Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

68 with carb issues
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wickedinhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 1:31 pm    Post subject: 68 with carb issues Reply with quote

I bought a 68 suppose to be a 100 horse motor but who knows. It has a dual carb setup and has a rough idle and a off idle bogg but runs great once it gets going. It has black smoke coming out of the exhaust at idle i am thinking the idle jets are too big not sure the make or MM of the carbs but the air cleaner tops say dellorta. Pic enclosed of the idle jet looks like it say 70 or 78 not sure.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
wickedinhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 with carb issues Reply with quote

OK i got an id on the carb. Its a dellorto DRLA 40 and from what i read the idle jets should be between 54-58 at sea level which is where i am so the idle jets are way off. I am just wondering which jet 54-58 i should start with?
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 with carb issues Reply with quote

The black smoke might be from the Cam overlap. A bog off idle usually means you are not getting e`nuff accelerator pump when the peddle is pressed. Look down both carb throats and start moving the linkage, you should see gas shooting down carb when you 1st move the linkage, adjust until you do to get rid of the bog. Make sure you are timing it to 30 deg +/- 1deg at 3000 rmp's.
wickedinhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 with carb issues Reply with quote

I just checked and i have fuel on both carbs when the linkage is moved.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 with carb issues Reply with quote

wickedinhere wrote:

Now check the timing as above.
wickedinhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: 68 with carb issues Reply with quote

Put the timing light on it this morning 30 deg on the money.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: 68 with carb issues Reply with quote

Let it idle a few min.s and pull a plug, if it's wet and smells of gas you could have weak spark, if it's black and sooty it's too rich. I would start with the largest recommend jet as you have a cam.
wickedinhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 with carb issues Reply with quote

Yeah i was thinking of pulling a plug and seeing whats going on. I will do that tomorrow but gonna order some 58 idle jets.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 with carb issues Reply with quote

When you have a cam sometimes they are ground a few deg.s +/- so you may need to time your motor to the point where you get pinging at WOT then back it off 2 deg.s. Been there done that. You don't say what dizzy you have, but make sure the advance isn't froze, a drop or two of oil on pad under rotor and make sure you can twist it and it springs back.
wickedinhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: 68 with carb issues Reply with quote

Ok i got the idle jets changed seemed to help some. I went ahead and changed to pertronix points eliminator new coil, cap and rotor. Still off idle bog so i checked the firing order and that's correct. While i was checking that i was grabbing plug wires while the engine was running. I kept getting shocked so i pulled off plug wire number 1 and 2 at the dist and the motor didnt seem to sputter or really change the way it ran at all. Now if i just pull # 4 off the dist the engine almost dies. Could it be that the plug wires are bad and causing a weak spark at idle? I tried pulling a plug but for some reason i couldnt get it out i think my socket is to big to get in there,
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 with carb issues Reply with quote

21mm or 13/16" deep well is your friend ... better if they have the rubber thingy up inside
( snicker snicker ).

I bit the bullet & got a 21 with a built in universal joint on top @ my local FLAPS for $14. Best $ I've spent in a long time.

Hope this helps ... jinx

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
wickedinhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: 68 with carb issues Reply with quote

Yeah i went and got plugs and had to order the wires will be in today. I found a 13/16 plug socket that is magnetic should help with.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: 68 with carb issues Reply with quote

wickedinhere wrote:
While i was checking that i was grabbing plug wires while the engine was running. I kept getting shocked...

Bing-bing-bing-bing! Smile

This is not at all normal. Your plug wires are "leaking"! The insulation on the plug wires should prevent the spark from shocking you AT ALL. As the wires get old and brittle the insulation breaks down and opens small paths for the spark to "leak out" and ground thru you.

wickedinhere wrote:

Just to be clear... from the idle position, if you pull on the throttle cable to open the throttle plates, the accelerator pump should INSTANTLY squirt fuel down into the open throttle plates. If there is ANY noticeable delay between pulling open the throttle plates and the squirting of the fuel, you will get "hesitation".

What model distributor are you running? I'm assuming a mechanical-only advance type like a 009?
If the jets and new plugs+wires doesn't fix your issue you can (as a test)... increase your idle timing to 15BTDC and take her for a short drive. Do NOT over rev on this test drive. The additional advance should help with hesitation off idle. If it does, you might consider adjusting the timing curve on your distributor so you have an idle timing of 15BTDC but still maintain a max of 30BTDC.
Once you finish the test return your idle timing to where it was. Running a high idle timing that allows your total timing to exceed 32BTDC is dangerous when you have a load at higher rpms (eg. at 3500rpm you hit a hill on the highway). Which is why I mentioned NOT over reving.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
wickedinhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 with carb issues Reply with quote

OK guys tanks for the comments.
The dist is a 009 mech advance.
I checked the carbs and they squirt fuel as soon as i touch the throttle.
I pulled plugs on 4 and 2, 4 was dry and you can tell it is running rich. 2 was kinda wet and also black. the gaps were .035 and to big from what i have read. I gaped the plugs and replaced 2and 4 so far with new wires. I will tackle 1 and 3 tomorrow i have added a pic of the plugs the are ngk. 4 is on the left 2 on the right.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
wickedinhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 with carb issues Reply with quote

I was thinking that since the problem seems to be on 1 and 2 cylinders that its got to be a carb issue on that side. I didnt build the car so not sure what was done to the motor. It has an electric fuel pump not sure if it has a regulator i havent found one. I was thinking that maybe to much pressure to the carb? I will check the pressure. What about valve adjustment could them being to tight or loose cause this? I dont hear any valve noise, I am just snowballing.LOL I am leaning to pulling carbs and getting them rebuilt but will check fuel pressure and valves first.
wickedinhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: 68 with carb issues Reply with quote

I pulled the carbs and sent them off for a rebuild since there are off i pulled the intake off so it would be easy to change number one plug. I did a compression check and had 175 on number one and 180 on number two this is suppose to be a 100 horse motor so i figured that was the reason for the high numbers. I will do a compression check on 3 and 4 when i get to that side. I am pretty sure the carbs are the issue so we shall see.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 with carb issues Reply with quote

wickedinhere wrote:
I pulled the carbs and sent them off for a rebuild since there are off i pulled the intake off so it would be easy to change number one plug. I did a compression check and had 175 on number one and 180 on number two this is suppose to be a 100 horse motor so i figured that was the reason for the high numbers. I will do a compression check on 3 and 4 when i get to that side. I am pretty sure the carbs are the issue so we shall see.

That is really high compression! I like around 125 - 145.

Higher typically means the rings are leaking oil and sealing the rings up nicely. Not a good thing to have happen.

What are the numbers on the other two cylinders?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
wickedinhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 68 with carb issues Reply with quote

3 and 4 are 180 also this is suppose to be a built motor 100 HP and runs good in higher rpm's just has that bog down low and runs rough at idle.
wickedinhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: 68 with carb issues Reply with quote

Ok i finally got a fuel pressure gauge and the fuel pressure is at 5psi and should be 3.5 psi max so gotta fuel pressure regulator coming.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: