Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Question about custom (turbo) exhaust collector design
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Komissar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:16 pm    Post subject: Question about custom (turbo) exhaust collector design Reply with quote

Hello,

I am currently fabricating a custom exhaust for my '72 Type 3 Squareback. 1600 dp engine with dual stock PSDIT carbs.
This exhaust is sort of an experiment, I intend to use it for a blowthrough turbo in the end.
The turbo itself will be a small one, (for example one from a 1.5L diesel donor car) and I intend it to use it for bottom end boost, rather than high rpm boost.

The steel pipes I have used for fabricating the header have an ID slightly smaller than the ones used on the stock muffler system which is about the same diameter of the inlet opening of the turbo (the exhaust inlet) - I have chosen this diameter to get good exhaust gas velocity.

Now, regarding the collector header - should the "outlet" of the collector be slightly larger than the diameter of the incoming merging pipes (and incidentally larger than the inlet of the turbo) or should it be the same diameter?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Komissar on Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about custom exhaust collector design Reply with quote

I suggest you include "Turbo" in your thread title. That way all the Turbo Junkies will get all excited and give you some input.

Such as:

Question about Turbo custom exhaust collector design
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Komissar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about custom (turbo) exhaust collector design Reply with quote

Thank you Smile I have just done that.
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about custom (turbo) exhaust collector design Reply with quote

In my personal experience.......I found it doesn't matter much what you have for a exhaust as long as it pushes it through the turbo.

I've been running a cheap......actually free......sedan header with a 2 inch outlet flange up to my turbo for quite a few years. It performs pretty well.

I suppose if you had a race car and were trying to extract every once of performance out of it you could do better if you wanted to spend big bucks on a professionally built header or build one yourself out of many bends but I doubt the the difference would be worth the money unless a couple tenths of a second would make or break your reputation.
Here is my header...... A cheapa** sedan header with thin flanges.....

This is what I started with in 2011....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is the same header with a new up-pipe for my third turbo upgrade.

Here is the same header 7 years later supporting 24 lbs. boost and over 200 whp.

My turbine inlet is 1 7/8ths inch and my turbo up-pipe is 2 inch......the inside diameter of the 2 inch up-pipe pretty well matches the turbos turbine inlet.....I would try to keep it the same. or flare it up or down into the inlet to match.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about custom (turbo) exhaust collector design Reply with quote

You should use a Merge Collector if possible or use an actual Collector which is going to be significantly larger than your primaries. Otherwise you will not have a scavenging effect.
tripicana
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about custom (turbo) exhaust collector design Reply with quote

I cut up and used a S&S type 3 header.
Had to add a few bends I got from an exhaust shop.
More pics in my gallery.

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about custom (turbo) exhaust collector design Reply with quote

I don't really understand the question.
It should be obvious that steps, sharp corners, and sudden changes in cross-section, and mismatches ect, should be avoided. The center line of the primaries should be aimed at the inlet of the turbo. It isn't highly critical, but if you can get the details right...it will help slightly.

What taper to use exactly, I don't really know. I'd lean towards about 7 degrees, (about a 1/4 inch per inch) but not totally sure. Maybe a little sharper?
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about custom (turbo) exhaust collector design Reply with quote

From what I understand (or maybe don't), SHORT trumps over equal length.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:51 am    Post subject: Re: Question about custom (turbo) exhaust collector design Reply with quote

If the primaries are not close to equal length it is not a header and IS a tubular exhaust manifold.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:33 am    Post subject: Re: Question about custom (turbo) exhaust collector design Reply with quote

The term does not seem to have a specific definition in American english.
Example: Zoomie header, is a OLD term for a streamlined tubular manifold.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: Question about custom (turbo) exhaust collector design Reply with quote

FreeBug wrote:
From what I understand (or maybe don't), SHORT trumps over equal length.

^^^ This makes sense to me when under boost. Get the exhaust gasses to the turbo quickly before they cool and lose velocity.

Equal length and primary tube length for better scavenging would only apply under light loads pre boost - not? Once the turbo is loaded up and boosting the back pressure in the exhaust system would cancel any scavenging effects?

Perhaps there is a compromise between efficiency of the system on/off boost?

I don't know the answer, just wondering out loud.

The first turbocharger book I bought years ago the author felt there was little advantage to "tuning" an exhaust system in a turbo application but I bought his second updated book later and the subject was not covered in that book at all.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Question about custom (turbo) exhaust collector design Reply with quote

Quote:
The term does not seem to have a specific definition in American english

This is the term I hear used for when the original manufacturer of the car just connects all the exhaust ports up using the least amount of tubing instead of cast iron to get the exhaust gases to the rear bumper of the vehicle.

Quote:
This makes sense to me when under boost.

Just because an obstruction is going to create static pressure doesn't mean you can't create a lower pressure area somewhere using dynamic pressure.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Question about custom (turbo) exhaust collector design Reply with quote

theKbStockpiler wrote:
Quote:
This makes sense to me when under boost.

Just because an obstruction is going to create static pressure doesn't mean you can't create a lower pressure area somewhere using dynamic pressure.

I will agree with that but the higher the back pressure the less it would matter? If for example you had 1 psi difference at atmospheric pressure would that 1 psi be noticeable with 25 psi back pressure?

Maybe it is not a linear relationship or that simple.

I'm just thinking that there is a trade-off between having a perfectly "tuned" system and losing exhaust gas temp/velocity.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Question about custom (turbo) exhaust collector design Reply with quote

If pressure was just all the same type you could block off the exhaust intentionally but the exhaust gas has to be moving to spin a turbine. The scavenging effect creates two separate pressure zones in the exhaust.

When the cylinder 'blows down' it removes the spent fuel charge which is helped with a tuned exhaust and or a header with a collector/merger-collector. With a turbo engine this is going to be worse because the spent fuel charge is going to be greater and have more mass.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: Question about custom (turbo) exhaust collector design Reply with quote

So your theory then is that a tuned system is more important in a turbo application than an N/A one?
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Question about custom (turbo) exhaust collector design Reply with quote

No because power is made or wasted in more than one way.

My theory is that an exhaust should not be like plumbing. If you want a low cost/performance turbo exhaust for many people that is fine because they can turn up the boost. Cutting a 90 degree fitting in 1/2 , making it a 45 degree and welding them together at an angle does not create a smooth transition for example but did not have to be custom bent. The separate pieces are just being connected at this point.
Coyotemutt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Question about custom (turbo) exhaust collector design Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:

Here is the same header 7 years later supporting 24 lbs. boost and over 200 whp.

Okay, would you just stop tempting me? Lol! Your posts are like eye candy.
I got a turbo off of a Subaru legacy, for free, that would work great for this, but I don't actually NEED that kind of power in my offroad car...
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Question about custom (turbo) exhaust collector design Reply with quote

Coyotemutt wrote:
clonebug wrote:

Okay, would you just stop tempting me? Lol! Your posts are like eye candy.
I got a turbo off of a Subaru legacy, for free, that would work great for this, but I don't actually NEED that kind of power in my offroad car...

Nobody needs boost...... Rolling Eyes Wink
Well....I digress......... Cool

You can build or spend any amount you want for a turbo header but the end result is you need to get it through the turbo....no matter how many big words you use to describe it.
Do it as cheap as possible first to get a taste of boost and then once the addiction takes over you can sell your children to increase the boost.

Boost is boost and there is nothing like it when it hits 24 lbs......
My definition of lag is the difference in pull from when it hits 18 lbs at 3300 rpm and pulls even harder at 3800 rpm and 24 lbs.....

If you are planning on running 6.0 lbs on the stock Subaru wastegate you can just do like I did and bolt a 2 inch flange to the offroad style header and build a short up-pipe to the turbo.
The Subie turbo is ideal for a baja or buggy since it is clocked from the factory for exhaust going in the bottom and the outlet going horizontal.
You can get a clocking bracket for the TD04L-13T that will turn it 70 degrees up like mine is and still use the stock wastegate if you want to install an intercooler.
My advice is build an exhaust like mine and spend the money on a way to keep intake temps down. You will gain more hp that way than some fancy header system that costs $500.00 for a minimal return.
If you are offroad just use the offroad baja header with a really short up-pipe.

I originally tried one but it was bent and I cracked it trying to straighten it.
The sedan header was free so I used it.

Here was my first try with the Baja header.......it didn't work out like I wanted so on to plan B....

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Question about custom (turbo) exhaust collector design Reply with quote

I agree with clonebug, the difference in exhaust systems with turbos is small and hard to quantify without controlled conditions. Boost pressures and intake temps are the biggest bang for your buck. You can feel that any time of the day!

I didn't have an intercooler on mine and on a hot summer day it would get into detonation at 8 psi while in the winter at -30 it would go well over 15 psi with no issues.
Komissar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Question about custom (turbo) exhaust collector design Reply with quote

Thank you all for your input and the useful information provided.

Regarding the above mentioned intake temps, i guess that other then keeping boost levels as down as necessary, for a type 3 Squareback water injection might be a solution, since there is no room for an intercooler back there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: