Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Body Lift Method
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Lift Method Reply with quote

Make sure to save the seat tracks!

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Lift Method Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Geez, your pans look good. A couple license plates, an old NO TRESSPASSING sign, some roofing tar and drywall screws and call it a day. Wink

The PO actually used roofing shingles to patch the floors! They are pretty much toast. The seat rails are still good but the cross members need replacing. Mike from House of Ghia hooked me up with those.

There's a nice inexplicable U-shaped cut out in tunnel that you can see right in front of the heater knob.

But under the pan gaskets, shiny paint and pristine metal.
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Lift Method Reply with quote

Evil_Fiz wrote:
It's hard to tell from the picture but do you have any longitudinal bracing on the dolly? I don't see any triangulating (diagonal) braces and it's hard to tell if there is an upper longitudinal runner. (That's a lot of 50 Cent words there Embarassed ) If it's there, carry on, otherwise you may want to add some. You may also want to add triangular braces or right angle "L" brackets to the cross member corners. It would be a shame to see that Ghia injured on the ground.

Yes, thanks for the tip!

I have horizontal 4x4s going under the wheel wells and all the joints are braced with L-brackets but I probably should add some diagonal bracing. Seems pretty sturdy without but I guess you never know.

The tricky part is I have a gravel driveway and it's hard to roll the car. I'll probably roll the pan out to work on it for now.
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Lift Method Reply with quote

Peter D. wrote:
There's a nice inexplicable U-shaped cut out in tunnel that you can see right in front of the heater knob.

That looks like a flap that someone has cut to fix the clutch cable tube (or something else inside the tunnel) but they haven't welded it up. Some people seem to think that you can cut into the tunnel and just leave it but this is not the case because it weakens the whole chassis. But since they have left the flap there rather than cutting a hole, you should be able to weld it up no problem.

Also really check whether you need to replace the whole floor pans. The repro floor pans aren't great and are not correct for early models. You can buy patch pieces for the early models so this could be an alternative if the whole pan is not gone.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Lift Method Reply with quote

Peter D. wrote:
c21darrel wrote:
Geez, your pans look good. A couple license plates, an old NO TRESSPASSING sign, some roofing tar and drywall screws and call it a day. Wink

The PO actually used roofing shingles to patch the floors! They are pretty much toast. The seat rails are still good but the cross members need replacing. Mike from House of Ghia hooked me up with those.

But under the pan gaskets, shiny paint and pristine metal.

Yeah, never use shingles, old road signs are best. Wink

Mellow is right about the scar on the tunnel, probably an old clutch tube repair and should be welded up. First, open it up and take a look see, confirm quality repair before melting metal. You dont want to open it up after a resto like I had too
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Evil_Fiz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Lift Method Reply with quote

Peter D. wrote:
...The tricky part is I have a gravel driveway and it's hard to roll the car.
Harbor Freight has some inexpensive 8" pneumatic casters. I have read abiout people rolling a VW body-on-dolly over gravel and grass with those. It means taking the body off the dolly again but it may pay off in the long run. You could try jacking up one end of the dolly at a time to replace the casters but that is a treacherous endeavor.

See my build on TheSamba at:
The K_R_A_K_E_N_N : a 70 Ghia Convertible reinterpreted
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Lift Method Reply with quote

The casters are pretty big and I bought them with the gravel in mind. Maybe my driveway isn't compacted enough but that's a post for the a home improvement forum. LOL
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Body Lift Method Reply with quote

c21darrel wrote:
Mellow is right about the scar on the tunnel, probably an old clutch tube repair and should be welded up. First, open it up and take a look see, confirm quality repair before melting metal. You dont want to open it up after a resto like I had too

Getting off-topic so I'm going to post a follow up to my restoration thread.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: