Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Some good stuff to have
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
gchristensen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Some good stuff to have Reply with quote

here is a link https://vwt25.blog/files/ some great things all Vanagon owners should have in their arsenal. Hope this stays active for a while.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Some good stuff to have Reply with quote

gchristensen wrote:
here is a link https://vwt25.blog/files/ some great things all Vanagon owners should have in their arsenal. Hope this stays active for a while.

Is the Bentley T3 manual shown available for free via download?

I would assume that the Bentley T3 manual is still protected by copyright.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
gchristensen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Some good stuff to have Reply with quote

yes it downloaded as did all other links. and yes there is a copyright on the manual which is why i said what i did about staying active
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Some good stuff to have Reply with quote

Well, unfortunately, even if this thread is locked, the, presumably, illegal downloads will continue until that site is deactivated.

I realize the T3 manual is about $90 USD new but I would suggest that folks looking for a manual, actually buy one. If we don't support the publisher, how do they stay in business and continue to offer such useful products in the future? And if a person can't afford a Bentley manual, how can they afford a Vanagon?

I have no vested interest in or with Bentley publishing nor am I affiliated with them in any way.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Some good stuff to have Reply with quote

What the uptake for an online version of the Bentley is left as an exercise for the publisher. How much would we pay for a good quality searchable/annotatable PDF version of this? The 90s called and want their outdated business model back…

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Some good stuff to have Reply with quote

That would be useful but AFAIK, anything can be hacked. Even a legit online version of that manual.

The real problem is the rate at which this type of thing can get replicated; the 'net is 24/7.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Some good stuff to have Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
What the uptake for an online version of the Bentley is left as an exercise for the publisher. How much would we pay for a good quality searchable/annotatable PDF version of this? The 90s called and want their outdated business model back…

A) http://bentleypublishers.com/volkswagen/repair-inf...ebahn.html

B) Just because a publisher does not make their products available in a format you want does not make it legal for you to then violate the copyright law and screw the publisher out of its return on investment (in addition to staff writers, Bentley had to pay VW, et. al. for the right to publish their wiring diagrams, illustrations, etc.).

C) Bentley takes copyright violations seriously (it's no different than AV bootlegging), going so far as to have a "report violation" option when emailing them.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Some good stuff to have Reply with quote

That manual is an .exe,,,, Windows ONLY.

Paulbeard wrote:
good quality searchable/annotatable PDF version of this?

FYI this PDF is searchable and annotatable (with Mac OS X preview).

Bentley should probably make their $109 manual a pdf, then everyone can use it even on your phone.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
jamesakers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Some good stuff to have Reply with quote

I agree with the points raised and have removed the link (I run the blog). Its not a document I've hosted on the site unlike the other manuals - just a pointer towards the Dropbox I was given.

I too have the physical copy of the manual and find it far easier to flip though, it's difficult in digital form when you've got over 1,000 pages. I'd recommend buying a copy.

(The PDF has been freely circulated for a while on a few Vanagon related Facebook groups so still out there if anyone wants it).
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Some good stuff to have Reply with quote

There are some great manuals on this site that I've never seen.

All in all worth the time to go to and read..... maybe even print to a hard copy.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Some good stuff to have Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:
Paulbeard wrote:

That's not a "a good quality searchable/annotatable PDF version." It's a windows application. The 90s are still holding with the same question…

sodo wrote:

Good news. I'll take a look in that case.

I think with many of these information products it makes sense to have both a physical and digital copy: it's a lot easy to search one of them and easier to carry the other around.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Some good stuff to have Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
kamzcab86 wrote:
Paulbeard wrote:

That's not a "a good quality searchable/annotatable PDF version." It's a windows application. The 90s are still holding with the same question…

sodo wrote:

Good news. I'll take a look in that case.

I think with many of these information products it makes sense to have both a physical and digital copy: it's a lot easy to search one of them and easier to carry the other around.

I've been fixing cars since the 1960's, both as an owner an as a professional.

While I may be biased because of age, a digital repair book is a royal PITA!
I've used both, paper trumps digital every time.

Carrying a Bentley is a minor sacrifice of space that pays huge dividends when and if it is ever needed.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Some good stuff to have Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
That's not a "a good quality searchable/annotatable PDF version." It's a windows application. The 90s are still holding with the same question.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing, merely pointing out that Bentley does have an electronic download version that they are protecting from easy bootlegging. Again, just because you (and others) bitch about the format (and pricetag) does not excuse copyright infringement, period.

BTW, Adobe Acrobat (aka PDF), debuted in 1993. So, regardless of your complaint, the '90s are still very much alive and in use. Wink
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Some good stuff to have Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:

B) Just because a publisher does not make their products available in a format you want does not make it legal for you to then violate the copyright law and screw the publisher out of its return on investment (in addition to staff writers, Bentley had to pay VW, et. al. for the right to publish their wiring diagrams, illustrations, etc.).

Glad to see that format and hope it staves off some of the illegal downloading. Making something like that convenient to buy online certainly helps in that regard. (this I know from having watched what happened to one aspect of my profession). I'm sure hard drives etc cost Bentley money but it might help them if they'd price it closer to that of the hard copy.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Some good stuff to have Reply with quote

Ive got 5 Alldata subscriptions and print the pages for a job to hard copy.

I’ve bought one Bentley for my BMW and gave it a score of 2/10

If you want to call yourself a reference manual instead of writing

“ remove starter bolts”

You have to write

“ remove 2 M10 x 15 hex bolts using long extensions and wobble working from rear of transmission”
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: