Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bill Collins
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
1953Volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Bill Collins Reply with quote

I was wondering if any one knows if Bill Collins is still around. I believe he is from New Hampshire. Does he have a Samba ID ? Any help will be appreciated.
1962 DOUBLE CAB
1957 11G
1958 Single cab
1967 camper bus
1959 ragtop 2226460 (in Japan)
1964 Karmann Ghia
1964 Cadillac coupe De Ville (a.k.a. Husslah)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Bill Collins Reply with quote

Bill is living in AZ now I am told, although he still has his house (and cars and parts presumably) in NH, about an hour away from me. I ran into him at a German car show maybe 3-4 years ago and he invited my wife and I to take part in a VW/Porsche weekend event/cruise Maine the following April. We had a great time. I think he is still active in the Porsche 356 club(s) too. He never used e-mail much and I doubt he is reading the samba much if at all.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1953Volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Bill Collins Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
Bill is living in AZ now I am told, although he still has his house (and cars and parts presumably) in NH, about an hour away from me. I ran into him at a German car show maybe 3-4 years ago and he invited my wife and I to take part in a VW/Porsche weekend event/cruise Maine the following April. We had a great time. I think he is still active in the Porsche 356 club(s) too. He never used e-mail much and I doubt he is reading the samba much if at all.

Is there any way to get a hold of him. I met him at the VW classics many moons ago and him and his group of friends that was with him inspired me to restore my split I have now. I had just finished my 53 11G and stated he like how I built it even though it was Stock looking but with Porsche wheels and hypo engine. His Azure blue 51 is the cleanest and perfect restoration I have seen in the 30 plus years I have been in the VW hobby. I want my 50 to come out looking like his split.
1962 DOUBLE CAB
1957 11G
1958 Single cab
1967 camper bus
1964 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Bill Collins Reply with quote

... here's your '50 at the VVWCA meet, Englewood Cliffs, NJ in about 1978, when I had it... Bill knew the car Smile

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Bill Collins Reply with quote

I have no current contact info, sorry.....

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1953Volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Bill Collins Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
... here's your '50 at the VVWCA meet, Englewood Cliffs, NJ in about 1978, when I had it... Bill knew the car Smile

Hello, thanks for the info. You must be the guy to sell it to Bic Green? I have some questions if you don't mind regarding some unanswered questions about the 50. I can give you my phone number if that works easier. thanks
1962 DOUBLE CAB
1957 11G
1958 Single cab
1967 camper bus
1964 Karmann Ghia
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Bill Collins Reply with quote

... not much of a phone conversationalist...prefer emails or samba PM...

your 11G still have this radio? I bought it from Terry Shuler, back in 1979... the original slide was backwards, sorry.

1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

1953Volks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Bill Collins Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
... not much of a phone conversationalist...prefer emails or samba PM...

your 11G still have this radio? I bought it from Terry Shuler, back in 1979... the original slide was backwards, sorry.

No had the speedo changed out and no radio. Would you prefer me to e-mail or PM on the Samba?
1962 DOUBLE CAB
1957 11G
1958 Single cab
1967 camper bus
1964 Karmann Ghia
Terry Gaudet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Bill Collins Reply with quote

I can chime in on this subject. Bill and Connie sold their house in NH and moved to AZ last year. Bill kept his two 356 cars as well as his perfect 51 sunroof. I bought out all his massive VW and Porsche parts collection about a year ago. I even bought a 1935 old town canoe he owned for many years. They decided it was time to start slowing down. Though I suspect Bill is planning some sort of long road trip in the near future. One can never truly walk away from a long time passion.

1950 Beetle Standard
1955 Canadian Custom
1956 Kombi w/SO23 kit
1965 Kombi walkthrough
1965 Double Cab
Der Kafer Collins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Bill Collins Reply with quote

Thank you Terry! I heard your name a number of times from dad, he had a special place in his heart for people that loved VW's the way you do. Thank you for buying the parts, I hope you are supplying a new generation of VW enthusiasts with parts he spent years collecting. I know he'd love to hear a story about how you sold the parts and used the proceeds to rescue another old bug from extinction or how someone who bought the parts did the same.

Dad is still alive but I'm sad to say Alzheimer's is doing a number on him. As a result that road trip you mentioned won't ever come to fruition. The move to AZ lasted less than a year before he and Connie returned to New England. Things went downhill fast and at this time they are both in an assisted living facility. Our focus is making sure they are getting the best care we can get them. If anyone knows of an assisted living facility with a 6 car garage attached please let us know and we'll move them tomorrow.

I wish we could help answer VW questions the way he could but I'm afraid this insidious disease has stolen that from all of us.
Grant Reiling Premium Member
Samba Slow-Change Artist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Bill Collins Reply with quote

Quote:
Dad is still alive but I'm sad to say Alzheimer's is doing a number on him. As a result that road trip you mentioned won't ever come to fruition. The move to AZ lasted less than a year before he and Connie returned to New England. Things went downhill fast and at this time they are both in an assisted living facility. Our focus is making sure they are getting the best care we can get them. If anyone knows of an assisted living facility with a 6 car garage attached please let us know and we'll move them tomorrow.

I wish we could help answer VW questions the way he could but I'm afraid this insidious disease has stolen that from all of us.

Exclamation I am truly saddened to hear of this. Exclamation

I have fond memories of him conducting pass-in-reviews of the line of Vintage VWs at the Michigan Vintage VW Club Show in Michigan ~2002 when The DKF held its first (and only) National Meeting.
I had caravanned there with Howard Query, Jon Lane and a few others from MN/IA/WI and got to meet many members for the first time. Cool
That also coincided with the anniversary of the Karmann Ghia, and the opening of the Karmann Assembly plant there and IIRC a group also came from CA and got to be first to drive through it. Cool

He drove the red '49 Heb along with a bunch of DKF guys from New England.
Bill truly was the driving [pun intended] force behind the DKF organization. Exclamation
He and Connie were so generous with their time and all else...may they be blessed and well-cared for Arrow
Grant
What we imagine in our minds becomes our world. That’s just one of many things I have learned from water."
Misaru Emoto
The Hidden Messages in Water
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Bill Collins Reply with quote

I am sorry to hear about your parents. I have not spoken to them since last year. They are in good hands if you are taking care of them. Best wishes that things improve and that you do find an assisted living facility with a 6 car garage.

1950 Beetle Standard
1955 Canadian Custom
1956 Kombi w/SO23 kit
1965 Kombi walkthrough
1965 Double Cab
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Bill Collins Reply with quote

Terry Gaudet wrote:
I can chime in on this subject. Bill and Connie sold their house in NH and moved to AZ last year. Bill kept his two 356 cars as well as his perfect 51 sunroof. I bought out all his massive VW and Porsche parts collection about a year ago. I even bought a 1935 old town canoe he owned for many years. They decided it was time to start slowing down. Though I suspect Bill is planning some sort of long road trip in the near future. One can never truly walk away from a long time passion.

yikes, i'd sell my VWs, before I sold our 1905 Rushton Indian girl canoe - leaving it to our son...

1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

overrestored
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Bill Collins Reply with quote

Der Kafer Collins wrote:
Dad is still alive but I'm sad to say Alzheimer's is doing a number on him.

Sorry to hear this. Your pop is part of the fabric of the vintage VW scene. Even though we were on opposite coasts… I would run into him at all the serious events. I put over 30K miles on my old Beeskow because I knew he would tease me if I trailered it! I eventually convinced him to buy a 356 (a convertible D even!) because my wife and I had so much fun in our old D (now owned by Mike and Barbara Malamut… who continue to drive the hell out of it!) Until this setback… I would say Mike had a pretty good handle on living! He may not remember… but we of the vintage VW crew will all remember him.

Eric Meyer
One cool crazy cat
a yard full of fruit trees
26 chairs for some reason
a crapload of old shoes
a lot of books on history of the Mexican Ranchos
200+ kamax bolts... stacked in rows
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2021 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Bill Collins Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone has an update on Bill.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Bill Collins Reply with quote

I have reached out to his son with no reply. I have also emailed Bill directly and didn't hear back. I sure hope he and Connie are ok.

1950 Beetle Standard
1955 Canadian Custom
1956 Kombi w/SO23 kit
1965 Kombi walkthrough
1965 Double Cab
kaferdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Bill Collins Reply with quote

I last saw Bill in the fall of 2018.  I had gone to Maine to pick up a '54 beetle and stopped in to visit Bill and Connie at their new place.  Bill was just the same (although his hearing was getting worse) and he still enjoyed sharing stories about his old VW's, Porsches and travels. Connie was the same sweet, supportive woman I've always known. My wife and I sent out Christmas cards the last few years but never heard anything back and their phone number is no longer any good.
We pray that Bill & Connie are well and safe and enjoying their retirement years - they deserve it!

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Bill Collins Reply with quote

Where in Maine were they in 2018? I thought they had moved to AZ.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Bill Collins Reply with quote

John, if you read above post from Dec 10, 2019, Bill & Connie's son advised that AZ didn't last long. They were back on the east coast within a year due to health issues. Hope they are both ok.

1950 Beetle Standard
1955 Canadian Custom
1956 Kombi w/SO23 kit
1965 Kombi walkthrough
1965 Double Cab
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: