Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Best inexpensive starter
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanagonjon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Best inexpensive starter Reply with quote

I don't remember what the brand of the Asian starter was. It looked real nice when new though. I may just have had good luck with my Bosch starters and they may be old enough, even the rebuilds, to be made before cost was the overwhelming consideration for car parts.

I just replaced the fuel filter on my new to me Beetle TDI and the installed OE VW fuel filter said made in China right on it. I replaced it with a Mahle made in Austria. It made me feel better.

I guess we have been conditioned to expect everything to be so inexpensive, to actually have the selling cost less than the raw material alone cost in USA that we won't pay for quality as a whole.

I just sold a Bosch rebuilt distributor to someone local. I bought it on Rock Auto, last year, it was one of their one only deals you find occasionally. It was proudly marked 'REMANUFACTURED IN GERMANY'. I have not seen another for sale, it was drop dead beautiful, like rebuilt parts used to be.

John
9.5isCanadian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Best inexpensive starter Reply with quote

With all this love for original starters.

First person to pm me with a willingness to pay shipping can have my recently removed original.

Remember, though, I took it out for a reason.
Wink

1987 Getaway Hightop
1980 Sunroof Vanagon
2018 BMW R Nine T
2012 Golf tdi
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Best inexpensive starter Reply with quote

I am saying that if you have a good original starter, try to keep it because it may last for as long as you own the van. The one in my van now has a Bosch remanufactured sticker on it and it is at least 12 years old (on the rebuild). There is a story about one of the original Sambas where it was sitting in a field for many years and the original starter was taken to a Bosch rebuild facility and was able to be reused.

Original used good condition Bosch starters may be the best inexpensive starter in my opinion.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Best inexpensive starter Reply with quote

So I should have kept this?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I think it was original…

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagonjon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Best inexpensive starter Reply with quote

How does it run ? It may be the best, it may be the worst, who can tell by looking. You can take it to Autozone and get it tested for free. A starter is only a powerful motor, and a solenoid coil that switches power on/off for that motor and it also may push the gear into engagement. That's all it is, only a few moving parts, but it draws an enormous amount of current when working.

The Bosch starter is very well designed, and will last for a very long time. Just give it some care and respect and it will give decades of service. Just like the Vanagon it rides around in.

John
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Best inexpensive starter Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
So I should have kept this?

Maybe.

Sometimes, you can get some extra life out of a starter by inspecting the parts (e.g. brushes) cleaning up the armature copper, clean and lube the bushings. I bet a Haynes manual would have insights in those regards.

For me, I use the braided copper wire as a measure. If its failing, replace the starter or have it rebuilt. That wire carries the Amps to the motor.

Neil.

This starter came off my '88. Arrow points to wire I refer to. At first glance it looked "ok" but .....

further inspection of that wire. Yes I disturbed the wire which hastened its' demise but I would question how well it was conducting, undisturbed.

this shows where that wire goes inside the starter. You can see that the wire had worn much like a beaver chewed tree trunk and how critical the quality of connection needs to be inside the starter. i.e. for some DIY types, I'd think replacing that wire would be risky.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
vanagonjon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Best inexpensive starter Reply with quote

I agree, I have had that wire fail on starters also. It seems that many times getting even a good brand name rebuild is a crap shoot. Some fluid film blasted on the exposed conductor each year will keep it from oxidizing hopefully.
westyventures
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Best inexpensive starter Reply with quote

During this discussion, please keep in mind why I originally came up with this solution: to provide a more powerful, faster-cranking starter for the hard to start, high-compression, and/or larger engines many have converted to. The stock starter fails miserably in that respect, no matter how well it is 'rebuilt'.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Best inexpensive starter Reply with quote

westyventures wrote:
During this discussion, please keep in mind why I originally came up with this solution: to provide a more powerful, faster-cranking starter for the hard to start, high-compression, and/or larger engines many have converted to. The stock starter fails miserably in that respect, no matter how well it is 'rebuilt'.

Which is why I went with yours instead of gambling on a rebuild of questionable provenance. I was probably already pushing my OG starter past its capabilities with the ABA motor. A TDI starter made more sense. Still the best mod I have done.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Best inexpensive starter Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:

That was the starter from the Titanic - right?
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Best inexpensive starter Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
Vanagon Nut wrote:

That was the starter from the Titanic - right?

LOL. Yes. A complex system of rope and pulleys, were deployed for fitment and use.

I think the van spent some time in Alberta so salty roads I think....

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
vanagonjon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Best inexpensive starter Reply with quote

As far as I can see the original post just said a '91 automatic, nothing about any upgraded engine, did I miss something?

John
sanchius Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Best inexpensive starter Reply with quote

LachlanMcLean wrote:
There aren’t any rebuilders within a reasonable distance from me. Besides, I already got the hookup from Karl. Cool Thanks, man!

These guys are awesome: Vanatta Auto Electric, 1981 8th St, Boulder, CO 80302 (303) 443-5775
LachlanMcLean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Best inexpensive starter Reply with quote

sanchius wrote:
LachlanMcLean wrote:
There aren’t any rebuilders within a reasonable distance from me. Besides, I already got the hookup from Karl. Cool Thanks, man!

These guys are awesome: Vanatta Auto Electric, 1981 8th St, Boulder, CO 80302 (303) 443-5775

I need to update my profile- we live in the Adirondacks of northern New York state now. Laughing
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Best inexpensive starter Reply with quote

We’ve got some good electric shops in Albany area, and I’ve got a cabin in Lewis county if you need to Milgram it

Very Happy
LachlanMcLean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Best inexpensive starter Reply with quote

I put my shiny adapter and gear reduction starter on our Big Blue Mule last weekend. Took slightly less time to swap old for new than it did to write that sentence. I wish everything was that easy. Anyway, thanks to all for the suggestions, especially Westy Ventures. Great product.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: