Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Installing new headlights without high beams?
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smileybuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Installing new headlights without high beams? Reply with quote

So I'm new at this but I have a 69 dune buggy manx replica and I'm trying to install new headlights. New headlights came with 3 wires, my hook up only has 2. I'm assuming the wires on the new one are for high beam, low beam and ground. My buggy doesn't have any switch for high beams, it just has a toggle switch for the current headlights, which don't laugh, but they are tractor headlights... PO put them on just to get lights on it quickly.. Anyways, I'm assuming that since there are only 2 wires, the one missing is for the high beams? So, I don't really care if I have high beams, can I hook these up and have them work without using that 3rd wire. And if so, what do I do with that 3rd wire? Im not the best at wiring so I don't want to get into adding high beams just yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Installing new headlights without high beams? Reply with quote

Not sure of tractor lights (not DOT approved/street legal) ... But yes you can make them work....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This would be somewhat typical of headlight circuit that generally works for high/low operation...

First thing I would do is be sure the two wires are not the high and low wires and ground is missing....

Typical of back of sealed beam headlight...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Smileybuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: Installing new headlights without high beams? Reply with quote

Thanks, we are ditching the tractor lights. Im sure they don't have high beams. I don't even have a switch or anything inside the car for high beams, so as of right now, I don't want to mess with it. I bought actual bucket headlights made for a buggy which is what I'm trying to install. Just wondered what to do with that 3rd wire on the new one. I only have the 2 wires going to the tractor light right now. I was hoping this was going to be easy hook up Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Installing new headlights without high beams? Reply with quote

To be street legal you need high and low beams.

Instead of the relay and switch, why not use the good old-fashioned foot operated dimmer switch? Existing switch sends power to the foot switch and foot switch selects between high and low beams. Cheap, simple, and effective.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Smileybuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Installing new headlights without high beams? Reply with quote

Thanks, I appreciate the tip. We will add the high beams eventually, but we just want to get the new lights on the way it is just until we have some extra time to tackle it. There are other wiring things we have to do that we want to do while we're in there.
tgodber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Installing new headlights without high beams? Reply with quote

I used the old fashioned foot dimmer switch. I mounted it in the dash. A little redneck but it works well.
Smileybuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing new headlights without high beams? Reply with quote

Yeah, funny you should say that, that's prob where it'll end up. That's where the PO put the toggle switch for the turn signals 😉 Just trying to find out if, temporarily, I can hook the headlights up without the high beams because I despise the tractor lights..
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing new headlights without high beams? Reply with quote

Just use a 3 position toggle switch with an on/off/on set up. I used these in all my buggies and race cars. If you put the switch in the up down position, when you flip the switch down its low beams, up is high beams and center is off. I have also used these switches for signal lights but mounted them in the horizontal position so the toggle moves side to side. Super simple and cheap. I do spend money and good good toggle switches though and for my own stuff I have a stash of MIL Spec switches I got from a surplus shop that are bullet proof.

brad
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Installing new headlights without high beams? Reply with quote

I'm using 6" tractor headlight buckets in my build,
using H4 Low/High beam bulb / housing assemblies. (5.75")

bryan
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Installing new headlights without high beams? Reply with quote

Smileybuggy wrote:
Thanks, we are ditching the tractor lights. Im sure they don't have high beams. I don't even have a switch or anything inside the car for high beams, so as of right now, I don't want to mess with it. I bought actual bucket headlights made for a buggy which is what I'm trying to install. Just wondered what to do with that 3rd wire on the new one. I only have the 2 wires going to the tractor light right now. I was hoping this was going to be easy hook up Sad

Its an easy hook up. The new headlight buckets typically come with a plug with wires to connect to the headlight bulb. Just wire to the low beam and ground terminals. Make sure the high beam wire that comes out of the plug is taped off so it cannot short to ground. It is not legal, but no one is likely to know because no one should be seeing your high beams from the front (that's rude). I've done it on a Bug before when the floor dimmer switch failed. For a short while it was a wire from the headlight switch terminal to the low beam fuses on the fuse block. Worked fine and nobody else knew (until now). Smile
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Installing new headlights without high beams? Reply with quote

Note black wire from shell of K5 - K2 - K3 bulbs going to fuse position that is powered when ever IGN switch is on...

Grounds to light lamps are supplies buy ALT/GEN or switches attached to bulbs (blue wires with tracers)...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Smileybuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Installing new headlights without high beams? Reply with quote

Thank you EVfun!!! I so appreciate everyone's info on hooking up the high beams, I will use this info shortly when I tackle the other wiring stuff. 🙂 for now, I am way too excited to get the old lights off and the new ones on. Hopefully I can get this done today...
Smileybuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Installing new headlights without high beams? Reply with quote

Got them installed!!! Such an improvement!! Thanks everyone for all the advice, it will come in handy soon 🙂 I'm attaching a before and after so you can see why I couldn't get the tractor lights off quick enough!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: