Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Connector size for generator/regulator
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Connector size for generator/regulator Reply with quote

I am converting to a 12v generator that has the two external posts. My question lies in what sorts of connections are people using for this? I have some tabs that convert from a ring terminal to a male spade, but the male spade is .25". The female spade connector that I have that is "suggested" for the regulator has the wider .375" spade. Also, one of the nuts on the post is swaged on so technically, I would need an open spade, but would like continuity and finding a brass open spade connector for 10-12gauge wire is proving mind numbing.

Can I use the smaller .25" connector? At least for the main power wire?
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Connector size for generator/regulator Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
I am converting to a 12v generator that has the two external posts. My question lies in what sorts of connections are people using for this? I have some tabs that convert from a ring terminal to a male spade, but the male spade is .25". The female spade connector that I have that is "suggested" for the regulator has the wider .375" spade. Also, one of the nuts on the post is swaged on so technically, I would need an open spade, but would like continuity and finding a brass open spade connector for 10-12gauge wire is proving mind numbing.

Get a 3/8 inch spade connector...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_CAds=&_ex_k...p;_fosrp=1

dont under size it with a 1/4 inch connector. the larger connector has higher current capacity. it is there for a reason.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Connector size for generator/regulator Reply with quote

bluebus86 wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

Get a 3/8 inch spade connector...

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?LH_CAds=&_ex_k...p;_fosrp=1

dont under size it with a 1/4 inch connector. the larger connector has higher current capacity. it is there for a reason.

Bug On!

I have the .375” female spade connector as I mentioned above. Unfortunately there isn’t a corresponding ring to male adapter made that I’m finding. Thanks for the dead eBay link. 🙄
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
rcroane Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Connector size for generator/regulator Reply with quote

Quote:
Thanks for the dead eBay link. 🙄

Worked fine for me.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Connector size for generator/regulator Reply with quote

rcroane wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the dead eBay link. 🙄

Worked fine for me.

Weird. First time I clicked it was a dead link.

Either way I have that part. It’s getting from that connector to the post that’s the issue. No one seems to make a 5mm ring to .375” male spade connector. Think I found a solution it’s just not exactly what I wanted.

If anyone else has a solution with part numbers I’d appreciate it. Obviously Porsche/VW had a solution.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Connector size for generator/regulator Reply with quote

I guess I'm not understanding the problem here. If you're installing a generator with two posts, use a ring terminal and a spade fork terminal for the D+ and DF wires. If you're installing the 67/68 type generator with spade terminals, use two spade terminals for your D+ and DF wires.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Connector size for generator/regulator Reply with quote

I have made what you need, proceed as follows.......

Get some brass sheet, hobby shops might have this. The sheet thickness should be simular to that of a male spade terminal end. Cut and file out a strip about 3/8 inch wide from the sheet, and long enough to be pressed into the female spade terminal on your wire, with maybe and extra half inch or so sticking out. Drill appropriate sized hole in the end that will stick out so that it may be secured to the threaded stud with nut on the generator. I suppose you could aluminum sheet also. You want an alloy that is stiff so as the part wont readily bend under weight of the wire harness.

Easy peasy!

Good luck, Bug On!

ps The link on prior post worked for me.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Connector size for generator/regulator Reply with quote

Cut the ring terminal off and crimp on the 3/8 inch spade? Drill a 3/16th inch hole in the male 3/8 spade on the voltage regulator and install the ring terminal with a bolt, nut, and lock washer?
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Connector size for generator/regulator Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
I guess I'm not understanding the problem here. If you're installing a generator with two posts, use a ring terminal and a spade fork terminal for the D+ and DF wires. If you're installing the 67/68 type generator with spade terminals, use two spade terminals for your D+ and DF wires.

I should have speficied that I’m looking for brass.

Making a male tab out of brass sheet is actually an interesting thought.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Connector size for generator/regulator Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:

http://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/home.php?cat=390&page=5
I'm quite certain there are others, this was the first one that I found.
Sharp64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Connector size for generator/regulator Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:

http://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/home.php?cat=390&page=5
I'm quite certain there are others, this was the first one that I found.

Yeah I’ve been through several sites. Posts are only 5mm. I think I’m going to have to just suck it up and go with tin. I’ll use a brass plated nut on it or something to hide it. I saw a diagram from and old Porsche manual that showed some sort of connector that sent onto the stud/post but couldn’t find a number. Maybe I’ll have to head over to the 356 Registry and see if they know.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: