Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The 'Ol 55
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The 'Ol 55 Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Progress is good, no matter how much! I try and get something done, each week. Be it a small item or a large one. Because once you stop, you stop.

It is one of the basic laws of motion. Newton's first law of motion - sometimes referred to as the law of inertia. An object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion with the same speed and in the same direction unless acted upon by an unbalanced force.

Got to love the basis rules of mother nature!

And there's always something, small or large looking to get done...watching progress here on other projects always gets me back in the shop....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The 'Ol 55 Reply with quote

I'm on to getting the rear end of this project straightened up to some acceptable shape. My current dilemma is establishing the correct position for the bumper mounts.
Car is level, front to back, side to side. With the bumper flanges mounted the body in the lowest position possible the bumper mounts are a little over a 1/4" out of level (right high, left low) and are a about a 1/2" low at the bumper end of the mount.
Anyone have any kind of idea of the stock rear bumper mount specs on a early 1955?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The 'Ol 55 Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Bolt the fender on. Then line up the bumper bracket, temporarily. Bolt on the bumper and install the grommets. You should get really close.

If you wait 4 weeks, I will be documenting that exact process.

Just did the process mentioned above and I think I've got everything close. I'm using a combo of the measurements in the chart and the ones you provided Jason, and I can get the bumper and matching (side to side) measurements all to line up to level at the bumper.
I'll be anxious to see what other dimensions Jimbo gets as he gets into his next installment. I've got to do the body mount on the right side next....
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: The 'Ol 55 Reply with quote

tehillah1 wrote:
VW_Jimbo wrote:
Bolt the fender on. Then line up the bumper bracket, temporarily. Bolt on the bumper and install the grommets. You should get really close.

If you wait 4 weeks, I will be documenting that exact process.

Just did the process mentioned above and I think I've got everything close. I'm using a combo of the measurements in the chart and the ones you provided Jason, and I can get the bumper and matching (side to side) measurements all to line up to level at the bumper.
I'll be anxious to see what other dimensions Jimbo gets as he gets into his next installment. I've got to do the body mount on the right side next....

Getting there, man. Work has picked up tremendously! Thats a good thing but it does limit the time I can spend on the Bug. Like today. Started on paperwork at 9am. Just finished! Thought I was going to go do something on the Bug - nope. Soon though!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2020 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: The 'Ol 55 Reply with quote

It is always worth the wait for experienced info...thanks for posting your knowledge, however time allows.
Rome
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The 'Ol 55 Reply with quote

Rear apron: Since you want to save your original, here's a tip: Patch the exhaust cutout holes using sections from a Beetle front fender edge. You can find a later fender (best to get a used German one for closest metal thickness) and use the gently curved metal at the front of the fender. It will have nearly the same bottom lip curve shape as the apron. Just make some paper templates of your exhaust cutout, and cut out the fender metal. 1 fender should be sufficient for making the 2 patches on your apron. You can probably find a German fender (>68 is fine) that is still OK in front but can be crunched in back, for cheap. An expert Beetle restorer/welder in CT told me that tip over 30 yrs ago.

The apron section between, and outboard of the exhaust cutouts has been bent down and rearward. Those 6 small holes are water drain holes (kicked up by rear tires) and would be normally pointed straight down to the ground instead of facing rearward on yours. To keep that radius along the apron bottom channel, you might be able to cut a 10" piece of 1/2" diameter metal pipe (wiring conduit?), clamp it right where the drain holes are using 2 longer-jaw vise grips, then bend the apron metal upwards so that it bends around the pipe. You can use shorter section of pipe, bend the apron maybe halfway, unclamp the pipe and reposition to an unbent section, and bend again. Repeat until the bent-up lip is mostly uniform. Don't bend one section up all at once, as this could tear the metal. Would be easiest to do the bending before you weld in those cutout patches, though the fender section patches would be a good guide as to the bottom edge/channel shape.

Edit: I might be mistaken about the shape of the bottom edge contour of the apron- instead of it curving up like a "J" or "U" like the front fender lower edge is, the apron might just bend forward and slightly upward... like a leaning "L". I just saw a shot of 67 Florida Deluxe's mint '56 Beetle (shown below) and that raised my doubts of my original description. I realize his '56 has factory-original exhaust cutouts in the apron, but you could probably find some shots of an unmangled '55-ish apron that shows the bend of the bottom channel.

Then again- maybe my original description was close after all. Here's a shot from sunroof who's redoing a '54 that did not have the exhaust cutouts. He's patching the left rear corner of the apron. You can see the original "J" curvature of the apron bottom channel beyond the patch cut.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The 'Ol 55 Reply with quote

How are the bumper brackets in the fender slots, left and right? I found that I need to use the 2 piece brackets. It sits over to much with the three piece.
jason
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: The 'Ol 55 Reply with quote

Look at the brace under the apron. It will tell you what was original or not. Earlier was shaped differently for strength.
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: The 'Ol 55 Reply with quote

Thanks for the info and pics of the aprons. I'll post up what I come up with on the repair to the cutouts and do some searching to try to get an idea on getting the apron squared away. I've tried to get an idea of the overall curve of the rear end with a stiff wire running from fender bottom to fender bottom for a start. I'll weld up the holes and then work to get the whole thing into shape.

Jason, the brackets I got are the 3 piece and they fit ok through the fender holes, a little tight on the outside but I've fit both sides with grommets and things line up ok.
I just got back from Omaha...moving my daughter to Phoenix. She just finished med school and is off to Mayo Clinic for residency. So next week will be the Colorado to Phoenix leg...I won't get back in the shop for a bit but I'll put up some pics of what I'll be working on.
Thanks for the feedback. Samba rocks.
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: The 'Ol 55 Reply with quote

jason wrote:
Look at the brace under the apron. It will tell you what was original or not. Earlier was shaped differently for strength.

What brace are you talking about Jason? I don't have anything like a brake on the back side of my apron. Do you mean the metal at the top that matches up to the breastplate tin on the motor?

The wire-line at the bottom of the cutouts is the approximate line of the bottom of the apron curvature, fender to fender. The six holes sit way above this so I'm thinking they were drilled by the po to do some pulling from previous damage. There are two holes below the wire that would make sense for drain and kind of line up in the lower angled up part of the apron.

tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: The 'Ol 55 Reply with quote

One repair at a time and sooner or later I'll be moving on to another phase. Got one of the aftermarket cutouts filled in the Apron. Once I get the second one done I can shape up this rear end to something resembling stock...best as I can ascertain. These repairs have given me a whole new level of respect for some of the work I've seen here on the Samba...
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2020 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The 'Ol 55 Reply with quote

Those 6 holes in the apron should be in the bottom of the fold. Those are drain holes. Looks like a lot of shaping is necessary. Popcorn
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: The 'Ol 55 Reply with quote

Anyone out there have a stock early 55 that could shoot some pics of the apron to fender lines? Maybe some dimensions from the bottom of the hood latch to the bottom of the apron? Jimbo has some pics of the apron he is working on (copied one here with a line for the dimension I'm looking for).
I'm trying to figure out how to establish where the line of the apron should be before I start bending things into place.

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: The 'Ol 55 Reply with quote

So sorry! I have no excuses, except for I forgot. Sorry.

Here you go!

Hope it helps! Let me know if you need anything else!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: The 'Ol 55 Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
So sorry! I have no excuses, except for I forgot. Sorry.

Here you go!
Hope it helps! Let me know if you need anything else!

Thanks for the measurements, Jimbo. This is way helpful to get me moving in the right direction.
I noticed in another photo you put up in the gallery that there is a piece of sheet metal behind the apron (engine side). Is this the brace that Jason mentioned?
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The 'Ol 55 Reply with quote

Another tidbit for you tehillah1. The '55 and older apron does not have the brace like the 56 and later 2 cutout aprons. That brace is reinforcement due to the cutouts. The early aprons rely on the continuous shape and the wrap underneath for strength and rigidity. Take a look at Wolfparts panel to see what I mean.
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The 'Ol 55 Reply with quote

Dan22 wrote:
Another tidbit for you tehillah1. The '55 and older apron does not have the brace like the 56 and later 2 cutout aprons. That brace is reinforcement due to the cutouts. The early aprons rely on the continuous shape and the wrap underneath for strength and rigidity. Take a look at Wolfparts panel to see what I mean.

Good to know Dan...answers a question I had since my apron is missing the brace. Reinforces the idea to patch up of the po cutout job to get things back to the way they were.
Thanks.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: The 'Ol 55 Reply with quote

Looks more like a heat shield to me but maybe it serves as a reinforcement piece. Or maybe....both. Guess we need a VW engineer to let us know the full extent of the piece.

Without further delay. I give you “the piece”...

That is a crack across the piece. I will be welding it back together in the future.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: The 'Ol 55 Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
Looks more like a heat shield to me but maybe it serves as a reinforcement piece. Or maybe....both. Guess we need a VW engineer to let us know the full extent of the piece.
Without further delay. I give you “the piece”...
That is a crack across the piece. I will be welding it back together in the future.

I will add these to my photo gallery hanging beside the bug where I've got some of your other photography on display for comparison as I'm patiently bumping this old apron back toward something that looks original. Is this the original apron from the '54 you are working on?
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: The 'Ol 55 Reply with quote

The inner reinforcement piece is not present on pre-1956 Beetles.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: