Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Broke the spark plug! WBX 2.1L 1987 SOLVED!
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
BavarianWrench
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Broke the spark plug! WBX 2.1L 1987 Reply with quote

Hello Jonas
Welcome to the madness of the Wasserboxer. That is an ugly snap on that spark plug. I am always looking to do a sneak repair and save some labor by avoiding pulling the head. In your case I think pulling the heads and I say both heads would be smart. You have gone so far in the removal and teardown, intake and exhaust are removed. In your third photo I notice some of the crusty corrosion developing at the head gasket that develops into pitting and a compromised seal to the coolant. It would be a bummer to have that leak in a year or so.
Pull the head, use any of many methods to get the broken end out. Clean up the engine and reseal the whole thing. I support pulling the head. Wish you all the best.
CdnVWJunkie Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Broke the spark plug! WBX 2.1L 1987 Reply with quote

I've been here before. I soaked the broken spark plug with quality penetrating oil for ~ 1 week, daily. Then I took a oxy-ace torch and got the broken insert hot. Pounded in a helical style EZ out. Boom out it came. Chased the theaded and thoroughly blew the hole out. That engine is still in use.
jonas.andersson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Broke the spark plug! WBX 2.1L 1987 Reply with quote

what a day!!

Started off with a total failure! Sad I even broke the Ez out this time while beeing inside the broken spark plug

after several attempts to weld a nut onto it and back it out i succeed

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

so back to the first problem! getting the plug out Very Happy I started off this time with another approach... file it down! After almost 40 min of filing a upper and lower line it came loose and i could simply pick it out with pliers.

Tbob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Broke the spark plug! WBX 2.1L 1987 SOLVED! Reply with quote

Anyone else notice the offending plug is a "made in Russia" Bosch? I had dismal success with a set in my 85 1.9, miss-firing and easily fouled. Re installing the old plugs solved the problem. At least mine didn't break in half like the OP's, but it made me concerned about the quality of Russian parts (as if the old URAL motorcycles weren't bad enough). Bosch seems to be a marketing company only now, no longer worried about quality and engineering. The corporate effort seems to be only on getting the brand name on any and all products possible.
1985 Westfalia, stock!
1986 Westfakia, Audi I-4 conversion
A couple of trucks and a couple of Jeeps
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Broke the spark plug! WBX 2.1L 1987 SOLVED! Reply with quote

Tbob wrote:
Anyone else notice the offending plug is a "made in Russia" Bosch? I had dismal success with a set in my 85 1.9, miss-firing and easily fouled. Re installing the old plugs solved the problem. At least mine didn't break in half like the OP's, but it made me concerned about the quality of Russian parts (as if the old URAL motorcycles weren't bad enough). Bosch seems to be a marketing company only now, no longer worried about quality and engineering. The corporate effort seems to be only on getting the brand name on any and all products possible.

I have been ranting against Bosch for ten year or more at this point in time. For a lot of what the sell they are as trashy as any brand out there. It is sad that what was once the go to brand should now be avoided.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: