Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

steering flex disc
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: steering flex disc Reply with quote

anyone know the proper size bolts (and grade bolt)for the steering column flex disc? 1962 vw dune buggy..thanx I got black disc not the red.i have heard the red r junk.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: steering flex disc Reply with quote

8mm grade 9.9 or 5/16 grade 5 will be fine. The rubber coupler would be long gone by the time you encounters forces strong enough to sheer either bolt

brad
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: steering flex disc Reply with quote

slalombuggy ,thank you will pick them up tomorrow.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: steering flex disc Reply with quote

Got my rag joint out of a Super Beatle at a salvage yard back around 1990; along with all 4 bolts, which had German locking nuts. Lock nuts today have a nylon ring at outer end. That's what came on my new tie rod ends. Things as crucial as steering components probably need to have lock nuts.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: steering flex disc Reply with quote

Something you should look at. Many times on a buggy or if a car has had camber adjusters installed the steering box angle is wrong. What happens is that the flex disc is stressed too much. What I do is try to get the T fittings as parallel as possible by rotating the steering box. You may need to enlarge the notch in the clamp, if it has the indicator pins on the beam.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: steering flex disc Reply with quote

andk5591 ,thanks for the info.will be installing today I will dble check everything
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: steering flex disc Reply with quote

MrGoodtunes ,thanks for the info.i was wondering about that.wasnt sure if I should use lock washers or what,to prevent it from coming apart.i don't want to screw around when it comes to this I value my children and my life.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: steering flex disc Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
. . . get the T fittings as parallel as possible by rotating the steering box. You may need to enlarge the notch in the clamp, if it has the indicator pins on the beam.

Great tip! Wink
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: steering flex disc Reply with quote

Did not mention that you SHOULD double check the toe if you move the steering box. It may impact it.

And I use lock nuts for steering couplers.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: steering flex disc Reply with quote

ok will do thank u.adjusted the toe once already.if I have to do it again not a big deal.
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: steering flex disc Reply with quote

can anyone tell me the bolt size for the top of my front beam.the two bolt holes sticking up that I am supposed to put front body mounts(z shapedmetal brackets) on,so the front end doesn't bounce around.they r the 2 big threaded holes on top towards the middle of the beam.
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: steering flex disc Reply with quote

I think they are 10x1.5

brad
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: steering flex disc Reply with quote

thanks ill give it a try,worst case i got extra bolts that will get used on something Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: