Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

High CHTs
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: High CHTs Reply with quote

samwise wrote:
Could hold my hand on the fan shroud for 4-5 seconds before it got uncomfortably hot.

You got a baseline, now crank your oven up and find out what temp that 4-5 seconds is?
Laughing
Tcash
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: High CHTs Reply with quote

Or you can use the Grilling Temperatures method.
http://onyourgrill.com/grilling-temperatures/
Laughing
Tcash

You need to figure out why you are lean, I would guess 90% of the time, it is a vacuum leak, 80% of the time it is the TSII.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: High CHTs Reply with quote

You could back pin one of the injector connectors and jump the cvs driving the mixture rich. Test drive it and see where you are at.
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: High CHTs Reply with quote

Yes SlowLane Aircare is dead. Liberal govt pandering to the masses. Did not work. They were defeated in last election. I will rethink the LC-2.

Tcash, I used my infrared thermometer to check heat ar various locations. We really need some data on the mixture. At one point I found some data from CARB on my bus. It spent most of its life in your area. It was one of the last 79's into the port of San Fran.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: High CHTs Reply with quote

can't tune one of these without an air to fuel meter. I can say that most seem to get around 18 - 19 MPG when in tune at 50 - 60 mpg flat and level. Anything higher in mileage is leaner and runs hotter.
pittwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: High CHTs Reply with quote

Yup. Thats about right for mileage. Maybe a bit more under ideal circumstances but that is rare. Winter mileage can drop about 2 mpg if I use the BN4 a lot.
guitarman63mm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: High CHTs Reply with quote

On a day with high ambient temps, low 400s in 4th is perfectly possible. Why not gear down to 3rd and see where you land? Going 50 in 3rd vs. 4th will easily drop CHTs by 25 degrees.

Yes, your motor will be humming at 3800-4200 rpm depending on your tires, but as was said before - you really ought to never be giving it more than 50-75% throttle for cruising, any more and you're just cooking it.

Of course, check all of the items mentioned previously (timing, vacuum, etc.) - but consider downshifting more.

- 1974 Safaré Custom Camper. 091 trans + Dual Weber 34 ICTs + Pertronix SVDA + 1.7L 914 T4 engine.
samwise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: High CHTs Reply with quote

Life gets in the way - family obligations, young kids, root canal, etc etc. Still hoping to get onto this at some point.

Missing under tin for driver's side:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Passenger side is there, missing some bolts

Part # for a 1979 California model?

Looking at the parts fiche, left lower are either 043 119 351B or 021 119 355B, but there's lots of warm air channels shown on the fiche, so am I missing other things too?

Click for bigger
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: