Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to sell an all original 1968 bus in great condition
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
NewBoise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: How to sell an all original 1968 bus in great condition Reply with quote

Hi. About 5 years ago I stumbled into a 1968 VW bus that had always been kept indoors and is totally rust free, and doesn't need to be restored. All of the glass, rubber, paint, etc, is original. It could probably be in a museum. It's a WA state bus.

I was selling a motorhome, and he offered it as part trade. He had owned the bus since 1990, kept in garage, and hardly used it, aside from regular start ups and trips around the block.

In the last 5 years I just drove it a few times a year on sunny days. I moved to Boise last year, so in the fall I made the long trip here just putted along and it ran so well the whole way. It's in my garage here.

Pre-1990 the bus was owned by one guy who documented every time he bought a tank of gas, all maintenance, etc, in a log book which I have. He drove it down to Arizona, CA, WY, etc. I don't think it was ever a daily driver. It had 96k mi on it and he had a new motor put in at a VW dealer, I've got all the receipts. Since then it has about 40k more.

This bus has a square pop top in the center, it looks like this one:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6989515

It comes with a big blue tent attachment that I've setup and it's in fantastic shape. Like new. Just like everything on the bus.

It has original studded snow tires and wheels, rubber in great shape after all these years: Made in West Germany on the tires.

I don't want to charge too much for this van, but I'd like to get what it's worth. I think it probably belongs in UK or Germany, as that is what a local VW mechanic said. A guy at a VW show in Washington State who owns a super mint bus, the one with all the windows (I'm sure he posts here) looked it over and said a whopping $50k is what I can get for this bus.

I can provide all kinds of photos, video, and have an independent person verify all of this.

Any tips on where to list this for sale? Does this site reach European audience?

Thanks for any advice.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: How to sell an all original 1968 bus in great condition Reply with quote

hi

don't mean to be an asshole (it just comes naturally) but how do you expect a value on a price with no photos?

and I hate to burst your bubble, but you won't get 50K for a run of the mill bay. a perfect perfect perfect late bay camper...yes, but not your bus.

that said, by your description I would say 8200-10,500 tops. but I would need to see some very clear photos.

if you Barrett Jackson the thing, you may get high teens, low 20's. it's about 1K to put the car in and a 5% sellers premium.

so...lets see some GOOD photos, including rockers and wheel wells, floors engine bay etc.

I would have told the 50K guy he was on some pretty good drugs, or told him "look, I will sell it to you for 40K, you can make 10K on it"

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: How to sell an all original 1968 bus in great condition Reply with quote

1. Put it on ebay, describe it honestly, and let the market set the price.

2. You can also put it in the classifieds here, setting the price according to what fairly similar vans are listed for.
scrivyscriv
Samba Electrician

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: How to sell an all original 1968 bus in great condition Reply with quote

Just from my point of view as a mechanic.. a bus with 140k miles and all original everything is not going to be cherry. It may be clean(ish) and mostly dry.. but not cherry. 50k is top of the market for some really, really clean restored BAY WINDOW buses - from what I've seen on facebook groups and here on the classifieds.

Post some good photos. A lot could change based on getting an overseas buyer..
If you're ever in the Memphis area, you are welcome to stop by for advice and help.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: How to sell an all original 1968 bus in great condition Reply with quote

50K is a like new bus with ALL systems up to original quality (mechanical, electrical, and visual) as it left the factory. You might find some restomods that were done by well known shops in that range also but one is paying for the shop name attached to the vehicle.

IMHO on a 1968 $12K to $19K if you wait around long enough for a buyer, and their inspection doesn't see anything that resembles flipping or lipstick on a pig.

Last edited by SGKent on Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: How to sell an all original 1968 bus in great condition Reply with quote

Welcome to TheSamba!

TheSamba classifieds reaches around the world. Please use it to for any advertisement. Selling in the Forums is not allowed.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/

But you are more than welcome to post some pix and ask what it's worth?

How to post photos / How to post a photo in the Forums
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6

Good luck
Tcash
NewBoise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: How to sell an all original 1968 bus in great condition Reply with quote

Hi friends,

Thanks a lot for the advice.

I suppose Ebay can be ok but I'm leary of scammers there. Just be careful I suppose.

It's very "run of the mill" bus. The only thing that distinguishes it, is the fact that it's all original. Open up the rear engine compartment and it looks like new, all original. Everything is just like it was in 1968, for the most part. I always see restored bus. What I have is so original, and perhaps I've watched too many episodes of Antique Roadshow, but I've never washed this bus in the 5 years I've had it. Just keeping it original and not driving it in the rain.

If it's worth $12k fine. $20k whatever. I don't use it and now that I'm out here I want to sell it off and get a really nice classic 4WD truck that I just found for sale in a small town in Montana.

Yeah one guy looked it over and said $50k. I was blown away but maybe he wasn't too serious. Seemed legit. He mentioned that I could make the paint shiny by doing some treatment. Will appreciate more feedback here as I post pictures, probably tomorrow.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: How to sell an all original 1968 bus in great condition Reply with quote

NewBoise wrote:
Yeah one guy looked it over and said $50k. .

Should have offered up the title and keys as fast as you could have Surprised
Quote:
He mentioned that I could make the paint shiny by doing some treatment.

Careful, elbow grease combined with rubbing compound and wax will surely improve it's value, but beware of "snake oil" instant fixes, things usually go downhill fast when you do that.

If you haven't washed it in 5 years and it has a layer of "barn find" scum on it you might try Bring a trailer, those auctions are often suprising in a good way for the seller.

We need pics!

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: How to sell an all original 1968 bus in great condition Reply with quote

NewBoise wrote:

If it's worth $12k fine. $20k whatever. I don't use it and now that I'm out here I want to sell it off and get a really nice classic 4WD truck that I just found for sale in a small town in Montana.

Yeah one guy looked it over and said $50k. I was blown away but maybe he wasn't too serious. Seemed legit. He mentioned that I could make the paint shiny by doing some treatment. Will appreciate more feedback here as I post pictures, probably tomorrow.

sounds like you have a plan, and that's good....move this for something you'll use.

I would NOT buff it out....let the next guy deal with it. some folks dig the ashy look, while others can see the shine thru the ash. I would probably wipe it down gently with a microfiber cloth....or hell, just leave it be. let the next owner have a "vision" for the bus. if you are correct in your description, the bus will look "honest" the way it sits. shining it up and saucing the tires with some snappy shine isn't going to add any money to the sale.

post some photos, it would be cool to see it.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: How to sell an all original 1968 bus in great condition Reply with quote

Just don your asbestos suit before you post pics, tough love is meted outdaily on Samba..... Laughing
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: How to sell an all original 1968 bus in great condition Reply with quote

Might try "bringatrailer.com". A lot of people are over there looking for interesting cars.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: