Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1963 "field find". The " matador " from maricopa CA.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1963 "field find". The " matador " from maricopa CA. Reply with quote

Are you planning on top coating the POR 15? Since it's on the pan it won't be as big of a problem but it isn't UV stable & will get chalky.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Dkwautounion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1963 "field find". The " matador " from maricopa CA. Reply with quote

I wasn't planning on it, but how chalky are we talking ?
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1963 "field find". The " matador " from maricopa CA. Reply with quote

Like a dirty chalkboard. The great part about that shit is the fact that it's tough as hell, the bad part is that it's tough as hell. Not much sticks to it unless you scuff it & you'll wear yourself out trying to do that.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Dkwautounion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1963 "field find". The " matador " from maricopa CA. Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

duplicolor cast coat aluminum and clear coat. spent the entire day day with a pressure washer and and oven cleaner. didn't work for 40 year old baked on grease. get a small chisel and hammer and turn up the music . new gaskets on the trannay and painted the axle tubes and backing plates black. re did he rear bearing seals and new rear brakes
Dkwautounion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1963 "field find". The " matador " from maricopa CA. Reply with quote

tranny in and new rubber.

pandraggers single bag beam painted with duplicolor engine enamel .

Gurn Blanston
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1963 "field find". The " matador " from maricopa CA. Reply with quote

Looks almost ready for Pebble Beach...
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1963 "field find". The " matador " from maricopa CA. Reply with quote

Curious as to why you offset the axle boots in different directions?
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1963 "field find". The " matador " from maricopa CA. Reply with quote

Mark Evans wrote:
Curious as to why you offset the axle boots in different directions?

Looks like he sort of overthinks those like I used to do (I have IRS now).

The seams should be at about 3 or 9 o'clock, so that the seam doesn't get stressed by the extremes of axle movement.

Now, as to why not both forward or rearward with the seams? Well, if you want the same side of the wavy flaps that seal with those screws, then you would do it as he did... otherwise one is "upside down", at least relative to the other.

And as to why 10 & 2, not 9 & 3, I suppose if the seam were to leak, this way it's a little above the centerline, and less likely to drip oil out, since it's above the "high tide line."

I bet he also will take the tip to shove the small end in about 1/4" or so before tightening the small end clamps; this also gives a little extra stress relief.

At least, that's my thinking... Wink
Dkwautounion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1963 "field find". The " matador " from maricopa CA. Reply with quote

I like the nut to be on the bottom side , weather its 10 or 2 I dont care to much . and yes I will shove it in a little lol.
Dkwautounion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1963 "field find". The " matador " from maricopa CA. Reply with quote

more progress. wire wheels, acetone, duplicolor.

Dkwautounion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1963 "field find". The " matador " from maricopa CA. Reply with quote

been working on the car a ton still. body on. picked up a dual port 1600 and some dual baby dellortos. i drove it around the block for the first time and boy does it feel good.

kabob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: My 1963 "field find". The " matador " from maricopa CA. Reply with quote

Dkwautounion wrote:
more progress. wire wheels, acetone, duplicolor.

is the lower bar in the beam soiled or a spring pack?
Dkwautounion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1963 "field find". The " matador " from maricopa CA. Reply with quote

all the glass is in. I also installed the one piece "easy" headliner , which came out like crap. I'm gonna pay someone to redo it with the multi piece one , in cloth. drove the car around the block which felt like a huge accomplishment. all new fuel lines.

TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: My 1963 "field find". The " matador " from maricopa CA. Reply with quote

A very fine “Merry Christmas” to ones self. Very Happy

Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1963 "field find". The " matador " from maricopa CA. Reply with quote

Dkwautounion wrote:
all the glass is in. I also installed the one piece "easy" headliner , which came out like crap. I'm gonna pay someone to redo it with the multi piece one , in cloth. drove the car around the block which felt like a huge accomplishment. all new fuel lines.

Don't feel bad, I've heard of all the how-to videos too, I'll just pay for it also.
thechief86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: My 1963 "field find". The " matador " from maricopa CA. Reply with quote

Just how crappy are we talkin?
I need to do the headliner in my car as well, but nobody within 100 miles will do it for me. I'd just like to get an idea of how bad it's gonna look when I do it, haha.
Would love to see some photos of it, don't be ashamed, lol.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: My 1963 "field find". The " matador " from maricopa CA. Reply with quote

The biggest problem with installing a headliner is the fact that after working so hard on the rest of the car & it's mechanicals, your hands will be transferring the oil that has saturated your hands when you're pulling, stretching, & holding a white piece of vinyl. Evil or Very Mad

Bryan67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: My 1963 "field find". The " matador " from maricopa CA. Reply with quote

TDCTDI wrote:
The biggest problem with installing a headliner is the fact that after working so hard on the rest of the car & it's mechanicals, your hands will be transferring the oil that has saturated your hands when you're pulling, stretching, & holding a white piece of vinyl. Evil or Very Mad

You could always wash your hands before trying to put the headliner in...
Dkwautounion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: My 1963 "field find". The " matador " from maricopa CA. Reply with quote

thechief86 wrote:
Just how crappy are we talkin?
I need to do the headliner in my car as well, but nobody within 100 miles will do it for me. I'd just like to get an idea of how bad it's gonna look when I do it, haha.
Would love to see some photos of it, don't be ashamed, lol.

well one mistake I made was I didn't have the headliner perfectly centered, the bow slips in the sleeve on the inside of the headliner , then when you hang the headliner make sure the amount of rod that is exposed out of the sleeve is the same on both sides. . hope that makes sense .
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1963 "field find". The " matador " from maricopa CA. Reply with quote

Bryan67 wrote:
TDCTDI wrote:

You could always wash your hands before trying to put the headliner in...

If you work with oily,greasy parts enough, it will permeate the skin & transfer to any surface that you have to work with, especially light colored fabrics, no matter how clean you think you've gotten them.

But if it's just a hobby & you only get into grease & oil once or twice a month (or year Rolling Eyes ) then you won't have such issues

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: