Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Where is your fuel filter ?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Where is your fuel filter ?
1) I don't need one.
2%
 2%  [ 2 ]
2) Under the gas tank.
28%
 28%  [ 24 ]
3) Next to the transmission.
42%
 42%  [ 36 ]
4) In the engine bay between the fuel pump and carburetor.
18%
 18%  [ 16 ]
5) In the engine bay before the fuel pump.
8%
 8%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 85

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is your fuel filter ? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Moderator says:
Since it seems like this person wanted to do a poll, let's stick with voting and voting comments and not get into another war over where a filter should be or if you need one since that is well covered in multiple threads.

Thank you.

I have 2 VWs so don't know how to respond to the poll, which I assume allows one vote.

For my 1970, the all-metal fuel filter is in the trunk, in a box, not used; 1600cc engine.

For my 1971, the all-metal fuel filter is in the engine compartment, between the fuel pump and the Weber carb, 1835cc. It is supported securely, and away from the distributor.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is your fuel filter ? Reply with quote

didget69 wrote:
sb001 wrote:
Mine is hanging off the carb inlet, right where it belongs.
I voted #4, because I have independent thought and am not an automaton. Also, I've owned my car since brand new. It's an awesome feeling to know right where it's been its entire life.

Hmm... not as delivered from Factory. Our '69 Autostick Beetle, bought new by my parents from local dealer then given to me in 1981, never had an additional fuel filter in the engine bay.

bnc

I finally found the internet's true purpose! Popcorn

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is your fuel filter ? Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
I voted #4, because I have independent thought and am not an automaton. Also, I've owned my car since brand new. It's an awesome feeling to know right where it's been its entire life.

Hmm... not as delivered from Factory. Our '69 Autostick Beetle, bought new by my parents from local dealer then given to me in 1981, never had an additional fuel filter in the engine bay.

bnc
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:20 am    Post subject: Re: Where is your fuel filter ? Reply with quote

Only the copper screen in the tank and the filter in the fuel valve with removable base and this for 65 years.

Regards.
Mazda 929 Hardtop 1977
Mercedes SLC 180 Roadster 2018
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is your fuel filter ? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:

A 49 y.o. fuel filter? Shocked
I think it's time for a new one! Very Happy
Just sayin.

Well TBH I think I swapped it out once back around 1987

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is your fuel filter ? Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:

A 49 y.o. fuel filter? Shocked
I think it's time for a new one! Very Happy
Just sayin.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is your fuel filter ? Reply with quote

Looking at poll numbers seems under the car is most popular. The only drawback to that is you have to make an effort to inspect it. I really like the holder I might pony up the 40 bucks and call it a birthday present 😀
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is your fuel filter ? Reply with quote

Not the inlet pulling out, the fabled fuel filter being in the engine compartment, inlet pulling out is from lack of care when fuel line was removed for service or replacement the movement of the brass inlet was not detected. I have seen inlets come out without the fuel filter being in that location.

Keep in mind that millions, tens of millions of vehicles were built by other car manufacturers that spent decades on the road with a fuel filter not only in the engine compartment but placed on top of the intake manifold.

Proper maintenance, quality parts and careful installation. Also giving the inlet a rap & tap goes a long way for peace of mind and it will stay in with or without a fuel filter dangling.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is your fuel filter ? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Moderator says:
Since it seems like this person wanted to do a poll, let's stick with voting and voting comments and not get into another war over where a filter should be or if you need one since that is well covered in multiple threads.

Thank you.

Reminder of the above.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is your fuel filter ? Reply with quote

busman78 wrote:
Currently under the tank right before the electric fuel pump for I do not use the screen in the tank. In years past I have put them between the line exit on the frame horn to the engine compartment with no dragging or ill effects to the fuel pump for most models had metal tabs to hold the fuel line. Never desired one in the engine compartment between the pump and the carb, not for inlets pulling out or fabled safety reasons, to me that area of the engine is already clutteredd with solenoids (later models), coil, pump, distributor, accelerator cable, spark plug wires and just generally too much stuff, too easy to have out of sight out of mind.

The key to any location, none are really wrong, original screens or aftermarket cans, the proper hose with proper clamps and positioned so it can not be easily damaged.

Too simple for two pages of why's.

I don’t think it’s fabled. The weight and motor vibrations loosens the pressed in brass fittings.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
busman78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is your fuel filter ? Reply with quote

Currently under the tank right before the electric fuel pump for I do not use the screen in the tank. In years past I have put them between the line exit on the frame horn to the engine compartment with no dragging or ill effects to the fuel pump for most models had metal tabs to hold the fuel line. Never desired one in the engine compartment between the pump and the carb, not for inlets pulling out or fabled safety reasons, to me that area of the engine is already cluttered with solenoids (later models), coil, pump, distributor, accelerator cable, spark plug wires and just generally too much stuff, too easy to have out of sight out of mind.

The key to any location, none are really wrong, original screens or aftermarket cans, the proper hose with proper clamps and positioned so it can not be easily damaged.

Too simple for two pages of why's.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is your fuel filter ? Reply with quote

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is your fuel filter ? Reply with quote

Can’t hurt to have it there. Although my Chevy Rochester 4bbl quadrajets only had the inline filter on the carb where the fuel line fitting was. They would get stopped up once in a while, like every 10 years. I think a filter is a good option. I remember coming over the Verrazano bridge once and the fuel supply would just totally cut out until I cleaned that little filter out. It was similar to the one in the pierburg pumps. Not fun, and I took real good care of that car.
vwkirb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is your fuel filter ? Reply with quote

They are a bandaid for a dirty tank, but theres contamination all along the way until it gets in the tank too.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is your fuel filter ? Reply with quote

Been mounting the filter alongside the tranny for well over 20 years now no problems noted. Before that up in the engine bay like everyone else. Curious thing I bought a new tank, installed all new hose and a brosol sealed non rebuildable pump w/ no filter and the fuel has been clean. Maybe all these filters are a bandaid for a dirty tank. The absence of a disposable filter cluttering up my engine bay promotes proper feng shui. I am at peace
vwkirb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is your fuel filter ? Reply with quote

Frodge wrote:
FullFender wrote:
Got one before and after the fuel pump under the tank, no issues. A local friend had his single cab split burn down on the side of the highway Saturday Sad Crying or Very sad from what is presumed as a fuel line wiggling off in
the engine bay

The carb inlet?

Tim, I relocated my filter the week I bought my bug in 2005. No issues at all. It doesn’t belong hanging off the carb inlet. I actually just caught a loose carb inlet in my carb 2 summers ago when changing the lines. I slit them and cut them off too. I had Tim at volksbitz thread an inlet in for me.

IDF/HPMX carbs have a fine screen at the inlet.
Frodge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is your fuel filter ? Reply with quote

FullFender wrote:
Got one before and after the fuel pump under the tank, no issues. A local friend had his single cab split burn down on the side of the highway Saturday Sad Crying or Very sad from what is presumed as a fuel line wiggling off in
the engine bay

The carb inlet?

Tim, I relocated my filter the week I bought my bug in 2005. No issues at all. It doesn’t belong hanging off the carb inlet. I actually just caught a loose carb inlet in my carb 2 summers ago when changing the lines. I slit them and cut them off too. I had Tim at volksbitz thread an inlet in for me.
vwkirb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is your fuel filter ? Reply with quote

Under the tank, beside the trans, and the integral filters in the carb inlets.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is your fuel filter ? Reply with quote

Q-Dog wrote:
My filter is in the fuel pump. Wink plus the screen in the tank.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

same here- two factory filters seams enough. If I'm working with a serviced tank I'll put a temporary one in line under the tank and remove it as soon as gas is clean- or before SB001 has a total meltdown hissyfit over it's location. Wink

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Where is your fuel filter ? Reply with quote

My filter is in the fuel pump. Wink plus the screen in the tank.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

(but on my buggy I run one next to the trans because there is no screen in the tank)

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: