Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Baddest exhaust for 2.0?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
CarlosZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Baddest exhaust for 2.0? Reply with quote

I've a GD 2.0 with 40 IDFs, web73 and an empi muffler that is falling apart. I personally like a dual in dual out look but haven't found anything. What is the baddest (best) exhaust one can get? Don't really care for stock sound, need some noise to please the butt dyno. Thanks for any advice.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Baddest exhaust for 2.0? Reply with quote

I've heard good things about this. And the negatives is, its loud.

http://shop.vintagespeed.com.tw/s.nl/sc.12/category.8/.f

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Baddest exhaust for 2.0? Reply with quote

Personally, I think the vintage speed sounds great!
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Liveonjg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Baddest exhaust for 2.0? Reply with quote

When I saw the title of the post I thought you might also want to know the goodest. Once I read it I saw with the empi, you found the ugliest.

77 FI 2L Westfalia - Ripple
77 FI 2L Westfalia - Althea
62 Dual Carb Single Cab - Lou
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Baddest exhaust for 2.0? Reply with quote

so you really want the meanest and baddest? Click the link and see what you can't afford because you forgot to add the work "at a bargain price... and keep my heater too":

https://www.csp-shop.com/en/brand-shops/csp-products/exhaust-system/complete-exhaust-system/bus/

Liveonjg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Baddest exhaust for 2.0? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
so you really want the meanest and baddest? Click the link and see what you can't afford because you forgot to add the work "at a bargain price... and keep my heater too":

https://www.csp-shop.com/en/brand-shops/csp-products/exhaust-system/complete-exhaust-system/bus/

HOT!!!, but a little spendy.

77 FI 2L Westfalia - Ripple
77 FI 2L Westfalia - Althea
62 Dual Carb Single Cab - Lou
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Baddest exhaust for 2.0? Reply with quote

What kind of heaterboxes are you using?
CarlosZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: Baddest exhaust for 2.0? Reply with quote

I don't have any heater boxes. From what I've been told I'm running stock heater boxes that have the outer material melted off. They look like basic headers at this point. Can't tell what they're actually from or if what I've been told is correct. It also came with a crappy empi exhaust that's coming apart.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Python exhaust looks nice, but looks like it'll get in the way of valve adjustment and I don't like the single muffler to the side look.

I like the look of the VS 155-208-035SF. Is there any performance difference between a single muffler like the vintage speed (that negates the collector/header that is between the muffler and the heater boxes) and an exhaust similar to the Python that has headers after the trapezoid flanges? Not sure if my exhaust lingo is correct. Does anyone know where VS is made (hope not Taiwan/China)and what the difference between a CJ and CU header is and if there will be any noticeable performance difference between those and stock?

Money isn't an issue as I'm not looking to cheap out on the exhaust. What I don't want to do is fork out good money for something that looks nice while having nominal performance gain. I don't want to put Chinese crap on my bus either.

Thanks again
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Baddest exhaust for 2.0? Reply with quote

The Vintage Speed is made in Taiwan by a small VW shop. It's high quality, heavy and beautifully welded. FYI Taiwan and China made are very different things. Most of my best hand tools are made in Taiwan, they have one of the most advanced manufacturing economies in the world focusing on small and medium sized business, they are democratic, and have a highly educated and well-paid population. Worlds apart from China.

I have the single-exhaust one because I asked them, and they said it was little quieter than the dual-exhaust.

I don't think anybody has done side-by-side dyno testing but my impression is that the header style (which you have) is probably slightly more "powerful". The Vintage Speed will be more powerful than the stock, but maybe slightly less than the header type. We're not talking huge percentages, and much of the gains probably at RPM ranges rarely seen on a bus.

The Vintage Speed has a nice rumbly exhaust note. I've had several people ask me if I had an engine conversion, since it doesn't quite sound like a typical VW. It's louder than stock, but not IMHO overly loud. It will last a long time being stainless.

If you're looking for "the best", "price no object", then probably the Python header style is the best, no compromise on performance and no compromise on longevity. It will be pretty loud and the valve access is an issue but I've heard not that big of an issue. If you are running a stock engine I suspect however that the "performance gains" will be pretty minimal since there's just not that much gains to be had with the stock cam. If you are running a hotter cam, maybe bigger valves then letting it breath will open up the potential.
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Baddest exhaust for 2.0? Reply with quote

Forgot to mention that you can get a stainless empi to replace the one you have. I've actually heard pretty good things about it.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13-3771
airkooledchris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Baddest exhaust for 2.0? Reply with quote

WhirledTraveller wrote:
Forgot to mention that you can get a stainless empi to replace the one you have. I've actually heard pretty good things about it.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13-3771

I have ran the old non-stainless EMPI setup before and now run the Vintage Speed unit.

NO question on the quality of the unit nor their customer service, totally top notch.

I do however feel that a true collector like the EMPI does make the engine a bit happier in how it performs. The VS unit looks a million times better though, so im keeping it for now. I would consider doing the stainless EMPI if I was in your position. It's a lot cheaper.
CarlosZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Baddest exhaust for 2.0? Reply with quote

I'm leaning towards one of two Vintage Speed models. I liked the dual tip until I heard one on YouTube making a whistling sound that I didn't like. I also heard the single tip and it sounded really nice. Mind you the single tip had the equal length headers. Not sure if there's a difference between the two cans. Which of the two do you think looks better on a bus?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Baddest exhaust for 2.0? Reply with quote

Twin tip
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
WhirledTraveller
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: Baddest exhaust for 2.0? Reply with quote

My experience is with the single tip "sport" not either of those. But I suspect you will find the "superflow" exhaust to be louder and that the hidden tailpipe location is not ideal. In a bus you want the bus to exhaust as close to the side as possible. Exhaust exiting to the rear will get sucked back into the bus at speed.
cliveawn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Baddest exhaust for 2.0? Reply with quote

Im using the CSP Python exhaust,not loud and great quality.
only downside is the price....

Green 78 Westfalia Helsinki,

2056 with 41 x 34 valves,ported heads
Fully balanced
8,5:1CR
JPM Custom made cam
JPM 7075 dual taper pushrods
IDF 40's with 28mm venturi's
Python CSP 42mm exhaust.
115 HP

Daily driver 2017 Volvo V60 D5 hybrid
Rica stage 2 tune 345hp.

''Funny thing about common sense is that its not very common''

Seismic gun mechanic
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Baddest exhaust for 2.0? Reply with quote

You may want to contact Tangerine racing and see if they have one of the exhaust set ups that Jake and them designed. If you don't run a hitch then this may be a very good solution for you. He may be willing to bend up another one.
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Baddest exhaust for 2.0? Reply with quote

I am running the new EMPI SS exhaust w/ 72-74 HE's and its really nice. Low rumble sound but not too loud inside going on the freeway. Definitely helps power wise with my CS engine. I got it for $229 not at Cip1.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Baddest exhaust for 2.0? Reply with quote

Scroll down this page of Notchboys thread. You’ll find a video he took of driving his ‘77 uphill with the twin tip VS.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=419653&start=400
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
CarlosZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Baddest exhaust for 2.0? Reply with quote

I'm at a fork in the road here. I didn't want a nice looking exhaust with nominal performance gain, but then there's the empi ss. I really don't want empi again but it seems to be the better option performance wise. Feels like a shotgun wedding. Crying or Very sad

I'm still liking the VS with the hidden tip look, but told the bus will suck up the exhaust. Maybe if I drive faster it'll be ok? Rolling Eyes Such a difficult decision. Trying to pull the trigger today to take advantage of a Halloween special. Thanks for any and all advice.

Carlos
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Baddest exhaust for 2.0? Reply with quote

So is this stainless steel T-bird header copy offered by VW Heritage.....the same part as the EMPI ss header?
https://www.vwheritage.com/bay-bus/bay-bus-1968-79...p=151&

Ray
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: