Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Skid Plates
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raymondo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:06 am    Post subject: Skid Plates Reply with quote

Recently fitted a skid plate i bought from limebug to my 67 beetle.

I have had to use the original bolts as the ones supplied are too long.

I did contact them to ask about the problem. They said they would look into it but i haven't heard anything since i got in contact a couple of months ago.

They did say i could either pack out the bolts supplied with washers which is not ideal or i could use the originals.

I'm wondering if the original bolts will be safe to drive around on with the plate fitted? or if there are slightly longer than standard bolts available.

Cheers
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Skid Plates Reply with quote

Welcome to The Samba!

Do y'all not have hardware stores with nut & bolt selections?
If what you've got ain't workin & your supplier ain't making good on it, you don't have much choice other than to do it yourself.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Skid Plates Reply with quote

Put a nut on the long bolt & grind it down shorter with a 4.5" angle grinder. Taper the end a little with your 1/8" thick 4.5" wide grinding/cutting disc. The nut should come off pretty easily to clean up the thread. I buy just what I want new from Eugene Fastener that has every conceivable bolt/nut in stock or they will order them for you out of their Dorman etc catalogs! Our local Ace Hardware is well stocked too!
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Skid Plates Reply with quote

I have found that suppliers do not back some of their own products when they are not a standard application... for me, it was installing an engine mount on a bay-bus... standard bay bus engines had threaded holes in them to mount the engine and for the replacement type one engine, those threaded holes were not there and one had to use an adapter... incorrect bolts and no instructions came with the package.
Never encountered your problem, but it sounds similar to me.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chad1376
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Skid Plates Reply with quote

I had to look up the skid plate to understand the issue - it uses the lower front beam bolts.

Yes, they make longer beam bolts, for use with caster shims. My guess is they supplied these longer bolts in anticipation that many buyers also run caster shims.

The only way to know for sure if the stock length will work is to measure the thread engagement. You'll want the bolt threaded in at least the same distance as the bolt diameter (1.5x would be better.)

Barring that, use washers, or cut the longer bolts down to fit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Skid Plates Reply with quote

Chad1376 wrote:
I had to look up the skid plate to understand the issue - it uses the lower front beam bolts.

Yes, they make longer beam bolts, for use with caster shims. My guess is they supplied these longer bolts in anticipation that many buyers also run caster shims.

The only way to know for sure if the stock length will work is to measure the thread engagement. You'll want the bolt threaded in at least the same distance as the bolt diameter (1.5x would be better.)

Barring that, use washers, or cut the longer bolts down to fit.

I once had a VW publication called, VWs in severe conditions or something like that and it was how to equip your (mostly type 2) VW in places like the sandy desert, in the jungle where one had to drive-through (ford) rivers and etc... there was a chapter on where to place and how to fabricate skid plates... they were mostly welded on.
I made all my friends a copy of it... was really cool - like snorkel intakes for river conditions...
I once bought a 1987 S-10 with 4x4 and it had skid plates option - the best part was the S -10 could not fight it's way out of a paper bag... removed them and still have 'm around here...the one I removed blocked the oil drain plug.
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Skid Plates Reply with quote

ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
.. was really cool - like snorkel intakes for river conditions...

Somehow I doubt they took into account some of the other weaknesses, like the generator belt slinging water on/into the distributor or the Archimedes screw pumping water into the block.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Skid Plates Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
ZENVWDRIVER wrote:
.. was really cool - like snorkel intakes for river conditions...

Somehow I doubt they took into account some of the other weaknesses, like the generator belt slinging water on/into the distributor or the Archimedes screw pumping water into the block.

... I no longer have the publication. I sold it, last year and I really don't know how your concerns were addressed, but I bet they were, in some fashion...
1960 single cab
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2

hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Skid Plates Reply with quote

You might just replace a stock bolt with a new long one and see if it bottoms out.

It might not and there you have your solution.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: