Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Might need my hand held with this one: Chevy 15x8 on '63 bug
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
subgraphic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:41 am    Post subject: Might need my hand held with this one: Chevy 15x8 on '63 bug Reply with quote

Hi all,

I would like to mount my '78 Trans Amy Turbo Fans on my '63 bug.
These wheels are 15x8" bolt pattern is 5x4.75" (120mm) and I "think" they are 4.5" backspacing.

Knowing there will be about a 1-1/8" width increase using adaptors, is there any world where they will play nicely under my fenders?

I see you can buy blank drums for the rear, but I cannot find blank drums for the front. Am I missing something? Can anyone recommend a course of action and a tire size?

thanks!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Might need my hand held with this one: Chevy 15x8 on '63 bug Reply with quote

Good for you for doing something different. Cool looking wheels too.
Are you looking to tuck these or just make them work? I'm running 17x7" with 4.5" backspace on a 6" narrowed beam. I'm tucked, but I rub on the inside and outside. Inside is because of the bump-outs from the trunk area. I don't think you have those on a '63, so you might be able to go narrower...if that's possible. It's going to be tough. There's an outfit in the Midwest that narrows aluminum wheels, but I'm not sure that would do you any good, if you can't get a beam narrower than 6". As far as drums go, I haven't looked, but I know you can get rotors drilled for Chevy/Ford.
subgraphic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Might need my hand held with this one: Chevy 15x8 on '63 bug Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, George!

I might just get my beam narrowed a few and run discs with chevy pattern drilled in.

I don't want to spark the well adjusted drum vs. disc brake discussion here, but does anyone know why blank front drums aren't available but discs are?

I'm not looking to tuck as my car isn't sitting particularly low and I'm shooting for a rally-ish theme so it would be sitting a bit higher anyway.

I certainly don't want them sticking 2" out of the fenders either...

fitment like this would be fine with me, although I'd want more meat on my tires:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Might need my hand held with this one: Chevy 15x8 on '63 bug Reply with quote

go the disc route.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Might need my hand held with this one: Chevy 15x8 on '63 bug Reply with quote

Look at what J-Bugs has
https://www.jbugs.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=SS...ersion+Kit
https://www.jbugs.com/product/22-2982.html
https://www.jbugs.com/product/98-5002-7.html
I'd convert to disc at least on the front.
I'd also stud these, I wouldn't use lug bolts.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: