Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

tracking down cause of blown fuse
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dberger8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: tracking down cause of blown fuse Reply with quote

hello, Don here, new to this forum. I have a 65 beetle that keeps blowing the right side tail light fuse. whenever I turn on lights it blows instantly, any suggestions on how to track the cause? thanks
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: tracking down cause of blown fuse Reply with quote

dberger8 wrote:
hello, Don here, new to this forum. I have a 65 beetle that keeps blowing the right side tail light fuse. whenever I turn on lights it blows instantly, any suggestions on how to track the cause? thanks

Start with right tail light socket, pull out the bulb, see if still blows a fuse. Like the power wire shorting to the housing (ground).
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
dberger8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: tracking down cause of blown fuse Reply with quote

thank you cusser. I was finagling under the hood because the left side low beam wasn't working. got that fixed but now I'm thinking I must have moved or disturbed other wiring that caused this new problem. the same fuse is connected to the horn, blinkers and a few other things. I think the problem is under the hood in the front somewhere.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: tracking down cause of blown fuse Reply with quote

Get a wiring diagram in front of you and trace each circuit involved- and take a close look at the "58" output of your light switch. I agree with Cusser- you must have a hot lead dead shorted somewhere.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
dberger8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: tracking down cause of blown fuse Reply with quote

thank you, will try that
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: tracking down cause of blown fuse Reply with quote

Replace the fuse with a test light across both of the tabs. Because you have a short it will 'light' up. As you remove bulbs and wiggle wires you may see the test light go out. You've found the short without having a pile of blown fuses.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dberger8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: tracking down cause of blown fuse Reply with quote

thank you runamoc, will purchase a test light and try it. I appreciate the help!
dberger8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: tracking down cause of blown fuse Reply with quote

hella again, runamoc. the fuse that blows only happens when I pull the light switch on. not sure if you thought it blowing as soon as I inserted it, regardless of the light switch position. do I still test it the same way?
WADVR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: tracking down cause of blown fuse Reply with quote

Yes that circuit is switched with the headlamp switch so it makes sense that it only blows the fuse when turned on. I would start with the license plate wire and bulb socket as that circuit splits on the fire wall and powers it as well. You could also use that connect to isolate the tail light and the plate light to test. .

good luck
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: tracking down cause of blown fuse Reply with quote

dberger8 wrote:
hella again, runamoc. the fuse that blows only happens when I pull the light switch on. not sure if you thought it blowing as soon as I inserted it, regardless of the light switch position. do I still test it the same way?

Take the fuse out, connect the test light to the two fuse 'tabs'. Pull the light switch on, the test light should 'lite up'. Start by pulling different wires off of the light switch one at a time till the light goes out or very dim.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dberger8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: tracking down cause of blown fuse Reply with quote

thanks, I will try that tomorrow. test light did go on between fuse terminals like you said. will try the one at a time method. what ever one makes the test light go off is the culprit, correct? thanks for the help, hope I'm not a pain in the butt
Sad
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: tracking down cause of blown fuse Reply with quote

Quote:
what ever one makes the test light go off is the culprit, correct

Correct, a bright light going out is the short. It maybe be dim but bright going out you have found the short
dberger8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: tracking down cause of blown fuse Reply with quote

hi again, the light goes out when I pull the wire off of the top connector closest to the front of the car. it then splits with one end going to the fuel gauge light and the other going to the 3rd fuse position from the passenger side. there is a wire exiting the fuse block meeting with a bunch of other wires wrapped up heading into the driver side fender well. not sur what to do from here. no jiggling makes the light go out. guess ill have to take it to a shop, thanks for your help
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: tracking down cause of blown fuse Reply with quote

Post a pic of the fusebox connections in the area you are troubleshooting. Often POs rewire and relocate wires, so we can't tell just form the wiring diagram.
rcmartinez63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: tracking down cause of blown fuse Reply with quote

I have my electric fuel pump on my 62 Vert, wired to the fuse that controls my signal lights and for what ever reason as soon as I turn on the ignition the fuse blows.
Any suggestions as to why? Was working perfectly fine and started after I changed my rear taillight bulb.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: tracking down cause of blown fuse Reply with quote

rcmartinez63 wrote:
I have my electric fuel pump on my 62 Vert, wired to the fuse that controls my signal lights and for what ever reason as soon as I turn on the ignition the fuse blows.
Any suggestions as to why? Was working perfectly fine and started after I changed my rear taillight bulb.

I'd separate that electric fuel pump from any other fuses/circuits if it was mine.

Actually - I'd use a mechanical fuel pump if mine !!!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: tracking down cause of blown fuse Reply with quote

dberger8 wrote:
thank you cusser. I was finagling under the hood because the left side low beam wasn't working. got that fixed but now I'm thinking I must have moved or disturbed other wiring that caused this new problem. the same fuse is connected to the horn, blinkers and a few other things. I think the problem is under the hood in the front somewhere.

Something is wrong here. These old Bugs had 8 fuses, 4 for headlights (1 each for each high beam and low beam), 2 tail light fuses (1 for the left tail light, the other for the right tail light and license plate light), 1 constant hot fuse (dome light, radio), and 1 ignition switched hot fuse (brake lights, turn signals, horn.) Some things are originally unfused, the ignition coil and front parking lights on US spec cars (IMHO that was a really bad idea on VWs part.)
Crew Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: tracking down cause of blown fuse Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
Replace the fuse with a test light across both of the tabs. Because you have a short it will 'light' up. As you remove bulbs and wiggle wires you may see the test light go out. You've found the short without having a pile of blown fuses.

I'm having the same issue except over the last month or so I've replaced all my switches cleaned all the grounds, and everything works,

But whenever I have the headlight and running lights on and hit the turn signal it blows the number one fuse ?
The number one fuse is switch power.... so the switch powered will make the light come on. if I'm correct?
so I would not be able to use this method to trace down these short. Am I correctam or not? I'm not the best for the wine I've been fighting this thing for over two months one problem goes away when I rewire all those switches but then some thing else doesn't work? this is the closest I've been to getting them all to work and everything work properly. This afternoon I might try taking all the bulbs out of each corner and see if it still blows?
I could use some help if you guys don't mind thanks and advance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: tracking down cause of blown fuse Reply with quote

Crew Dad wrote:
But whenever I have the headlight and running lights on and hit the turn signal it blows the number one fuse ?
The number one fuse is switch power.... so the switch powered will make the light come on. if I'm correct?

It sounds like you are powering the headlight switch off the number 1 fuse. The headlight switch is supposed to receive constant hot power, the head lights and tail lights are fused after the headlight switch.
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: tracking down cause of blown fuse Reply with quote

Just checking that you are aware of the wiring diagrams for your car:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiringt1.php

Crew Dad wrote:

I'm having the same issue except over the last month or so I've replaced all my switches cleaned all the grounds, and everything works,

so I would not be able to use this method to trace down these short. Am I correct am or not? I'm not the best for the wine I've been fighting this thing for over two months one problem goes away when I rewire all those switches but then some thing else doesn't work? this is the closest I've been to getting them all to work and everything work properly. This afternoon I might try taking all the bulbs out of each corner and see if it still blows?
I could use some help if you guys don't mind thanks and advance.

As you face the trunk side of the fuse box, which one are you calling the #1 fuse? Left or right?

A picture would help
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: