Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Broke the spark plug! WBX 2.1L 1987 SOLVED!
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonas.andersson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Broke the spark plug! WBX 2.1L 1987 SOLVED! Reply with quote

Okay so i have been lurking around this forum for a while now and i only just skimmed the surface but it has helped me a lot along the way! Smile this will officially be my first post here on the samba.

So this is what happened. I was JUST gonna do normal maintenance change oil, filters spark plugs etc. But when removing the second spark plug i applied to much force and it broke off inside the head! Sad So after many failed attempts to brutally get the remaining spark plug out i decided to drop the engine in order to get a better working position and figure out a better way to get it out ALSO to fix some other parts of the engine that needed attention.

So here i am with the a dropped wbx 2.1 engine and i need a solution to get the god damn plug out! I can only see one solution to this and its to drill it out and retap for a TimeSert and just go with that.
My final question remains to the experts on this forum. Is its necessary to pull the head off in order to drill the spark plug out or i can leave it in place? When i drill down the remainings of the spark plug its gonna be hard metal peaces mixed with aluminum bits from bad threads falling down into the cylinder?

is has been 40000 miles since the last head gasket resealing was made and its has preformed perfectly all the time, no leaking or anything.

i am hoping i can just blow out with air all the metal bits with the piston in right position, maybe even flush with water??

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

[/img]

Last edited by jonas.andersson on Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
borninabus
Samba R&D Dept.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Broke the spark plug! WBX 2.1L 1987 Reply with quote

um...i don't see anything broken off; just a hole where a spark plug once was.
those threads don't look all that great though.
a time-sert can certainly be installed with the head still on.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Broke the spark plug! WBX 2.1L 1987 Reply with quote

Grease on the drill bit and tap will catch a lot of the filings. Do your insert and put the engine back in. Start it with the spark plug out and most of the filings will head out the spark plug hole and exhaust. I would do this before I pulled the head and not worry about debris. Otherwise yes, pull the head.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Broke the spark plug! WBX 2.1L 1987 Reply with quote

Please show us the spark plug that came out.

As mentioned, I don't see a broken spark plug, just an ugly hole.

I've got the Ford with the V8 where the plugs snap off. I own the special tool to get the remains out but those broken plugs look nothing like what you are showing us.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Inlet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Broke the spark plug! WBX 2.1L 1987 Reply with quote

An EZ-out "screw extractor" would have most likely gotten it out.

This has happened to me before on a freshly rebuilt race head $$$, and I almost had a heart attack and had all the same thoughts, went to a a machine shop and they said ohh yeah bring it in we'll take care of it for you $$$, went to the local hardware store and the skater/goth guy in the tool section recommended an ez-out, and it worked. $7
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Broke the spark plug! WBX 2.1L 1987 Reply with quote

congratulations on getting an engine out on your first post! i don't see a broken plug either, just a munged plug hole. chase it with a spark plug hole cleaner and try tightening one up.

but consider this.... it would be a great time to replace heads making the issue moot!

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Broke the spark plug! WBX 2.1L 1987 Reply with quote

...and add just a <touch> of high-temp anti seize on the new plug threads... Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Broke the spark plug! WBX 2.1L 1987 Reply with quote

I am puzzled as well by what you are saying. Maybe you have a helicoil or other insert down in the hole? If the threads appear to be other than aluminum that would be likely.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Broke the spark plug! WBX 2.1L 1987 Reply with quote

Give us a pic of the plug <or> pieces that came out...???

- Dave

jonas.andersson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Broke the spark plug! WBX 2.1L 1987 Reply with quote

Trust me its broken off inside Very Happy
I already tried with an Ez out but no luck, that's why you can see some "threads" in the remaining spark plug.

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Broke the spark plug! WBX 2.1L 1987 Reply with quote

jonas.andersson wrote:
Trust me its broken off inside Very Happy
I already tried with an Ez out but no luck, that's why you can see some "threads" in the remaining spark plug.

Still confused, did you run a tap into the hole instead of any easy out?

If you have access to a oxy-act torch, heat one side of the remainder of the plug red hot for just a moment. Once it cools again the plug should turn right out.
jonas.andersson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Broke the spark plug! WBX 2.1L 1987 Reply with quote

just to clarify i have not used a tap or drill (yet)

the only thing that has happened so far is that the spark plug broke off like shown in the picture and i have tried to pull it out with an Ez out, still stuck...

i guess more heating and cooling could do the trick, in the end it always does. But what are my options when it comes to drilling it out? Could you damage the head and cylinder even more?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Broke the spark plug! WBX 2.1L 1987 Reply with quote

OK then, I will freely eat my big serving of crow here!

Apologies........ Embarassed

Boy, that broke very differently than the Ford plugs do.

I will say that a broken bolt extractor tool is your #1 choice.

Gently try it cold first, as a rule cold plugs come out better with less thread damage risk that hot plugs do.

If it doesn't come, then try some heat.

For me, drilling is the last option.

Do make sure the piston is not TDC in case the extractor tool works its way in deeper than intended.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Broke the spark plug! WBX 2.1L 1987 Reply with quote

If you have worries that you do have bits down in the cylinder you can get an "endoscope" that will connect to a smartphone and have a look inside to confirm this.

https://www.amazon.com/USB-Borescope-Endoscope-And...&psc=1

This USA Amazon, but sure you can similar on UK Amazon.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
jonas.andersson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Broke the spark plug! WBX 2.1L 1987 Reply with quote

That's a smart idea!! Idea if i have a lot of worries i will definitely try that.
dougass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Broke the spark plug! WBX 2.1L 1987 Reply with quote

+1 for EZ out!

If you haven't used one before, use one that fits well into the hole (not just the tip!!). Tap it in as straight as possible just to set it, then do your best to keep the torque on the EZ out square.

You are lucky because this is fairly large and clean, the smaller EZ outs snap very very easily, even the expensive ones, Snap-On and similar.

Don't panic, it will be OK!!

#klausvan & @thisisklausvan
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Broke the spark plug! WBX 2.1L 1987 Reply with quote

Already tried an ez-out to no avail is what I read above.

I'd seriously try putting a tapered rod into that and see if you can just wedge against it enough to get it to come out.

Something like this:

Just try to find something that the taper is such that will wedge against the sides without going to far into the hole. You can push it against one side or other while you try to turn it out. Maybe add some kind of grippy material. I've had good luck with this on similar hollow remains- I wrapped the pry bar end with thin inner tube material tightly to increase grip. Obviously, this may not work at all, seems like the plug is probably cross threaded in there to break like that anway, but can't hurt to try.

But at the same time- I'd also be getting myself ready to buy new heads, no matter what you do you're going to end up having to helicoil to put another spark plug in, might be time to just move forward with new (admittedly expensive) parts.
dougass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Broke the spark plug! WBX 2.1L 1987 Reply with quote

Whoops, sorry, missed the EZ out comments.

Jonas, did the EZ out break?

If it strips, tap it in farther.
If it doesnt budge, get a breaker bar on there!

#klausvan & @thisisklausvan
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Broke the spark plug! WBX 2.1L 1987 Reply with quote

I vote for pulling the head & hand the whole thing to your local machine shop.
20 bucks, plus a box of steaks for the supervisor & you'll be free & clear... Wink

- Dave

mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: Broke the spark plug! WBX 2.1L 1987 Reply with quote

^^^^^^^^^^^x2

That does seem like the most efficient route.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: