Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bosch VJU4BR8 Distributor Contact Plate Lubricant
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
garagebandking41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Bosch VJU4BR8 Distributor Contact Plate Lubricant Reply with quote

I'm not sure if I got the name right but what kind of lubricant should I use between the two metal plates that adjust the timing on the BR8 Distributor? I think I recall the manual mentioned some drops of motor oil, but they are metal on metal and that doesn't seem to be substantial enough.

The part in question is pointed out by the red arrow.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch VJU4BR8 Distributor Contact Plate Lubricant Reply with quote

I use Bosch distributor grease

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
garagebandking41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch VJU4BR8 Distributor Contact Plate Lubricant Reply with quote

Thanks Glenn,

I hand polished for hours those mating surfaces because mine were worn down. It is a very close fit and there were some depressions in the "top" plate that were deep enough to cause jerky motion. Moving my way from 400 grit to 800 I was able to restore non-interference and smooth operation, but I never want to do that again!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch VJU4BR8 Distributor Contact Plate Lubricant Reply with quote

garagebandking41 wrote:
Thanks Glenn,

I hand polished for hours those mating surfaces because mine were worn down. It is a very close fit and there were some depressions in the "top" plate that were deep enough to cause jerky motion. Moving my way from 400 grit to 800 I was able to restore non-interference and smooth operation, but I never want to do that again!

Those divots are a problem.

If you contacted me, i have a few of those assemblies in good condition and would of sold one for a reasonable price.

Whenever I buy a core that is not rebuildable, I do salvage every good parts and do offer them for sale if I have more than i need.

Divot

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
garagebandking41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch VJU4BR8 Distributor Contact Plate Lubricant Reply with quote

Glenn,

Your pictures did not show up. The link may be dead. I'm interested to see how bad they can get. Like I said, mine was salvageable. I didn't mic them but I couldn't have taken off more than a thou to cure the problem. Like butter now Laughing

Edit: Now the pictures showed up. Mine look just like that now! Thank you again.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch VJU4BR8 Distributor Contact Plate Lubricant Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

Divot

Glenn, when you say "divots", what area are you referring to?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch VJU4BR8 Distributor Contact Plate Lubricant Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
Glenn, when you say "divots", what area are you referring to?

The indent on the raised surface that the ball rides on. It should be smooth so the ball can move when the upper plate moves.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
garagebandking41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch VJU4BR8 Distributor Contact Plate Lubricant Reply with quote

Quote:
The indent on the raised surface that the ball rides on

Ahh, I didn't realize that is what you were referring to. Mine does not have that issue. I had to polish grooves worn in by the three raised sections on the bottom plate. You can't really tell in my tear down pic. but you can see the three raised sections right in the middle of the frame there.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch VJU4BR8 Distributor Contact Plate Lubricant Reply with quote

I've never seen one where the bottom of the upper breaker plate needed to be resurfaced. And i've rebuilt over 200 of them.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
garagebandking41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch VJU4BR8 Distributor Contact Plate Lubricant Reply with quote

Quote:
I've never seen one where the bottom of the upper breaker plate needed to be resurfaced.

I'll take a photo when I get back to my shop. You can still make out the grooves I'm talking about. I polished just enough to restore smooth movement, though I think it may have been a bit unnecessary to the degree I took it.
garagebandking41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch VJU4BR8 Distributor Contact Plate Lubricant Reply with quote

You can see my sanding. But still make out the original indentations of the bottom breaker plate. It passes the fingernail test and is now smooth.
tasb
The Distributor Distributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch VJU4BR8 Distributor Contact Plate Lubricant Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
I use Bosch distributor grease

What then, should the rest of us use? if you've done a google search for the stuff you find out that there is little out there. One Samba user found a tube and has put it up for sale:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2178463 Sad

When last I saw a tube on ebay it sold for $25 and wasn't even a full tube.

Here is a helpful thread for the rest of us:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=652724&highlight=distributor+grease

for the glide surface of the points plates even a thin coat of some bearing grease will do in a pinch, or you can pay $225...

1965 hardtop Deluxe Microbus owned since 1990 M 620 factory 12 v 1500cc

1961 (October)Single Cab- Road Trip Workhorse
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch VJU4BR8 Distributor Contact Plate Lubricant Reply with quote

Or Standard Libricam For $11.

https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Motor-Products-SL2-Lubricam/dp/B000JKDAR6

tasb wrote:
for the glide surface of the points plates even a thin coat of some bearing grease will do in a pinch, or you can pay $225...

Wheel bearing grease is ment to be kept in place by seals. Distributor grease is very sticky and stays in place.

Oil will work, but for how long? Use an inferior product and the plate will eventually drag as friction increased and finally bind. Then you'll be doing it again.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
tasb

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch VJU4BR8 Distributor Contact Plate Lubricant Reply with quote

Applause Good alternative,

A thin layer of bearing grease sandwiched between two non moving, flat parts is not going to go anywhere. It will dry out faster- years, than distributor lube That's why I stated "in a pinch" and provided a thread with alternatives.

There are still plenty of VJU distributors out there, no need for anyone else to go through what the OP did. We have lot's of spares.

garagebandking41
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch VJU4BR8 Distributor Contact Plate Lubricant Reply with quote

tasb wrote:
no need for anyone else to go through what the OP did. We have lot's of spares.

Shocked Well pardon me for keeping an original piece in working order! I was wondering why some 36hp parts are hard to come by.

In all seriousness thank you all for the help and discussion!
tasb

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch VJU4BR8 Distributor Contact Plate Lubricant Reply with quote

No worries, I applaud your efforts too. Applause

60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch VJU4BR8 Distributor Contact Plate Lubricant Reply with quote

Why does 5 of my Bentley manuals say it is OK to use wheel bearing grease inside the distributor cap on the cam, pivot points and advance plate ball if it is deemed so bad to use Question
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch VJU4BR8 Distributor Contact Plate Lubricant Reply with quote

Because Bentley is not Bosch and they are assuming you don't have a specific grease like Bosch distributor grease.

I used to use it to grease the input shaft of a transaxle.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: Bosch VJU4BR8 Distributor Contact Plate Lubricant Reply with quote

Laughing
Just the answer I figured would come.
But it's OK to say read the Bentley and follow it the till doesn't agree with your perceived notions.
I have been using wheel bearing grease on hundreds and hundreds of VW distributors over 50 years with no problems so I guess Bentley can't be to far off by recommending it.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Bosch VJU4BR8 Distributor Contact Plate Lubricant Reply with quote

60ragtop wrote:
Laughing
Just the answer I figured would come.
But it's OK to say read the Bentley and follow it the till doesn't agree with your perceived notions.
I have been using wheel bearing grease on hundreds and hundreds of VW distributors over 50 years with no problems so I guess Bentley can't be to far off by recommending it.

I've rebuilt over 3000 distributors and everyone that used wheel bearing grease had it slung all over the inside and think gunk on the bottom.

The problem is not that it doesn't lubricate, jut just doesn't stick as well as the correct product. But since the correct product is NLA, use whatever works for you.

I bet if you read the Muir book, it says you can just Vaseline Wink

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: