Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

6v Electric Fuel Pump
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Duuuuuuuuuude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: 6v Electric Fuel Pump Reply with quote

Does anyone have any experience with 6 volt electric fuel pumps?

I'm getting vapor lock in stop and go traffic but not when driving because... air cooled. Someone told me an electric fuel pump would fix it.

I found this guy online. It says 2.5-4psi.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/6-VOLT-FUEL-PUMP-LOW-PRES...2363481861

Will this work? Will it put a big draw on the 6 volt battery? What is the optimal fuel psi for a 1200 Beetle?
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v Electric Fuel Pump Reply with quote

Duuuuuuuuuude wrote:

I'm getting vapor lock in stop and go traffic but not when driving because... air cooled. Someone told me an electric fuel pump would fix it.

Will this work? Will it put a big draw on the 6 volt battery? What is the optimal fuel psi for a 1200 Beetle?

i have never had vapour lock in 40 years of buggin. even in Arizona heat. However a clogged fuel line, filter, tank mesh may give simular symptoms. I suggest you look at for the source of the problem, the problem is not one of having a stock pump.

Good luck, Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Karly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: 6v Electric Fuel Pump Reply with quote

As above poster I've never had that issue either and drive daily in summer... I have had issues with fuel pump just due to age (rebuilt and does fine now). Also floating debris from rust build up in tank! If the stock fuel pump had these issues they wouldn't have been functional dailies for many years - over time they can degrade but fortunately the pumps are able to be restored!
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: 6v Electric Fuel Pump Reply with quote

I installed a 6 volt electric pump on my bug after fighting fuel delivery problems for years. Had no problems running it on my 6 volt bug. I bought mine at the local Carquest store. If you go that route get a good fuel regulator and think about a safety relay.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: 6v Electric Fuel Pump Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
I installed a 6 volt electric pump on my bug after fighting fuel delivery problems for years. Had no problems running it on my 6 volt bug. I bought mine at the local Carquest store. If you go that route get a good fuel regulator and think about a safety relay.

I think we’re comparing apples and oranges though aren’t we? You had a dual carbed car and trying to dial in pressure etc. The OP is claiming vapor lock in a stock system and not extreme heat climate. We regularly have 90+ days with horrific humidity and I have never run into true vapor lock with my 64 with factory mechanical pump. VW designed these cars for wildly varying climates and millions were built without electric fuel pumps. I get the OP wanting to push the easy button and install “quick fix” parts, but wouldn’t it make more sense to figure out the reason for the problem? And if it’s a clogged line, filter or passageway it’s money down the drain.

Btw I’m not a stock Nazi, purist or anything else. I do advocate for fixing the problem not patching it when possible.

*Im also driving the above mentioned car...😂
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: 6v Electric Fuel Pump Reply with quote

You are assuming to much Laughing I installed an electric fuel pump in that bug way before I had the bigger motor Wink
I just got tired of chasing my fuel delivery problem, be it vapor lock, no fuel, low fuel etc. and had gone thru the whole system for years with no help so I said screw it and put in the electric pump and never looked back or regretted it.
Yes the OP should check everything first then decide what they want to do. Just stating my experiences with a 6 volt bug and an electric fuel pump.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: 6v Electric Fuel Pump Reply with quote

It's not vapor lock.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: 6v Electric Fuel Pump Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
You are assuming to much Laughing I installed an electric fuel pump in that bug way before I had the bigger motor Wink
I just got tired of chasing my fuel delivery problem, be it vapor lock, no fuel, low fuel etc. and had gone thru the whole system for years with no help so I said screw it and put in the electric pump and never looked back or regretted it.
Yes the OP should check everything first then decide what they want to do. Just stating my experiences with a 6 volt bug and an electric fuel pump.

Wouldn’t be the first time.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Duuuuuuuuuude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: 6v Electric Fuel Pump Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
Duuuuuuuuuude wrote:

i have never had vapour lock in 40 years of buggin. even in Arizona heat. However a clogged fuel line, filter, tank mesh may give simular symptoms. I suggest you look at for the source of the problem, the problem is not one of having a stock pump.

Good luck, Bug On!

I've already replace all of that as well as a new Brosol fuel pump, push rod and bakelite flange. Everything works fine as long as there's air flow. Once the car sits in traffic, I get bubbles in my fuel filter.

Last edited by Duuuuuuuuuude on Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Duuuuuuuuuude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: 6v Electric Fuel Pump Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:

Thanks for the reply. What should the PSI be? I've seen some some 6v electric fuel pumps rated 5-8psi and others 2.5-4psi.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: 6v Electric Fuel Pump Reply with quote

You want right about 3psi fuel pressure for your carb, so the 2.5-4psi unit would be the one you want.
Duuuuuuuuuude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: 6v Electric Fuel Pump Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
You want right about 3psi fuel pressure for your carb, so the 2.5-4psi unit would be the one you want.

Cool. So would I still need a voltage regulator?
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: 6v Electric Fuel Pump Reply with quote

Duuuuuuuuuude wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:
Duuuuuuuuuude wrote:

Good luck, Bug On!

I've already replace all of that as well as a new Brosol fuel pump, push rod and bakelite flange. Everything works fine as long as there's air flow. Once the car sits in traffic, I get bubbles in my fuel filter.

Maybe you have a motor overhearing issue then. My stock pumped Bugs also sit in traffic, in hot weather, and dont suffer from it. Maybe your pump is defective?

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v Electric Fuel Pump Reply with quote

What are the symptoms other than bubbles in the filter? Maybe the filter is the problem. The Bug stock did not have a filter you can see bubbles thru it. How is your head and oil temperature? Is your belt slipping, as there should be enough airflow to properly cool the motor even sitting in traffic.

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v Electric Fuel Pump Reply with quote

Duuuuuuuuuude wrote:
mukluk wrote:

If you want your charging system to work, yes. Wink

Check the pressure output of the pump with a gauge after you install it. If the pressure is 4psi or less I'd say no fuel pressure regulator is needed.
Duuuuuuuuuude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v Electric Fuel Pump Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Duuuuuuuuuude wrote:
mukluk wrote:

If you want your charging system to work, yes. Wink

Check the pressure output of the pump with a gauge after you install it. If the pressure is 4psi or less I'd say no fuel pressure regulator is needed.

My bad. I meant pressure regulator.
Duuuuuuuuuude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v Electric Fuel Pump Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
Duuuuuuuuuude wrote:
bluebus86 wrote:
Duuuuuuuuuude wrote:

Good luck, Bug On!

Maybe you have a motor overhearing issue then. My stock pumped Bugs also sit in traffic, in hot weather, and dont suffer from it. Maybe your pump is defective?

I do indeed have a screwy motor. We figured it out in another thread. Long story short, my late father purchased a GEX rebuilt. Nuff said. I'm not spending the money on a new engine. With the exception of running hot, it works fine.

We just adjusted the valves, timing, spark plug gaps, belt and points. It's a stale air engine, so we also removed the pre-heat tube and capped off where it connects to the heater box. That reduced the engine heat considerably and the engine now purrs like a kitten. But on 90º+ days like we've been having. it heats up when the car isn't moving.

I talked to another dub owner and he said he too was having hot engine troubles all week. And since plenty of VW owners use top and bottom deck lid standoffs, I know a hot engine isn't unique.

Last edited by Duuuuuuuuuude on Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Duuuuuuuuuude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v Electric Fuel Pump Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
What are the symptoms other than bubbles in the filter? Maybe the filter is the problem. The Bug stock did not have a filter you can see bubbles thru it. How is your head and oil temperature? Is your belt slipping, as there should be enough airflow to properly cool the motor even sitting in traffic.

So, to diagnose the problem, I temporarily replace the rear rubber fuel lines with Tygon fuel lines for small engines. I only did this as a test and have since installed proper fuel lines. The Tygon hose are clear/yellow so I could see where the air bubbles are coming from.

• No air bubbles coming from the front of the car through the chassis.
• No air bubbles appear after going through the firewall.
• In between the firewall and the fuel pump bubble appear in the middle of the fuel line as it passes over the heads and around the fan housing.

My conclusion is that the heat from either the heads or the engine block is heating up the line and boiling the fuel.

As I said in my OP, someone told me an electric fuel pump would correct this. I don't know if it's true or not but I'm willing to give it a shot. I $60 fuel pump is a cheaper option than a new engine.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v Electric Fuel Pump Reply with quote

I'd buy a cheap fuel pump elimination plate rather than a fancy one- that will save some coin. When you pull off your good mechanical fuel pump- save all the parts- especially the rod. If you install your new electric pump and your soft fuel line is still laying on the intake manifold- expect the same problem.

I agree with all the above posters who said switching to an electric pump is not the guaranteed fix. I've had old bugs and buses on the road year round since 1984 and despite similar problems- was never told an electrical pump is an answer.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Duuuuuuuuuude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 6v Electric Fuel Pump Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
I'd buy a cheap fuel pump elimination plate rather than a fancy one- that will save some coin. When you pull off your good mechanical fuel pump- save all the parts- especially the rod. If you install your new electric pump and your soft fuel line is still laying on the intake manifold- expect the same problem.

I agree with all the above posters who said switching to an electric pump is not the guaranteed fix. I've had old bugs and buses on the road year round since 1984 and despite similar problems- was never told an electrical pump is an answer.

Okay, thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: