Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine extremely HOT
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
buffalovebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Engine extremely HOT Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
sjbartnik wrote:
Yes exhaust will be hot.

Yes the engine gets hot. It has fire inside.
I held back from this same comment when I first read the post. Thousands of explosions every minute tend to produce heat.... Cool

‘at a boy!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Engine extremely HOT Reply with quote

mpmitri wrote:

After driving it 30 minutes engine 113 degrees, exhaust pipe 330, and bumper 185.

A block temperature of only 113 degrees would be very low for an engine that had run for 30 minutes. Way too low to give good engine life, your is stuck in a perpetual "cold start" mode with can greatly shorten engine life. You want your oil to be above 160°F as soon as possible after start up so that it doesn't collect water. Pretty much 212°F is ideal oil temperature, plenty hot enough to boil off water and other contaminates and not hot enough to cause degradation of the oil.

Do you have a thermostat and working flaps? You should, VW put them there for a reason.
malcolm2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Engine extremely HOT Reply with quote

mpmitri wrote:
I am just looking for thoughts.

Baseline temps cold sitting in 72 degree shade was engine 78 degrees, exhaust pipe 80, and bumper 78.

After driving it 30 minutes engine 113 degrees, exhaust pipe 330, and bumper 185.

Again, I know I'm a dummy but any thought would be appreciated. Thank you!

All those 30-minute-running temps seem correct. Think about it. The head temp under the spark plug is normal at 350*F. So if the exhaust is 330*F you the CHT might be perfect. Wait, I just realized you might mean the TAIL PIPE.

I would check each exhaust port as close as you can get to the head while it is running.
xyzzy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Engine extremely HOT Reply with quote

maybe the laser temp is reading celsius here... 113 in celsius would be 235 fahrenheit which is a much more reasonable temperature for the top of the engine... 330 would be 626 fahrenheit which is more reasonable for the exhaust...no?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Engine extremely HOT Reply with quote

xyzzy wrote:
maybe the laser temp is reading celsius here... 113 in celsius would be 235 fahrenheit which is a much more reasonable temperature for the top of the engine... 330 would be 626 fahrenheit which is more reasonable for the exhaust...no?

Could be, he might also have read the temperature of the Type 4 fan shroud and block. FWIW I just read the temperatures on my Type 1 powered Thing after a couple mile down hill run in second gear. The temperature of the block below the oil pressure switch was 120°F and the muffler was 165°F.
buffalovebus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Engine extremely HOT Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
xyzzy wrote:

Could be, he might also have read the temperature of the Type 4 fan shroud and block. FWIW I just read the temperatures on my Type 1 powered Thing after a couple mile down hill run in second gear. The temperature of the block below the oil pressure switch was 120°F and the muffler was 165°F.

Definitely Fahrenheit . And shot it on the block above the shroud.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CarlosZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: Engine extremely HOT Reply with quote

How’s your oil?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: