Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tractor paint Magic Diamondhard Industrial Enamel
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Tractor paint Magic Diamondhard Industrial Enamel Reply with quote

I was painting some small stuff today w a new paint I found at our local Rural King store, Magic Diamondhard industrial acrylic enamel "for truck tractor and auto". Not many color options. http://www.majicpaints.com/products/farm/acrylic-diamondhard-industrial-enamel/ Seems pretty interesting and I hope to be a step up from the usual tractor paint alkyd enamel.

It's water-based and dries in one to three hours period. It reduces with water also. Also claims "great gloss retention durability and fast dry time without adding a catalyst".

Without adding a catalyst is what interested me. I was used to acrylic (even water-based) paint being used with a catalyst and wondered if it would be better with hardener despite claiming not to jeed it, so I contacted Magic directly.

Their technical support advised to not use the magic hardener as it was incompatible. Majic advised they did not have a compatible hardener.

Their Tech Guy claimed that the Diamondhard acrylic is of course harder than their normal tractor paint (oil based alkyd enamel) and comparable to the hardness of that the tractor paint with hardener added. He claimed however much faster dry time for the acrylic and much better UV resistance.

He claimed you CAN put it over old oil based alkyd enamel, so long as you prime with the acrylic primer first. He said the usual things, clean it well, sand it if the surface is poor to get satisfactory adhesion. In particular it doesn't stick well to chalky faded old paint. Sand that down.

I post this mostly bc I couldn't find the information about hardener with this product anywhere on the internet.

The tech department was here in Ohio and had a local phone number. Cost in Ohio was 20ish for a quart and 45ish for a gallon. That is higher (about twice) than the regular tractor paint but you do not have to buy a reducer and hardener, so not by much for the total cost. Also no mixing and wasted paint.

As I was stirring and I noticed that it was much less difficult to get the particulate in the bottom stirred. Actually I couldn't really feel any sediment though I had shaken the can upside down to rightside up for a significant time.

It covered well with the first coat. I'm not going to stand or try to get a nice finish so I will probably leave it at this. It's leveling nicely on its own. No runs. The c consistency was perfect for a brush, no doubt to thick to spray, wothout reducing (with water).

With the last bit of alkyd enamel tractor paint (also magic primer) I used, I never really felt good about how well I got it mixed up. I stirred until my arm cramped but they were still significant sediment in the bottom. I didn't have a drill motor stirrer unfortunately that day. It could have just been a bad can or one that sat too long, I don't know. It's the only one I've opened.

We will see how it goes. Anyone else ever use this or something comparable?

Are there better options? Ive used rattle cans on little bits in the past but hoped for something better.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Tractor paint Magic Diamondhard Industrial Enamel Reply with quote

Found about a dozen old gallon cans of SPATZ Satin Sheen Cylinder Enamel in our new garage. Looks like it is still available at Walmart/Amazon etc. It brushed on fine on a new steel shop door!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2023 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Tractor paint Magic Diamondhard Industrial Enamel Reply with quote

OK soo, 5years later, I'm interested in this for my own projects.
how well did it hold up?
was what you painted exposed to outdoor elements? UV?

thanks.

Dan in NY
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Tractor paint Magic Diamondhard Industrial Enamel Reply with quote

Mike Fisher wrote:
Found about a dozen old gallon cans of SPATZ Satin Sheen Cylinder Enamel in our new garage. Looks like it is still available at Walmart/Amazon etc. It brushed on fine on a new steel shop door!

SPATZ still looks good!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: