Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Car starts but quickly stalls out
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShakeyVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Car starts but quickly stalls out Reply with quote

Dwayne1m wrote:
Just so people know what you're referring to since many don't know what all these abbreviations regarding a FI engine stand for, I personally call it the AAR, but here's a pic to show what it looks like. AFM, FPR, CSV, AAR, ECU...., can be a bit overwhelming to someone new trying to learn the FI system.

I sometimes use the wrong term too; it doesn't help that manufacturers use different names for the same Bosch part. I apologize if I confuse people.

VW - Air Flow Meter; Alfa Romeo - Mass Air Flow sensor
VW - Aux Air Valve; Alfa Romeo - Aux Air Regulator
VW - Cold Start Valve; Alfa Romeo - Cold Start Injector
VW - Kasan Red (paint color); Alfa Romeo - 'Arrest-me' Red <-(I couldn't resist!)

I had to replace the wife's AAV ('76 Super) last year. As I was googling the Bosch part number, I found that the price is different, depending upon what car you're buying for (i.e. what supplier you use). Price for a new AAV/AAR is about the same for VW, Fiat, and Alfa Romeo - $150-$160. $1200 for a Porsche. $2400 for a Lamborghini.

I guess if you're driving the last two, you aren't as concerned about price, but certainly don't want any cheap, low-rent, proletariat car parts in your fancy ride! It reminds me of the Jerry Clower story about horse blankets: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6mydHUt1Js

I'm currently battling the AAR on my Alfa; no amount of cleaning or adjusting is giving me the results I'm seeking. I'll probably replace that one too.
...sometimes I get to drive one
johnwiththree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Car starts but quickly stalls out Reply with quote

Thanks for the input. I did do a smoke test and found one small leak. I put a New hose and clamp but still getting the same issue.

the car is trying to start but stalls immediately.

Im thinking that checking fuel pressure would be a good next step. What is the best place and way to test. I have a pressure gage but not sure where to cut it in.

What should pressure be ?

Thanks
johnwiththree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Car starts but quickly stalls out Reply with quote

I completed the smoke test and found a small leak on the AAR hose which was corrected. Still same issue.

I pulled the AAR and used Jimbo suggestion of looking at it at room temp, putting it in the freezer and then in the oven at 160 degrees. The regulator does not seem to move. It is partially open. I have included three pictures to show room temp, freezer and oven.

based on this does it look like the regulator is not working and should be replace? Would it stuck in this position cause the stall out right after start I am getting.

Thanks
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Car starts but quickly stalls out Reply with quote

Don't buy a new one yet....

http://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=7834
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
johnwiththree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Car starts but quickly stalls out Reply with quote

certainly no harm in giving this a try. Thanks
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Car starts but quickly stalls out Reply with quote

Yep! Thats what it does when it stops working correctly!

I have never rebuilt one, but there was a guy in Socal that did. I do not remember his name. Sorry.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
johnwiththree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Car starts but quickly stalls out Reply with quote

I put an Allen wrench in and I can manually move and create a bigger opening. But not able to hold in a wider position. I have a bug guy locally that carries parts and he has a used one (guess they don't make these any more) which he claims is tested and functional for 100 bucks.

Seems like the right choice at this point.

Thanks and will update tomorrow after I swap this out. Either way this part is clearly not working properly.

You have to love the old cars Smile
johnwiththree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Car starts but quickly stalls out Reply with quote

Tonight I replaced AAR and although I'm certain the old part was not working still no start.

I do not have any vacuum leaks, I can turn ignition on and push flap in the air flow regulator and hear the fuel pump energize however I'm not sure I am getting fuel?

Should I next focus on fuel pressure? What is the best way to test the fuel pressure.

The car wants to start but stalls almost immediately.

Thanks
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Car starts but quickly stalls out Reply with quote

Will it run if you shoot small shots of carb cleaner at the air filter nozzle?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
johnwiththree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: Car starts but quickly stalls out Reply with quote

Yes if I shoot fluid into the air I take it will start and run for a short period of time ?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Car starts but quickly stalls out Reply with quote

johnwiththree wrote:
Should I next focus on fuel pressure? What is the best way to test the fuel pressure.

Yes, lets see what it's doing for pressure and flow.
Connect the gauge to the line leading to the cold start valve, any gauge will do as long as it'll handle 50 psi, your local plumbing store likely has something that will work. A 0-200 psi gauge isn't a good choice since the needle movements will be very small, 0-50 or 60 is perfect, you'll need a 5/16" hose barb for it as well.
Also put the end of the open line into a suitable container and confirm it'll pump out 1 liter+ in less than a minute.

Poking the AFM flap to run the pump is a good way to run these tests, remove the green wire from the coil to preserve the points during testing.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
johnwiththree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Car starts but quickly stalls out Reply with quote

I was planning on using my fuel pressure test gage and getting a fitting to put a T in the line.

Are you saying I should leave the line to the cold start open and discharge into a container?

What is the pressure that I should be seeing on the fuel gage and what is the flow? I plan on doing this tonight after I get the fittings.

Thanks for the heads up on disconnecting at the coil. I would have completely missed that
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Car starts but quickly stalls out Reply with quote

You don't need any fittings if you just tie into where it feeds the CSV. Just put the pressure gauge in place of the CSV. The CSV will then be disabled which isn't a problem at the moment.

You're shooting for approximately 35PSI. If you get in that neighborhood let it sit for a while with the engine off and see if the pressure holds or drops.
johnwiththree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Car starts but quickly stalls out Reply with quote

I just pulled the line off the Cold start and put a line on dating into a bucket. Energized the pump with the flap in the air flow sensor. The pump did energize and I got a rush of fuel which immediately became a trickle of fuel. If I kept the pump energized for about 15 seconds the flow stopped completely even though the pump was still energized.

Is it worth rigging up a gage or does this prove up a bad fuel pump ?
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Car starts but quickly stalls out Reply with quote

It may be a bad pump or an inlet line issue. If you are certain the feeder line to the pump is okay, then I would venture TO GUESS that the pump is not functioning correctly. However, being a good mechanic, I would test the pump for pressure and volume, removed from the car, before replacing.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
johnwiththree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Car starts but quickly stalls out Reply with quote

Thanks - I did drive the car a few times so the inlet lines where working then. That is not so say that they didn't plug.

I have another fuel pump and need to replace the rear fuel lines any way. I can check to make certain I am getting fuel through them before I replace. I also need to replace the fuel lines from the tank to the pump so need to take it apart anyway.

I can check the pump once I get it out and before I replace it.

Thanks and will update tomorrow. Hopefully after I take it for a spin around the neighborhood.
johnwiththree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Car starts but quickly stalls out Reply with quote

I changed the pump today and still the same issue. here is what I know

feeder line to the pump are clear. I left some fuel in the tank to see if it would drain and it did when I pulled the pump.

I am getting fuel at the cold start for a split second then it dries right up.

I need some additional fitting to get a pressure gage on and will head to the plumbing supply house in the morning to get them and see what the pressure is when the pump is entergized.

The car wants to start but it really feels like is not getting fuel. After I changed the pump it ran for about 20 second but was struggling. Now nothing at all.

Are there any pressure valves that would stop fuel flow at the start that could be playing into this.

Thanks
Dwayne1m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Car starts but quickly stalls out Reply with quote

other then the FPR & fuel pump there are no mechanical or electrical devices that regulate fuel pressure. Only items I can think of that might impede fuel pressure is a tank that isn't vented properly, clogged/kinked fuel line, or blocked filter. Even if the injectors are clogged or not working at all you should have fuel pressure because it's a continuous loop from the tank, to the pump, to the injectors, to the FPR, then back to the tank.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Car starts but quickly stalls out Reply with quote

Do you have the skills and knowledge to be able to safely bypass the fuel pump relay? I am not there to judge your skillset. Nor am I there to determine your level of workmanship. Working on fuel systems is dangerous. The threat of fire is omnipresent, so I ask you to do a quick tally and let me know how skilled you are?

I do not want you hurting yourself, nor do I want you to cause any property damage. Give me something about yourself to let me know you have some skills in repairing cars and taking the necessary precautions to keep you and everything thing around you safe.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
johnwiththree
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Car starts but quickly stalls out Reply with quote

I have found fittings to get a gage on cold start. I energized with the air flow and I am getting 33 pounds. Pressure 5 minutes after energized dropped to 30 pounds. (pictures attached )

I was not able to get a T fittings so the line is direct to the gage but the pump is working and I am getting flow (at least initially) at the engine so it would tell me lines are not clogged ?

What is confusing to me is the that yesterday when I checked for flow on the same line I did get a rush of fuel and then it died out. Is this how the cold start works?

I know I don't have vacuum leaks, My pump is now working, the lines don't appear to be clogged, the tank feed is flowing based upon leaving a gallon in when I pulled the pump and it came out without an issue.

Now what ? The car was running prior to me changing the alternator. I also changed the spark plugs and spark plug cables. When I first ran into this I put the old cables back on thinking perhaps the new ones don't fit and I wasn't getting ignition from that. No difference

Jimbo thank you for asking about my background. I appreciate that. I am obviously not a mechanic however I have a manufacturing background in the foundry and machining industry. I understand dependency of systems on equipment and that lack of common sense and knowledge creates damage or even worse.

I recently rebuilt a 95 jeep and much like this process I learned a great deal about the vehicles through the help of guys like you. So hydraulics, electrical and pneumatics are something I deal with daily.

From a safety perspective a fire extinguisher is never far away no matter what Im working on. I have seen more machine fires than I would care for.

Any thoughts on logical next steps would be appreciated

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8

Jump to: