoming too weak to start it. New battery, new ends, new cables.

Up in the woods the other day and the starter starts cutting in and out while I am cranking it, like it is getting a circuit interrupted or something. So I figure it’s the ignition switch. This last winter it would sometimes stick over in the start position instead of snapping over to run when I let go of the key, and the same thing has been happening more often where you let go of the key and can hear the starter has not disengaged until you move the key.

I put a push button start in it and it works great … and then it doesn’t. I wired the button from the constant power side of the fuse box to the red and black wire for the ignition. There is a clear, yellowish 48 year old connector between where the wire runs out of the dash and before it dives in that tube. I just pulled the end out and mated it with my button.

Everytime I do something with this it works great … and then it doesn’t so I am at a loss. I have tightened up the solenoid wire end at the solenoid thinking it was getting crusty. That worked great…and then it doesn't. I can crawl under there at ay time and after a little contortionism get a wire from the hot lug on the starter to the solenoid and it kicks in right away.

The starter spins the engine right up maybe 99.99% of the time. Turn the key and off you go. Not sure what to check or where at this point.

From the tube that dives down at the reservoir for the brake fluid where does the wire go? Straight to the starter or somewhere else along the way?

Stupid thing runs sweet… and then it doesn’t Brick wall

1970 beetle 1679 dp motor, dual baby Webbers, usual spaghetti mess under the bonnet, but not a lot of hacking.

Please don’t post schematics, I can’t read them well enough to know what I am looking at. Thanks in advance Smile

Last edited by Bob Brugge on Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:24 am; edited 3 times in total
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: No click at starter Reply with quote

Sounds like the ignition portion of the key is failing. Very common issue. Very common. You need to change that out. Repair the wiring you changed and then it should work as intended.

The wire by the tube is the brake light switch wiring, if no one has changed or improvised anything.

The harness actually enters the cabin along the inside quarter panel area. Run down the heater channel on the drivers side and goes into the rear quarter panel, right in back of the regulator.

The starter wire crosses over the tunnel, clipped to the rear seat support bar and goes through a grommet between the battery and the tunnel. It then goes straight to the starter from there.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: No click at starter Reply with quote

I recommend you take the following actions:
    Using your ignition switch or the manual starter switch you installed, test the voltage that is reaching the starter solenoid. Either at the #50 solenoid terminal or at the #50 junction under the rear seat. You want to see 12.0v+ reaching the starter solenoid each time you turn the key/press the button. If the voltage is low or intermittent you can suspect the wiring. After all it is 40yrs+ old!

As a proactive action, using a wire brush and/or sandpaper clean ALL electrical contacts from the battery to the dash; to the ignition switch and to the starter. This will help increase the current that makes it to the starter solenoid. While you're at it, clean the battery cable connection at the starter as well.

Install a new ignition switch (or rebuild your old ignition switch). If your ignition switch was showing signs of going bad with the starter circuit, the other circuits like the #15 ignition are probably not too far behind. Better to replace the ignition switch NOW before it strands you on the side of the road.

Install a Hard Start Relay. This will reduce the distance the current travels on the way to the starter solenoid. The HSR will also protect your (new) ignition switch from excessive current; prolonging its life.

'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: No click at starter Reply with quote

I had an ignition switch issue, what I did to verify and eliminate the switch is wired switches in parallel to the ignition switch. It verified everything in the rear starter area was fine. Problem was the switch. It was coming apart, the little ears that are bent over to hold it together were loose. Snugged them up and the switch was fine after that.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: No click at starter Reply with quote

I've replaced the electrical part of the ignition switch on both my 1970 and my 1971 exactly once each in the 45 years I've owned them. But this was at least 20 years ago for each, before cost-savings programs and parts started being made "elsewhere"....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: No click at starter Reply with quote

Bob Brugge wrote:
From the tube that dives down at the reservoir for the brake fluid where does the wire go? Straight to the starter or somewhere else along the way?

VW_Jimbo wrote:
The wire by the tube is the brake light switch wiring, if no one has changed or improvised anything.

As VW_Jimbo pointed out you appear to be chasing the wrong wire. Though, I can understand... the brake light wires are black/red (black wire with red tracer/stripe). The starter solenoid wire is red/black (red wire with black tracer). Also, is some years VW used a solid red wire between the front and rear so the wire is only red/black for a short distance under the hood before it connects with a heavy gauge red wire that runs to the rear.

Here is a pristine pic of wiring under the hood (not your typical wiring job):
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The larger black harness on the right side of the pic is for the front lights and may contain the black/red brake light wire. The smaller black harness that disappears behind the heater tube and drops into the "well" in the corner of the trunk below the A-pillar is the main harness that runs between the front and rear of the car. Depending on the year, the wire in the bundle may be red or red/black. If you find two heavy gauge red wires in the bundle, trace both. One will lead to the red/black wire coming from the ignition switch. There is a junction in the trunk area. The other junction is under the rear seat just before the wire exits next to the center tunnel to reach the starter. Under the rear seat the wire is usually inside a grey or black sheath.
Bob Brugge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: No click at starter Reply with quote

ashman40 wrote:

As a proactive action, using a wire brush and/or sandpaper clean ALL electrical contacts from the battery to the dash; to the ignition switch and to the starter. This will help increase the current that makes it to the starter solenoid. While you're at it, clean the battery cable connection at the starter as well. [/list]

I only think I have a mess now. If I started doing all that it would be totally F-Dup before too long. I can take the wires off the terminals and clean shit and put it directly back on the same terminal and it will still be F-Dup somehow.
ashman40 wrote:

Install a Hard Start Relay. This will reduce the distance the current travels on the way to the starter solenoid. The HSR will also protect your (new) ignition switch from excessive current; prolonging its life.[/list]

How do I install, where, and how? Are we talking about a ford style ignition relay?

I can test my voltage, no problem. Right after I installed the starter button, it started just fine, so I am confident I got the right wire for the solenoid. What I don't understand is how after removing the start part of the ignition it can still be effecting what the starter button does.

I will start chasing wires and cleaning the best I can I also have to get my blinkers and left brake light to start functioning again, Might as well include them in this adventure as well.

Ever get that feeling of dread when you know there is no way out of something?
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: No click at starter Reply with quote

install the relay under the back seat
Not a Ford style solenoid but a simple square relay

instructions

Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bob Brugge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: No click at starter Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
install the relay under the back seat

instructions

Is that like a regular blinker relay? Can I use a blinker relay?
So I unplugged everything under the bonnet. Cleaned the crap out of it, both ends. Used 400 grit paper on the spade terminals and a wire brush on the other terminal...the female terminal? Started at the fuse block, went around the speedo, ended up at the wiper motor just to be super anal. Then went under the back seat, redid the battery terminals, cleaned all the connections on the voltage regulator and what ever the other thing under there is. Even went out back and cleaned the terminals on the coil, gen, and oil pressure sending unit, and guess what? still no start....
Later on when it cools off or maybe even in the morning i will crawl under there and do the terminals on the starter. My bet is it will work fine for a day, maybe two ... and then it wont.
I never did find a #50 junction under the back seat.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: No click at starter Reply with quote

Bob Brugge wrote:
60ragtop wrote:

Is that like a regular blinker relay? Can I use a blinker relay?

The above style relay is called an SPST (single-pole, single-throw; 4-prong) or SPDT (single-pole, double-throw; 5-prong) 12v relay. They originally were made by Bosch (I think?) so you sometimes see them listed as Bosch-style relays. They operate with as little as 6v and as much as 15v. Like most relays, their function is to use a small current to manage the flow of a larger current. The are rated by the amps they can flow and 30A is a common size, but they can also be found in 20A and 40A versions as well.
While the SPST relays allow the large current to flow while the relay is ON and stop the flow of current when the relay is turned OFF... the SPDT relays (which are more common and usually less expensive) have an extra circuit (5th prong; #87a) that allow current to flow down a different path while the relay is OFF. This means you can have current flowing from the source (#30) to a NC (normally closed) path (#87a) while the relay is OFF. Then when the relay is turned ON the current flows down a different path, the NO (normally open) path (#87). The SPDT relay can be used everywhere the SPST relay is used, you just don't wire the extra terminal (#87a). The above diagram does a good job showing how the HSR connects to the starter solenoid, but it doesn't show WHERE.

Bob Brugge wrote:
I never did find a #50 junction under the back seat.

The top of this pic shows the #50 wiring under the rear seat. It is the red wire with the yellowish connector. Part of the wire is covered in a grey (or sometimes black) sleeve. It exits near the center tunnel next to the steel brake line (silver tube at the left side of the pic).
The bottom half of the pic illustrates how you would wire the HSR in place of the junction, adding a few extra wires to get power from the battery and adding a ground wire for the control circuit. The #50 wire coming from the ignition switch plus the brown ground wire becomes the control to turn the relay ON/OFF. The #30 INPUT wire comes from the battery positive post. The #87 OUTPUT wire sends battery power directly to the starter solenoid while the relay is ON.

Bob Brugge wrote:
So I unplugged everything under the bonnet. Cleaned the crap out of it, both ends. Used 400 grit paper on the spade terminals and a wire brush on the other terminal...the female terminal? Started at the fuse block, went around the speedo, ended up at the wiper motor just to be super anal. Then went under the back seat, redid the battery terminals, cleaned all the connections on the voltage regulator and what ever the other thing under there is. Even went out back and cleaned the terminals on the coil, gen, and oil pressure sending unit, and guess what? still no start....
Later on when it cools off or maybe even in the morning i will crawl under there and do the terminals on the starter. My bet is it will work fine for a day, maybe two ... and then it wont.

Did you get a chance to test the voltage levels at different points to see how much voltage loss you are suffering?
    Start at the battery posts. A fully charged battery will read 12.6v at the posts.

Next test the voltage at the VR. The B+ terminal is where the VR and the two other heavy gauge red (#30) wires come together. Take a voltage reading here.

Next stop (in the '70 model year) is the headlight switch. Test the voltage at the #30 terminal of the headlight switch (there are three #30 terminals it doesn't really matter which you use).

From the headlight switch there are two #30 output wires. One runs to the fuse box. Test the voltage at the fuse box end of the red wire.
    The other wire runs from the headlight switch to the ignition switch. Crawl under the steering column and look up at the bottom of the ignition switch. You should see one heavy gauge red wire soldered to the switch. Test the point where it is soldered for voltage.

When you turn the key to the START position, the ignition switch will connect the #30 INPUT wire to the #50 red/black OUTPUT wire. Test the red/black soldered wire at the ignition switch for voltage WHILE you turn the key to START.

The other end of this red/black wire is the junction pictured above. Disconnect the two wires at the yellowish colored junction and test the end of the wire coming from the left side of the car. When the key is in the START position this wire should have voltage.

Lastly, reconnect the wires to the junction and you can crawl under the car and test the end of the wire that connects to the starter solenoid. Here is a pic of the connections at the starter solenoid. Disconnect the #50 wire and while someone turns the key to START get a voltage reading from the end of the wire.

Now that you have tested voltage from the battery and every point along the way until it reached the starter. You should have noticed a voltage drop. The voltage that makes it to the starter solenoid should be slightly lower than the voltage your read at the battery. If you have a new wiring harness and all new connections you could reasonably expect that the 12.6v you read at the battery would drop to maybe 12.4v at the starter. But with 40yr old wires and dirty connections you would probably be okay if you only read 12.0v at the starter (maybe even 11.5v!). But if you run the tests above and get a much lower reading you know the wiring is adding too much resistance. If there was very little voltage loss up to the ignition switch but a large voltage loss after the ignition switch you know the internal connections in the switch are degraded and adding too much resistance. So taking the voltage readings will give you a view on where in the wiring you have bad wires/connections.
If somewhere along the way the voltage is lost (0-volts) you have found your problem. Back track until you have voltage and troubleshoot to understand why voltage isn't making it to the next junction.
Bob Brugge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: No click at starter Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the detailed instructions.
Can I be reasonably assured that the issue isn't the starter itself?
I guess if I am getting 12 ish volts at the starter I would know the answer... Lemme break out the thing o meter and see just how bad I can screw this up Very Happy
Bob Brugge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: No click at starter Reply with quote

Up Date:
The solenoid wire, the very one that I tightened up the connection on, the very one that I had to argue with to get it on the spade, that one was laying on the trans Brick wall Brick wall Brick wall

I knew it was on good before and I know it is on good now. tighter than it used to be even.

EXPLETIVES deleted repeatedly.

Thanks so much for the input guys.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: No click at starter Reply with quote

I knocked off my starter wire adjusting the clutch cable on my 1970. I couldn't get it to stay on tight, I cut off the replacement terminal and crimped on a new one.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Bob Brugge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: No click at starter With BRAND NEW UPDATES Reply with quote

I love my car but I hate my wiring. I mean hate it bad.

So in my quest to make everything just freakin' work, I got around to my tail/brake/blinker lights. They have always been dicey and since I feel so confident sanding spade terminals until my fingers bleed, why not give it a whirl?
I got my tail lights to work. I have one brake light working, and thats where the fun stops.

I am hoping the red wire that runs to my left side turn signal is the correct one.
With my multi meter plugged into the circuit I am getting right around 3.5 volts and no flash. They used to work everywhere but the left rear corner and now they don't work anywhere, neither do the hazards.

I did find 5 wires for 4 circuits under the left tail light, which is just ...magical.

Tracing them off of the block that hides behind the tar board on the left side of the engine compartment, I have white for tail lights, black and red. They were running to the brake light and the turn signal. I have a light blue wire running from the fourth position on that block behind the tar board to the back up lights which don't work.

So first, do I have the right colors running to the right things?

Second, Since I have all new shiny ends on everything I could find and make shiny, where should I look and for what?

Third, in the white plastic sheath that runs the wires through the body and the fender, there is a 5th wire, could be white, where would that go?

Under the tar board I have a ground wire(brown anyway) that just has the female end of the spade terminal with nowhere to go, is that for some option I may not have, or did/does it go somewhere?

Let me know if you need pics.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: No click at starter With BRAND NEW UPDATES Reply with quote

Bob Brugge wrote:
I did find 5 wires for 4 circuits under the left tail light, which is just ...magical.

Tracing them off of the block that hides behind the tar board on the left side of the engine compartment, I have white for tail lights, black and red. They were running to the brake light and the turn signal. I have a light blue wire running from the fourth position on that block behind the tar board to the back up lights which don't work.

So first, do I have the right colors running to the right things?

Here is a Speedy Jim diagram showing the wiring to the taillights. It shows the harness wire colors and how they link to the solid wire colors of the taillight housing.

From your description it sounds like you have the brake and turn signal wires swapped?
The black/white wire for the left turn signals should connect to the black wire for the turn signal bulb.
The black/red wire for the brake lights should connect to the red brake light wire.

Bob Brugge wrote:
I am hoping the red wire that runs to my left side turn signal is the correct one.
With my multi meter plugged into the circuit I am getting right around 3.5 volts and no flash.

To confirm your taillight wiring... run a jumper wire from the #15 (+) terminal of the ignition coil to the wire for each of the taillight wires. Separate the wires from the junction and apply the coil wire as a power source to the wires that run to the taillight assembly one at a time. The top bulb in the assembly is the turn signal and should be the black wire. The brake light (brighter filament of middle dual-filament bulb) should turn on when you power the red wire. The parking light (dimmer filament of middle dual-filament) should turn ON when you power the grey wire. And the lower reverse light should turn ON when you power the blue wire. This simple test will verify if your taillight assembly is working and can be eliminated as a possible problem.

Bob Brugge wrote:
Third, in the white plastic sheath that runs the wires through the body and the fender, there is a 5th wire, could be white, where would that go?

It might be a diagnostic wire? Does your '70 have a diagnostic connector mounted on the firewall in the engine compartment?

Bob Brugge wrote:
Under the tar board I have a ground wire(brown anyway) that just has the female end of the spade terminal with nowhere to go, is that for some option I may not have, or did/does it go somewhere?

There should be a brown wire coming from the taillight assembly into the engine compartment. This is the ground wire for all the bulbs. If it is NOT connected they lights don't work. This could be the source of your problem. The ground wire should connect to a small tab on the body inside the engine compartment. See pic below:

The single wire from the taillights at the bottom of the pic is the ground wire connecting to the small ground tab welded to the flat area of the engine bay. It is not unusual to find that this ground tab has rusted away in the decades since the car left the factory. A sheet metal screw and eyelet connector added to the end of the wire can fix this common problem.
Bob Brugge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: No click at starter Now With Updates! Reply with quote

I hooked up the ground wire and sumbitch, I have brake and tail lights on BOTH sides!!

I still have no turn signals or hazards. When I was polishing all my ends under the dash the cheapie wire and connections that ran to the dash indicator light fell apart.
I could hear it clicking before that. All the blinkers worked before except the left rear. Where do I even start on this spaghetti? Everything quit working when I removed the rear apron, I supported the rear fenders so that they were not hanging by the wires, apparently not quite good enough? Checking behind the tar board on either side of the engine I get no juice to either side of the rear at the blinker circuit.

Edit: I started poking around under the bonnet, and discovered that I have power to one leg the flasher relay when the turn signal is on and power to another leg when it is turned off. I also noticed that the hazard switch is an integral part of the circuit. Oh, that and it is turned so that all of the connections are facing the glovebox, which has to be removed if I want to access those connections.
Bob Brugge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: No click at starter Now With Updates! Reply with quote

New update:
Chasing wires. I have a fat red wire running from my fuse panel to the 4 way switch. I have a fat white wire running from one leg of the flasher relay back to the 4 way flasher switch and a light blue wire running from the switch to a different leg of the flasher relay. I have two black wires one with a green stripe and one with a white stripe, they run to 4 way connectors with one leg going to each light, front and rear of a side of the car. the 4th leg runs back to the blinker switch at the steering column. There is no power anywhere here.

Thats as far as I have gotten. No blown fuses, nothing simple disconnected, that I can see. I also have three brown wires running from under there somewhere. One actually is a ground, there is a 2nd with a white stripe that you would think is ground, but goes to a silver box, maybe 1.25" x 2.75" with the vw logo and a 311 part number. The last brown wire runs to one of those see through connectors where it dives into the front wiring loom. Maybe for the horn?

Not even sure where to go from here.
Bob Brugge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: No click at starter Now With Updates! Reply with quote

Anyone?
SubbinNCali
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: No click at starter Now With Updates! Reply with quote

Can you post a pic?
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: No click at starter Now With Updates! Reply with quote

This simplified diagram from Speedy Jim's site will help you understand the wiring for the turn signal switch and the E-Flasher switch:

Key points to notice in the above diagram:
    - There are two sources (INPUT) for power (fuse #15 and #30) in the upper middle of the diagram. #15 is the fuse that powers the turn signals; #30 powers the 4-way E-Flashers. Both run to the E-Flasher switch. The E-Flasher switch being ON/OFF determines WHICH is the source of power is in use.

- Whichever power source is selected, the E-Flasher switch OUTPUTs via the white (+) wire to power the flasher relay via the #49 or (+) terminal on the flasher relay.

- The #49a terminal of the flasher relay is the "pulsing" OUTPUT. Even if there is 12v on the INPUT of the flasher relay it will not start pulsing until there is a path to ground thru the corner bulbs.

- Depending of the model year the wires coming off the flasher relay #49a terminal will be blue or black/green/white and run to the :
    -- Turn signal switch
    -- E-Flasher switch (#49a)
    -- Turn indicator lamp at the bottom of the speedo

- While the E-Flasher switch is OFF the bottom half of the switch in the diagram is disabled and does nothing.

- When the E-Flasher is ON, the pulsing power from the flasher relay coming IN on the #49a terminal is routed to the TWO OUTPUT terminals L and R where they will power all four corner bulbs.

- It is hard to see, but the L and R OUTPUT of the turn signal switch and the L and R OUTPUT of the E-Flasher switch come together at the 4-way junctions you described. All the wires for the L junction will be black/white. The wires for the R junction will be black/green. From each of the two junctions one wire runs to the front and one to the rear turn signal bulb on each side of the car.

- The E-Flasher switch powers BOTH the LEFT and RIGHT sides lights when ON

- The turn signal switch powers EITHER the LEFT or RIGHT side lights when ON

Bob Brugge wrote:
I have a fat red wire running from my fuse panel to the 4 way switch.... There is no power anywhere here.

The fat red wire connected to the #30 terminal of the E-Flasher switch should be coming from a fuse with constant 12v. If your '70 Beetle has a 10-fuse fusebox this red wire should be connected to OUTPUT side of fuse #9.

The black wire connected to the #15 terminal of the E-Flasher switch should come from a different fuse on the fusebox. It should be fuse #1 which is only powered while the ignition switch is ON.

Find the fusebox end of these two wires and test for 12v. If you have voltage on one end of the wire but no voltage on the other you need to find out why. Bad wire? Dirty connection?

You may also need to remove the fuses from their clips; wire brush or sandpaper the ends of the fuse as well as the clips that hold the fuse. Also check that the ends of the fuse have not burnt thru like this:

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: