Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine extremely HOT
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
buffalovebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Engine extremely HOT Reply with quote

I recently had a new rebuild engine put into my 73 westy. I took it out for a test drive and then stoped in a park to look, listen, and feel the engine. First the exhaust coming out of the tail pipe is well pipping hot. The bumper is extremely hot. Funny thing is touching the engine was not hot to the touch but later after I was home and it had been sitting for about 20 minutes then it was extremely hot to the touch. The bus is an automatic and runs and drives fine. What are my options? Thank you
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine extremely HOT Reply with quote

mpmitri wrote:
I recently had a new rebuild engine put into my 73 westy. I took it out for a test drive and then stoped in a park to look, listen, and feel the engine. First the exhaust coming out of the tail pipe is well pipping hot. The bumper is extremely hot. Funny thing is touching the engine was not hot to the touch but later after I was home and it had been sitting for about 20 minutes then it was extremely hot to the touch. The bus is an automatic and runs and drives fine. What are my options? Thank you

Do you have any data, measurements or temps? You can buy a $25 laser temp gauge to accomplish getting some data.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
buffalovebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine extremely HOT Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
mpmitri wrote:

Do you have any data, measurements or temps? You can buy a $25 laser temp gauge to accomplish getting some data.

The battery in my laser temp guage is dead. I'll get that info tomorrow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine extremely HOT Reply with quote

mpmitri wrote:

The bumper will get hot without the factory heat shield.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=657522&highlight=exh%2A+heat+shield

The engine will get hotter after it sits. It is called heat soak.

Without temperature readings, it is hard to tell if it is actually overheating.

Make sure the timing is not more than 28* btdc at 3500 rpm. If it is too far advanced it can cause overheating.

Water boils at 212*F
buffalovebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine extremely HOT Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
mpmitri wrote:

The bumper will get hot without the factory heat shield.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=657522&highlight=exh%2A+heat+shield

The engine will get hotter after it sits. It is called heat soak.

Without temperature readings, it is hard to tell if it is actually overheating.

Make sure the timing is not more than 28* btdc at 3500 rpm. If it is too far advanced it can cause overheating.

Water boils at 212*F

I actually do have the factory heat shield. That is interesting about heat soak, I never knew that.
BUSBOSS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine extremely HOT Reply with quote

Seems you have had this same issue before (almost exactly two years ago):

mpmitri wrote:
Hello,
So my 1973 type 4 pancake engine Westfalia seems to be running hotter then ever. So hot that it would deliver a super bad burn just to touch the rear bumper for more then a second. My question is what could the possible causes be?

Thank you!

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=659066&highlight=[/url]
(sold - but not forgotten)
buffalovebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine extremely HOT Reply with quote

BUSBOSS wrote:

mpmitri wrote:
Hello,
So my 1973 type 4 pancake engine Westfalia seems to be running hotter then ever. So hot that it would deliver a super bad burn just to touch the rear bumper for more then a second. My question is what could the possible causes be?

Thank you!

Ha that's right!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine extremely HOT Reply with quote

Sprinkle some water on the block and see if it dances around, or just sits there and evaporates. You can not touch the exhaust near the heads on an engine after it has run more than a few seconds, within a minute or so you will burn your hand if you touch the tail pipe.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine extremely HOT Reply with quote

mpmitri wrote:
BUSBOSS wrote:

mpmitri wrote:
Hello,

Thank you!

Ha that's right!

Was this post before or after your rebuild?
The reason I ask is, if it overheated before and you rebuilt it and did not fix the overheating problem. It is going to ruin the engine.

The first place to start is a good tune up.
Tune up

Check the Thermostat and flaps.
Type 4 thermostat and flaps

Good luck
Tcash
sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Engine extremely HOT Reply with quote

Yes exhaust will be hot.

Yes the engine gets hot. It has fire inside.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Engine extremely HOT Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
Yes exhaust will be hot.

I think you can help answer this one...from the T3 Forum

Quote:
How does one know they have a fire in their engine while driving?

sjbartnik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Engine extremely HOT Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

I think you can help answer this one...from the T3 Forum

Quote:
How does one know they have a fire in their engine while driving?

It's running? Laughing
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Engine extremely HOT Reply with quote

It always kills me when people post about how hot an exhaust, dipstick or engine is. No kidding. Why are you touching this? Very Happy
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
buffalovebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine extremely HOT Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
mpmitri wrote:
BUSBOSS wrote:

mpmitri wrote:
Hello,

Thank you!

Ha that's right!

Was this post before or after your rebuild?
The reason I ask is, if it overheated before and you rebuilt it and did not fix the overheating problem. It is going to ruin the engine.

The first place to start is a good tune up.
Tune up

Before and after. Thank you!

Check the Thermostat and flaps.
Type 4 thermostat and flaps

Good luck
Tcash
buffalovebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine extremely HOT Reply with quote

Globespotter wrote:
It always kills me when people post about how hot an exhaust, dipstick or engine is. No kidding. Why are you touching this? Very Happy

Actually, no not really.
buffalovebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine extremely HOT Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
mpmitri wrote:

So I got the laser temp gauge working and here is what I have. I admit I am no expert so I am just looking for thoughts.

Baseline temps cold sitting in 72 degree shade was engine 78 degrees, exhaust pipe 80, and bumper 78.

After driving it 30 minutes engine 113 degrees, exhaust pipe 330, and bumper 185.

Again, I know I'm a dummy but any thought would be appreciated. Thank you!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine extremely HOT Reply with quote

mpmitri wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
mpmitri wrote:

So I got the laser temp gauge working and here is what I have. I admit I am no expert so I am just looking for thoughts.

Baseline temps cold sitting in 72 degree shade was engine 78 degrees, exhaust pipe 80, and bumper 78.

After driving it 30 minutes engine 113 degrees, exhaust pipe 330, and bumper 185.

Shoot the top center of the engine case and that will give you a good idea of what your oil temperatures are. I am guessing you shot the bottom of the pickup screen cover which is the coldest place on the block and not reflective of actual oil temps. Your exhaust temp is low if anything and the bumper pretty normal depending on your exhaust and shielding.
buffalovebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine extremely HOT Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
mpmitri wrote:
wcfvw69 wrote:
mpmitri wrote:

Shoot the top center of the engine case and that will give you a good idea of what your oil temperatures are. I am guessing you shot the bottom of the pickup screen cover which is the coldest place on the block and not reflective of actual oil temps. Your exhaust temp is low if anything and the bumper pretty normal depending on your exhaust and shielding.

Thank you! good to know...I actually did shoot the top so thats good I am assuming. Thank you again!
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine extremely HOT Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Sprinkle some water on the block and see if it dances around, or just sits there and evaporates. You can not touch the exhaust near the heads on an engine after it has run more than a few seconds, within a minute or so you will burn your hand if you touch the tail pipe.

IF it does the Samba , smile.

If you have two Busses, it might do the Tango.
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine extremely HOT Reply with quote

sjbartnik wrote:
Yes exhaust will be hot.

I held back from this same comment when I first read the post. Thousands of explosions every minute tend to produce heat.... Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: