Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hiccup while driving thru Canada
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mathew Zelezen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Hiccup while driving thru Canada Reply with quote

Hi all. I ned your help as we drive thru the Canadian wilds.
I'm driving across country in Ontario on our way from Pennsylvania to California and I'm starting to experience what I can only describe as a fuel hiccup when accelrating over 90 kh/hr. It stumbles for a half a second then resumes. Prior to leaving I replaced the AFM and fuel filter (as well as a full tuneup) so I'm currently ruling out the Vanagon Syndrome.
Any ideas of what this might be?

We're on our way (hopefully!) to Serpent River campground so I should be able to dive a little deeper in the next 2 hours.
Thanks!

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these: It might have been.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gruppe B
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Hiccup while driving thru Canada Reply with quote

Hello,
The owner of the Serpent River Campground may be able to assist somewhat. His name is Garry and was the builder of Vanalong, a stretched Vanagon Camper.

Sorry, I only experienced that once on travels and it may have been a bad tank of Gas. A year later I lost all power over 40km/hr and replaced the tank, filter and pump and the issue never returned.
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Hiccup while driving thru Canada Reply with quote

put in the gas tank a can of SeaFoam or Liqui Moly injector cleaner to see if it help... and check all the vacuum lines for leak.
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Hiccup while driving thru Canada Reply with quote

Vanagon syndrome. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=674159&highlight=vanagon+syndrome

Varying your speed, i.e. drive like a wacky old man should get you to a repair place and either go cheap with the soldered diode or buy one of these.

http://www.vancafe.com/025906302AAFT_p/025906302aaft.htm
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Hiccup while driving thru Canada Reply with quote

since you asked for any ideas

the fuel pump relay may be getting hot and unlatching for a moment.

the IGN switch may be developing a bad spot.

the O2 sensor may be getting old or providing a vague signal- try unplugging the wire, don't let it short to gnd.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Hiccup while driving thru Canada Reply with quote

Might be worth running a fuel dryer if it's been awhile — and especially if never done.

Fuel filter clean?

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Hiccup while driving thru Canada Reply with quote

it would be good to know if it is truly fuel or maybe electrical. does your tach do anything during the faltering? is it at a specific RPM or is it totally related to road speed? ambient temperature have any effect? each time you hit 90kph or only after running a while? manual or auto? year van?

just finished a wonderful trip across Ontario and back, what a wonderful province. be sure to stop frequently at the 'chip stands', each are different and there's a treasure of one at Schreiber on the north end of Superior.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
SurfaceRust
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Hiccup while driving thru Canada Reply with quote

Check your battery and alternator
I had a very similar problem with my van while traveling. If the battery is bad it will cause a hiccup for a brief moment. You can go to an auto parts store and have it checked for free. I also recommend looking at how old it is. They start to become unreliable after about 5-7 years.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Hiccup while driving thru Canada Reply with quote

we've also had the wires in the distributor HALL sensor wires chafe and touch lightly causing an occasional momentary sputter..

happens both at the plug and inside from the plug to the sensor.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:23 am    Post subject: Re: Hiccup while driving thru Canada Reply with quote

check the AFM harness... it should be connected tight with NO tension on it...
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Hiccup while driving thru Canada Reply with quote

Double post, delete

Last edited by Wildthings on Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Hiccup while driving thru Canada Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
You should add a ground wire to the AFM and install the Vanagon Syndrome capacitor no matter what. You can also add a short section of aircraft wire to go around the "swing" contact in the AFM.

Check that none of the wire terminals have pushed out of the plug for the AFM or any of the senders.
Mathew Zelezen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Hiccup while driving thru Canada Reply with quote

Hey all!
I really appreciate all your input, it's great having this resource.. especially when traveling.
So I checked out all of the wiring to the Hall Sender, 02 and AFM at the campsite and everything looked nice and tight. In preparation for this trip I made a brand new wire harness for the engine which made a world if difference. The AFM is a rebuild unit with the capacitor I purchased from B.D. that I installed 2 weeks ago and my battery is only a year old.

I don't usually put much merit into products that promise amazing results and like them to that scene from My Big Fat Greek Wedding where the Dad squirts Windex on any ailment.. but I tried the SeaFoam suggestion with a tank of high octane and the hiccup hasn't come back once. Drove all day to Marathon, Ontario and it ran strong.
Groupee B, I ran into Jerry at Serpent River.. nice guy! He sold Vanalong to a fellow in Thunder Bay 2 years ago because he didn't use it as much as he would have liked. And you were right about this stretch of highway. Amazing scenery. Now to find that Chip Shop!

Thanks again everyone for getting us back on the right track!

Of all sad words of tongue or pen, the saddest are these: It might have been.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Hiccup while driving thru Canada Reply with quote

just an FYI, if you get the idea to cross the Mackinac bridge
it's $4 each way, https://goo.gl/maps/qPbsMXJUYGR2
and I felt worth it when we went that way last Sept.

there's a historical trading post at the south end of the bridge
https://goo.gl/maps/MgvqQEtUEkJ2
0to60in6min
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Hiccup while driving thru Canada Reply with quote

Quote:
but I tried the SeaFoam suggestion with a tank of high octane and the hiccup hasn't come back once.

now... how about a can of SeaFoam before every oil change?
Thom and the Flat Rats
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Hiccup while driving thru Canada Reply with quote

Double check the octane level of the gas you buy. I found out when I drove across Canada that Regular gas is not always 87 which is needed for our vans. Sometimes I needed to use a mid grade gas to get the right octane level.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Hiccup while driving thru Canada Reply with quote

Thom and the Flat Rats wrote:
Double check the octane level of the gas you buy. I found out when I drove across Canada that Regular gas is not always 87 which is needed for our vans. Sometimes I needed to use a mid grade gas to get the right octane level.

There are several systems for rating octane so numbers don't mean much unless the rating system on the pump and in the manual are the same, which they usually are not in North America. These engines should be able to run on any regular gas sold in the US and Canada. It is flat out difficult to get a waterboxer engine to knock so little worries there.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Hiccup while driving thru Canada Reply with quote

^^^ Yep, and as you go up in altitude you can also use a lower octane rated gas. Often I see 85 octane offered as regular in the higher elevations (relative to the east coast that is).

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Hiccup while driving thru Canada Reply with quote

Mathew Zelezen wrote:
Hey all!
I really appreciate all your input, it's great having this resource.. especially when traveling.
So I checked out all of the wiring to the Hall Sender, 02 and AFM at the campsite and everything looked nice and tight. In preparation for this trip I made a brand new wire harness for the engine which made a world if difference. The AFM is a rebuild unit with the capacitor I purchased from B.D. that I installed 2 weeks ago and my battery is only a year old.

I don't usually put much merit into products that promise amazing results and like them to that scene from My Big Fat Greek Wedding where the Dad squirts Windex on any ailment.. but I tried the SeaFoam suggestion with a tank of high octane and the hiccup hasn't come back once. Drove all day to Marathon, Ontario and it ran strong.
Groupee B, I ran into Jerry at Serpent River.. nice guy! He sold Vanalong to a fellow in Thunder Bay 2 years ago because he didn't use it as much as he would have liked. And you were right about this stretch of highway. Amazing scenery. Now to find that Chip Shop!

Thanks again everyone for getting us back on the right track!

Not trying to be a debby downer, but just be aware the problem may not be gone. I have masked over bad coil packs, spark plugs, and a bad injector with high octane gas and some seafoam. So, just be aware. I have also cured some stumbles with high octane fuel and seafoam, so keep trucking until it gets worse.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
Mellow Yellow 74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Hiccup while driving thru Canada Reply with quote

I had a similar hiccup problem and it turned out to be water in the fuel caused by a crack in one of the fuel expansion tanks under the front doors. I have a coarse prefilter on the inlet to the fuel pump and could see the water floating on top of the fuel. I replaced the tank and drained the filter and the problem disappeared.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: