Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Chrome Beetle Tail Lights
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Chrome Beetle Tail Lights Reply with quote

I have started on my parts search for my new Manx build and immediately got stuck. I am going for a classic build and I would like some '62-'67 beetle tail lights in CHROME. Anyone still making them? As far as I can tell the answer is no. If not, anyone sitting on a set they would part with? Or someone who could do a chrome set of OG lights?

Here is what I am looking for. So classic!:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Chrome Beetle Tail Lights Reply with quote

This'll get ya half way there . . . https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2126111
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Chrome Beetle Tail Lights Reply with quote

You may want to look into chrome like powder coating or even maybe a chrome wrap?

The real chrome's cost will floor you.
Glassy Guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Chrome Beetle Tail Lights Reply with quote

Hi. Flatlands Engineering in the UK has them. I'm not sure with the US Dollar to GBP exchange rate and shipping it would be cost effective. Looks to be around $245 plus shipping. I hope this helps.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Chrome Beetle Tail Lights Reply with quote

Glassy Guy wrote:
Hi. Flatlands Engineering in the UK has them. I'm not sure with the US Dollar to GBP exchange rate and shipping it would be cost effective. Looks to be around $245 plus shipping. I hope this helps.

Nice to know . . . I would not have guessed they are available new!
calebmelvin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Chrome Beetle Tail Lights Reply with quote

Glassy Guy wrote:

That is great! Thank you so much!!

Here is the link for anyone else looking: http://www.flatlandsengineering.co.uk/fle/fle_bgkp.htm
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BL3Manx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Chrome Beetle Tail Lights Reply with quote

What did your local chrome shops quote you?

http://www.mastercraftmetalplating.com/

http://www.queencityplating.com/

I just got a pair of 58-67 tail light shells and a 64-67 license light housing chromed for $120 for the set.

Just a tip if they're going on a buggy, remove the studs from the tail lights with a Dremel before they're chromed and mount them with longer bolts to reach through the thicker fiberglass body. Also replace the studs on the license light with longer ones.

Its pretty obvious but the better the condition of the shells(no rust), the better they'll turn out. If you start with a set of old chrome shells, the old chrome has to be stripped before they can be re-chromed. Find some clean painted ones

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: